Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549297 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5580 on: October 28, 2015, 08:35:24 am »

That $6000 would take us SIX YEARS TO PAY OFF. If we didn't eat or turn on heat in winter or any other basic functions that are serviced by money.

And mom HAD insurance before Obamacare.
Then POOF, it disappeared and now she can't see a doctor to even KNOW if some catastrophic illness is going on.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: October 28, 2015, 08:36:06 am »

What happened to her insurance?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: October 28, 2015, 08:37:47 am »

When the ACA passed, many policies were considered "Not compliant" by it, and those policies were basically subsidizing other, better policies offered by ensurers.

When those weaker policies were no longer salable, the better ones were not profitable, and were stopped being offered. As a consequence, many people who DID have good insurance, stopped having good insurance.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: October 28, 2015, 08:38:35 am »

*facedesk* Did you not read BFELs posts?

On the removing the insurance companies, the problem becomes 'what do we replace them with?'

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: October 28, 2015, 08:39:42 am »

Obama
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: October 28, 2015, 08:42:06 am »

Prior to my "Whoa, suddenly unemployed!" status earlier this year, my own insurance rate through my employer went up over 30%, as a consequence of the added costs involved with offering ACA compliant policies by the remaining insurers. Mine was blue-cross- blue- shield.  The deductable went up 200%, the covered expenses list got trimmed hard, and the total cost of the policy went up 30%.  Where previously I could visit a doctor or get medicine from the pharmacy with a 20$ co-pay, now I had a 2000$ deductable, and other bullshit.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:00:48 am by wierd »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5586 on: October 28, 2015, 08:44:22 am »

Careful perusal of BFEL's posts reveals that he at no point mentioned that it was because of Obamacare that the insurance disappeared. You might be assuming that Sheb had context that he didn't.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: October 28, 2015, 08:45:00 am »

On the removing the insurance companies, the problem becomes 'what do we replace them with?'

Sorry, "Then POOF, it disappeared " isn't exactly descriptive. I'm 90% certain her insurance company didn't literally disappear in a puff of smoke, so I wanted more details.

wierd: I've heard of crappy insurance policy being scrapped, but what you're saying don't really make sense. Insurance company are making more money due to all the healthy younger people being forced to sign up for insurance. Plus, I doubt they were subisidising good plans out of the goodness of their heart pre-Obamacare.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: October 28, 2015, 08:47:23 am »

"What the entire world except America uses" would be a good starting point. In Australia, I'm completely covered no matter what happens, can go to a hospital anytime I need to without ever needing to give a shit about it. So can any citizen ... AND the Australian government ends up spending less per capita than the American government spends on your health.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:51:55 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: October 28, 2015, 08:47:59 am »

Anyways, while my own insurance (Tricare btw) is unaffected as far as I know, the whole ACA was an attempt at universial healthcare, but the problem is that there is no such thing as 'one size fits all' when it comes to healthcare.

I don't know how 'universial healthcare' works in other countries though, maybe other forumers can chime in on that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: October 28, 2015, 08:49:23 am »

wierd: I've heard of crappy insurance policy being scrapped, but what you're saying don't really make sense. Insurance company are making more money due to all the healthy younger people being forced to sign up for insurance. Plus, I doubt they were subisidising good plans out of the goodness of their heart pre-Obamacare.

Hey, welcome to America! *gives a massive shrug*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: October 28, 2015, 08:49:51 am »

Better insurance through employers revolves around group bargaining.

Insurers are more willing to give a nod to large insurance pools with risk factors (say, machinists, et al, who tend to get fingers amputated in milling machines, etc.) when they (insurers) have reliable outside income sources (say, selling more minimalist insurance to florists, who are less likely to be seriously injured on the job), because the total company risks are mitigated.  It's the fungability of money in action.

When other aggregate revinue streams dry up, then the insurers are MUCH less willing to make such nods, and look to placate their stock holders and other financially interested parties. As such, they focus on insuring only people that are wealthy and unlikely to suffer harm (EG, take a payout.)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: October 28, 2015, 08:50:13 am »

Anyways, while my own insurance (Tricare btw) is unaffected as far as I know, the whole ACA was an attempt at universial healthcare, but the problem is that there is no such thing as 'one size fits all' when it comes to healthcare.

I don't know how 'universial healthcare' works in other countries though, maybe other forumers can chime in on that.

You know "universal healthcare" doesn't mean everyone has to get the same treatment, right?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: October 28, 2015, 08:53:31 am »

You know "universal healthcare" doesn't mean everyone has to get the same treatment, right?

I don't know, the definition of "Universial Healthcare" never seems to get pinned down around here, "around here" being the US.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: October 28, 2015, 08:53:56 am »

Remember though, before Obamacare, most policies had an upper limit that they would cover over your lifetime. If you had something serious happen, many times this upper limit would be hit and suddenly when you had to have cancer treatment, or extensive surgery after a car crash or other severe accident, your insurance would just fly the coop. "Nope, you're too expensive, bye."

Do people fall through the cracks? Certainly. Is it still a less than ideal and in many ways screwed up system? Sure. Are some people who were fine before in trouble now? Very likely.

But it has still helped more people than it hurt. It's just shaken things up a bit and that's made it uncomfortable for us who thought we were fine before.

You hear a lot of anecdotal situations. But it's typically the people who get screwed that you hear complaining. The people for whom it's working don't have time to go out there and proselytize the system, nor do they really want to because it's still an annoyance and an expense and still essentially a system where you're betting against your own health which is the main reason why it and all other insurance systems are screwed up.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1342