Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548834 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5610 on: October 28, 2015, 10:48:37 am »

So....any predictions for the GOP debate tonight?

Whoever has the best economic knowledge? One thing that is guaranteed is Trump and Fiorina arguing about who's the better businessperson.

Also, Maniac and other people with economics majors, you ready to be our resident economists for tonights debate? The whole thing is going to be about the economy, though I'm sure they'll try to derail it.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2015/10/donald-trump-cnbc-debate-will-be-unfair-215243
Wut, you don't like the scrutiny that you get from being a frontrunner (or rather, second place as it is now)? That or Trump is afraid of answering economic questions. Although what he said on twitter (in the article, I don't read his twitter, nor do I wish to look at it) sound heavy with sarcasm.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:56:46 am by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: October 28, 2015, 10:54:57 am »

Yup. I expect that trump will derail with a circular explanation that explains nothing, a la:

How will you make america great again?

"I'll make america great again!"

That seems to be his MO on difficult questions like that.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: October 28, 2015, 10:58:56 am »

I fail to see where I called him any names at all.

I'm sorry, it must have been extremely annoying to you that I stated that something happened but the evidence pointed towards something else that was related but not the same.

Hey now, mainiac is rarely rude. He's passive-aggressive.  :P

:P

Also, Maniac and other people with economics majors, you ready to be our resident economists for tonights debate?

I will be in class so I can not.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: October 28, 2015, 11:00:43 am »

Followed with nobody on the stage (and sometimes the moderators) really catching him on the vague answers and challenging him on it. Followed by even more dodging by Trump.

Also, Maniac and other people with economics majors, you ready to be our resident economists for tonights debate?

I will be in class so I can not.

No prob on that, you can always give your analysis later. :)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:33 am »

Mainiac, I will not rise to that bait.

I will simply point out that expecting specifics from a topic where specifics are not attainable, as directly asserted by the authorities themselves, is patently dishonest as an arguementative tactic. Your rebuttle is specious, and I expect better of somebody of your intelligence. You have shown nothing to say I am incorrect. Only that you disagree. That does not make me wrong, and certainly does not make you correct.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: October 28, 2015, 11:24:49 am »

Tonight is kinda Fiorina's last gasp, imho. She's seen big surges in poll numbers after the last couple of debates, but then that support seems to rapidly erode as she says various stupid (and/or untrue) shit. She seems to have a pathology for making shit up out of whole cloth.

I'm more interested in the "mainstream" candidates like Bush, Rubio and Kasich. Are they going to play it safe and just let the frontrunners embarrass themselves, or do they go on the attack, try to appeal to the rational Republicans still remaining, and risk further pissing off the activist base?

Also interested to see if some of the bottom-feeding candidates like Santorum, Graham, Jindal and Pataki finally drop out afterwards.

In other news, the House votes today on the Boehner budget bill and man...are there some pissed-off right-wingers.
Marco Rubio, Rand Paul and Paul Ryan have all vowed to fight the bill (despite the fact that it's very similar to the budget deal Ryan proposed a few years back when he was still a darling of the Tea Party, and Ryan's objections seem to be mostly posturing to improve his street cred with the Pitchfork Caucus that he'll need to win the Speakership, which is also on today's docket).

Erick Erickson (of RedState) is declaring open warfare on any Republican who supports the bill (and is directing readers to funnel money to specific PACs to primary-challenge those who do).

The Federalist calls it a "disaster for the Republican Party", and they're right to an extent -- by setting budget levels for the next two years and raising the debt ceiling till 2017, it means Obama can finish out his term without any more fiscal hostage situations, and the Tea Party will go into the 2016 election season without the capacity to force anything. They've lost the Planned Parenthood defunding fight, they got pre-empted on a government shutdown and on the debt ceiling, they STILL haven't repealed Obamacare, and they couldn't even get a True Believer into the Speaker's chair. And now quite a few in the Freedom Caucus are being threatened with primary challenges for backing Paul Ryan. The crazies could get voted out because they're not crazy ENOUGH.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: October 28, 2015, 11:25:37 am »

Apparently Trump has talked about technology in an intelligent manner in a brief interview with Milo Yiannopoulos: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/10/27/exclusive-donald-trump-to-breitbart-tech-artificial-intelligence-creators-users-should-consider-ethical-and-moral-consequences/

He's actually starting to sound like a politician.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: October 28, 2015, 11:33:36 am »

Paul Ryan isn't so much angry at the bill itself than angry at the proccess that created it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: October 28, 2015, 11:38:56 am »

That sounds like a surprisingly reasonable reason to be angry.

however, since we are discussing american politics, statistically I must reject this perfectly sane rationale in preference of a batshit crazy one.

any contenders?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: October 28, 2015, 11:45:04 am »

That sounds like a surprisingly reasonable reason to be angry.

however, since we are discussing american politics, statistically I must reject this perfectly sane rationale in preference of a batshit crazy one.

any contenders?

His alien lizard overlords are putting pressure on him?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: October 28, 2015, 11:53:13 am »

The Republicans are just fighting their ancient enemy: government stability.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: October 28, 2015, 11:57:10 am »

Paul Ryan isn't so much angry at the bill itself than angry at the proccess that created it.
Yeah, that's what he's saying at least.

Part of that Federalist article was pointing out that for all his supposed anger, he's not doing much to organize pushback against the bill. Though I'm not exactly sure what the author would have him do -- chain himself to his seat with a rope made out of American flags and subsist only on freedom and bald eagle tears until the bill is defeated?

Let's keep in mind that this is a guy being pushed into a job he doesn't really want, and in which he has to rely on at least some support from a minority of batshit-crazy people in his own party in order to carry out. Part of what he has to do now is to curry favor with that batshit-crazy group in order to be able to do the job.

Part of me actually wonders if this isn't an elaborate political hit job, and when Ryan comes up for the Speakership vote in front of the whole House, the Freedom Caucus is going to reneg on their deal and vote against him. It would be kinda glorious to watch.

EDIT: CNN got Lindsey Graham to play (a PG-rated version) of "Fuck, Marry, Kill" on live TV.

I'm not actually sure who I feel more disgusted at, CNN for turning politics into a drinking game, or Lindsey Graham for his choices (Palin, Fiorina, Clinton in that order).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:01:57 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: October 28, 2015, 12:13:52 pm »

Lindsey Graham DID say that Washington should drink more. Also, with Graham having grown up around the bar scene pratically all his life, it seems like he would know better than to fall into that trap which he got ensnared in.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: October 28, 2015, 12:18:11 pm »

Which got me wondering, what would be YOUR choice at the same question, RedKing? I think I might switch around Clinton and Fiorina.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: October 28, 2015, 12:34:20 pm »

Depends...are we constraining our responses to political figures? Cause I dunno about you, but politicians are generally the last people that come to mind when building a hottie list.

Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 1342