Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548497 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5355 on: October 19, 2015, 04:37:24 pm »

Huh, fair enough. It doesn't seem to me that it would be hard to design a machine that can do those measurements to the same degree as a human, and much faster, but you know the field and I don't, so perhaps I'm pulling a classic Pointy Haired Boss and starting from the assumption that everything I don't know how to do is easy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: October 19, 2015, 04:43:58 pm »

So anyway, how 'bout them drones? I haven't quite decided if this is a sensible move or not, or if it could be accomplished with less onerous regulation, but this seems to be a thing that's happening whether we like it or not. The article makes it sound like the current rules would be enough if people would actually follow them, so they're moving up to this. It also says that drones don't have any kind of identification on them though, and that unless it is actually in an accident they have no way of telling who owns it or even that it's actually there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:46:35 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: October 19, 2015, 05:31:07 pm »

I feel like droning is the natural extension of the public's phone-based lifestyle. With just your phone you'd obsessively selfie and video yourself doing everything. Now with a drone, you can turn from narcissism to voyeurism. "Someone's house is burning down? Cool! Let me check it out with the drone. Oh rad, someone is actually burning to death on the 3rd floor! Youtube fame, here I come!"

And when drone trolling becomes a thing...oh man. Like mounting a light weight klaxon on your drone and then piloting it into a crowded place and turning it on.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:35:21 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: October 19, 2015, 06:53:09 pm »

The bad news is that the Democratic party is about as organized as a sack of cats. The fact that they're more organized than the republicans is.... impressive but not in a positive sense. The Democratic strategy seems to remain "Become Republican."

The Republican party is the party of a higher minimum wage, the right to organize, maternal and paternal leave, using executive orders to regulate too big to fail banks, keeping Obamacare, overturning Citizens United and having the EPA slap fines on people that dont meet emissions targets?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: October 19, 2015, 07:01:06 pm »

The bad news is that the Democratic party is about as organized as a sack of cats. The fact that they're more organized than the republicans is.... impressive but not in a positive sense. The Democratic strategy seems to remain "Become Republican."

The Republican party is the party of a higher minimum wage, the right to organize, maternal and paternal leave, using executive orders to regulate too big to fail banks, keeping Obamacare, overturning Citizens United and having the EPA slap fines on people that dont meet emissions targets?

I was confused until I saw the question mark at the end.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: October 19, 2015, 07:04:07 pm »

I will bury

the lede.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: October 19, 2015, 09:06:24 pm »

The bad news is that the Democratic party is about as organized as a sack of cats.

Doesn't that pretty much describe every political party ever?

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/jim-webb-democrats-independent-214929
Eh? Webb wants to maybe run as an Independent? I don't know if he plans on staying in the general election, but while I doubt he'll pull off a Ralph Nader, he may pull enough democrat votes to affect a close race.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:01:51 pm by smjjames »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: October 19, 2015, 10:06:51 pm »

Could always have another flip. :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: October 19, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »

Could always have another flip. :P

Yeah, the Democrats and Republicans were on opposite sides at one point weren't they? Still, such a flip isn't going to happen overnight, it'd take decades, and at this point it'd be a really extreme flip because right now they are polar opposites.

Also, 'Biden runs for president rumors' hype!

Edit: Made some clarification, heh.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:29:04 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: October 19, 2015, 10:28:29 pm »

He finally put his hat in the running?

Not yet, maybe I should have said ''biden runs for president rumors' hype!' Theres sources saying that the potential Biden campaign team is being assembled, so....... only Biden knows at this point really.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: October 19, 2015, 10:57:16 pm »

Everything I read says it's unlikely to happen after the lovefest that was the first democratic primary.  Biden is unlikely to win unless Hillary collapses under BENGAZI BENGAZI BENGAZI.  The debate showed that is unlikely to happen.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: October 20, 2015, 12:37:10 am »

Everything I read says it's unlikely to happen after the lovefest that was the first democratic primary.  Biden is unlikely to win unless Hillary collapses under BENGAZI BENGAZI BENGAZI.  The debate showed that is unlikely to happen.
I can see insults of "Biden is a closet Sandersite" incoming. It would have split the Democratic establishment.

That said, having an establishment doesn't mean that it is also duper organized.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: October 20, 2015, 01:05:11 am »

It would split democratic establishment voters.  The establishment wouldn't because Democratic politicians tend not to jump ship after they endorse and most national democratic politicians have already made an endorsement.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: October 20, 2015, 01:21:47 am »

It would split democratic establishment voters.  The establishment wouldn't because Democratic politicians tend not to jump ship after they endorse and most national democratic politicians have already made an endorsement.
Unless Sanders might get a plurality in this case, and Sanders could in theory pull a Corbyn there...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: October 20, 2015, 10:34:46 am »

Jim Webb is dropping out. Whether he is dropping out entirely or just going independent instead, I don't know.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/jim-webb-quit-democratic-primary-n447736

I seriously doubt he can pull off a Ralph Nader, but if it's a close race, he might be able to affect it. However, I'm sure most everybody here remembers the 2000 elections.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:36:43 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 1342