Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547795 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4950 on: October 06, 2015, 12:57:34 am »

you can throw grenades at people in Sweden and get a misdomener?

Iirc the Swedish equivalent to "misdemeanor" is crimes only punishable by fines, so no. But in a more equivalent sentencing way, yes. But past tense, since they changed it. You'd also add additional charges if you actually hurt or kill someone, of course. But the use of a hand grenade is now considered equivalent to other weapons in a "I am trying to hurt people when I use this thing" kind of way.

Dear lord I'm hoping to all gods that this gets brought up in one of those Facebook "sweden's gun-related deaths are so low!" postings. TWIST ENDING: their grenade-related deaths are through the roof... or not, apparently.

I think Sweden's gun violence statistics has probably gone up too over the last couple of years, but for all I know that might just be a fault-of-perception-caused-by-paying-extra-attention (it's too early to English properly) caused by high media coverage. The tit-for-tat blood feud between two gangs in Gothenburg that's been going on for the last couple of years or so gets lots of media attention, for example. But then again I am also fairly certain that the lack of border control has led to a higher amount of weapons being smuggled in from the continent.

"duuuuurr... Moibbe we shodd treat grenoids liek any otha weppin"

Sweden can greenskins into social democracy?  Explains the vikings.

"Orda! Orda! Da General Assembly peitions for more Dakka! All in fava say Aye!"
Love, scriver~

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: October 06, 2015, 02:11:47 am »

To some extent, that's true. A decent machinist can produce impressive quality firearms. Looks at some of the WW2 smg designs or modern-day zip guns. However, there's significant legislation on home milled lowers, for example. Additionally, we all should remember how the government flipped its collective shit over the 3d printed guns affair, despite it something that you could build without much trouble with traditional methods.
In retrospect, CNC machine tools are also highly regulated due to the ease to make them firearm production centres.

The main problem for homebrew firearms is the safe making of propellants and primers.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: October 06, 2015, 05:36:54 am »

In retrospect, CNC machine tools are also highly regulated due to the ease to make them firearm production centres.
Not sure what you're saying here - in the US literally anybody can plop down a few grand and pick up a small CNC mill. Is this different in Europe, or are you trying to say that they should be?

The main problem for homebrew firearms is the safe making of propellants and primers.

Also cartridge casings, but the smokeless powder is the biggest difficulty with making ammunition from scratch. It's possible to replace the primer with an electric ignition system.

Making the guns themselves is piss-easy once you have the schematics, which aren't hard to get. There's even allegations that some blacksmiths in Afghanistan and/or Iraq have made functioning AK-47s without any machine tools at all, although I have some doubts about this.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: October 06, 2015, 06:00:14 am »

Not sure what you're saying here - in the US literally anybody can plop down a few grand and pick up a small CNC mill. Is this different in Europe, or are you trying to say that they should be?

Also cartridge casings, but the smokeless powder is the biggest difficulty with making ammunition from scratch. It's possible to replace the primer with an electric ignition system.

Making the guns themselves is piss-easy once you have the schematics, which aren't hard to get. There's even allegations that some blacksmiths in Afghanistan and/or Iraq have made functioning AK-47s without any machine tools at all, although I have some doubts about this.
But I need a licence to export that to China.

(Not sure if I still need one now, but certainly in the past)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: October 06, 2015, 09:36:50 am »

I was unaware that CNC machines are regulated at all beyond the OASHA sense.  I know a guy who rescued a CNC machine from the recycling heap and kept it sitting around in his warehouse for twenty years.

And you dont need a CNC machine to make firearms.  A simple lathe and milling machine will do if you have the right dyes or even better, have the ability to make dyes.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: October 06, 2015, 09:46:15 am »

And you dont need a CNC machine to make firearms.  A simple lathe and milling machine will do if you have the right dyes or even better, have the ability to make dyes.

I mean, you wouldn't want a dull grey pistol, you need at least proper red dyes to make an awesome firearm.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: October 06, 2015, 09:50:35 am »

Plus you probably want to have something sitting on the workbench next to the die you needed to make the gun so your die doesn't get lonely.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: October 06, 2015, 09:53:44 am »

I mean, you wouldn't want a dull grey pistol, you need at least proper red dyes to make an awesome firearm.

With flame decals even! :D

lol

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: October 06, 2015, 10:34:17 am »

With flame decals even! :D

lol

BRING ON DA DAKKA.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: October 06, 2015, 11:25:13 am »

Why is it "gun rights"? Guns don't have rights. Citizens have rights.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: October 06, 2015, 11:30:49 am »

Because "gun rights" is significantly snappier than "right to bear firearms".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: October 06, 2015, 12:47:16 pm »

Hmm. Of the original wording was "right to bare arms", wouldn't it be satisfied if citizens were allowed to carry pikes and shields,?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: October 06, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »

Bear arms.  Bare arms is the right to wear tank tops and spaghetti straps.  Bear arms is the right to ursine limbs.
...wait.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: October 06, 2015, 01:05:59 pm »

Because "gun rights" is significantly snappier than "right to bear firearms".

So, the right to weapons made by bears?

Bear arms.  Bare arms is the right to wear tank tops and spaghetti straps.  Bear arms is the right to ursine limbs.
...wait.

English is a funny language, heh.

One of the latest polls: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_NationalDems_100615.pdf Why even did they include Elizabeth Warren, John Kerry, Al Gore, and Mike Dukakis?

John Kerry has been too busy being Seceretary of State and has made no motions to run, Mike Dukakis hasn't run for president since 1988 not to mention that he is retired and 81 years old, Al Gore wanting to run was just one of those rumors, Elizabeth Warren has said she isn't running, though I guess she is a potential pick for VP.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:14:46 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: October 06, 2015, 03:15:52 pm »

Dammit, how can people chose the bland that is Clinton over the awesome-sauce that is Elizibeth Warren?  This poll is rigged.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1342