Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547844 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4995 on: October 07, 2015, 02:30:19 pm »

I want to get off of Mr. Boehner's wild ride.

The last time it took multiple ballots to elect a speaker was 1923, when it took nine, and in the 19th century it took as long as two months for the House to agree on a leader. This year, the House just doesn’t have that kind of time. Congress must lift the debt limit to avoid a first-ever default within a week of the scheduled election for speaker, according to the Treasury Department, and it must pass another spending bill by December 11 to prevent a government shutdown.

BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELTS BOYS

Constitutionally do we even need a Speaker of the House? The position olny seems to be strictly necessary if he president becomes incapacitated.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: October 07, 2015, 02:36:42 pm »

Well, the House has the right to determine its own House Rules. And I'm fairly certain they require a Speaker to be able to do anything.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: October 07, 2015, 02:37:59 pm »

Dammit, how can people chose the bland that is Clinton over the awesome-sauce that is Elizibeth Warren?  This poll is rigged.

I think Clinton may have a better chance of winning the general election than Warren or Sanders, even though I think they'd both be better than her. Mostly due to name recognition and the fact that Sanders is hampered by the fact that a large segmemt of the voting population is still brainwashed by cold war era propaganda. Clinton is worse than Warren but better than whatever Republican might be elected if we don't put forth a strong candidate
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: October 07, 2015, 02:40:07 pm »

Well, the House has the right to determine its own House Rules. And I'm fairly certain they require a Speaker to be able to do anything.
Indeed.  The only way to change it would be to change the rules of order, and that would be opening an even bigger hornets' nest than simply choosing a new one. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: October 07, 2015, 03:19:56 pm »

Is Boehner just trolling deciding to step down at this moment in time, or was he up for re-election for Majority Leader, or what?

Because as far as the Republican establishment goes, his timing was damn inconvenient for them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: October 07, 2015, 03:24:38 pm »

I want to get off of Mr. Boehner's wild ride.

The last time it took multiple ballots to elect a speaker was 1923, when it took nine, and in the 19th century it took as long as two months for the House to agree on a leader. This year, the House just doesn’t have that kind of time. Congress must lift the debt limit to avoid a first-ever default within a week of the scheduled election for speaker, according to the Treasury Department, and it must pass another spending bill by December 11 to prevent a government shutdown.

BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELTS BOYS

Bohener could have just postponed it, but he didn't.

At least in todays lightning fast wired and wirelessed world, we don't have to wait for word to get to people.

'parliamentary chess moves' in that article, wut. I think saying congressional or just political would have worked fine. Meh, just me nitpicking.

Is Boehner just trolling deciding to step down at this moment in time, or was he up for re-election for Majority Leader, or what?

Because as far as the Republican establishment goes, his timing was damn inconvenient for them.

I suspect it's a major troll on Boheners part, yes. Heck, even the timing of the election, he COULD have postponed it, but nope, he decided not to.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: October 07, 2015, 03:26:05 pm »

It honestly really does look like either the Pope convinced him to step down, or that meeting the Pope gave him an existential crisis. Not a common part of politics at this level, but I don't think it's impossible he legitimately wants out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: October 07, 2015, 03:27:43 pm »

I'm going to add a filter to my browser to replace "shutdown" with "shitstorm."

Does it bother anyone else that procedural conflicts in the fossilized wing of the US legislature alone could cause so much trouble?

Hopefully the entire federal government will collapse and when the New California Republic rises from the ashes we'll take some time to make a functional legislative body.

It's not so much the procedural conflicts than the sheer timing.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: October 07, 2015, 04:07:04 pm »

If it weren't for the debt ceiling coming up, they could indeed wrassle 'til the cows come home, for all anyone would expect much to come out of the House.  Thankfully, Boehner doesn't actually retire until the 30th (what he's given is basically just advance notice), and that article includes indications from the Rules Committee that he would remain as what would essentially be a lame duck should the expected difficulties in finding a successor materialize, given that he placed the vote for his successor before his retirement.   In other words, postponing it is exactly what he could still do. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 04:10:12 pm by Culise »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: October 07, 2015, 04:52:41 pm »

It's not a troll, he was planning on resigning in November anyway. I think he's resigning now, partially because he's accomplished his life goal of meeting the pope, and partially because he just doesn't see a reason to take all of the abuse he'll get for stopping the shutdown.

Clinton is worse than Warren but better than whatever Republican might be elected if we don't put forth a strong candidate
#haveyoutriedkasich

srsly though. quash kasich is great.

• Not gonna be stupid about gay marriage.
  • Give illegal immigrants amnesty if they pay a fine.
  • Believes climate change is a problem. (although, being small government, he probably won't do much about it. Maybe just a little.)
  • He's not against the safety net.

"I’m concerned about the fact there seems to be a war on the poor."

kasich is not insasich.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: October 07, 2015, 05:00:09 pm »

Theres rumblings that the conservatives are backing Daniel Webster of Florida more and more.

Looking at the guy in wikipedia, his early years are a bit interesting, but he seems to be your typical far-right religious conservative. Going to see if I can find out more.

kasich is not insasich.

That's a bad pun, just bad......

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: October 07, 2015, 05:01:06 pm »

Believes climate change is a problem. (although, being small government, he probably won't do much about it. Maybe just a little.)
So he wants to destroy the world, gotcha.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: October 07, 2015, 05:07:49 pm »

Less than the other republicans, though! Somewhat. It's a plus.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: October 07, 2015, 05:15:29 pm »

Hm, that Daniel Webster seems to be okayish, for a republican anyway, doesn't look like he is in the far right area or tea partier, aside from his position on abortion and religion in schools. A skim didn't seem to find anything that stands out.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: October 07, 2015, 05:35:39 pm »

Doesn't he only care about the poor when seone else is doing along with the funding?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1342