Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546800 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4065 on: August 31, 2015, 09:40:30 am »

And then he gets reined in by Congress and makes an ass of himself for a few years.
Trump doesn't have a track record as a politician, but his negotiating strategy is well established.  He finds a counterparty (hereafter refered to as a chump) and gets them to have an investment in something he can influence.  He then proceeds to screw over the chump by tanking the chump's investment.  Then he goes to the chump and says "hey, how about you cut me a sweetheart deal so I have an incentive to stop ruining your investment?"

If you think that brinksmanship over the debt ceiling is bad... for Trump that's just a Tuesday.  He would probably do a default on US treasury bonds just to prove a point.  Basically his philosophy is blackmail is good as long as it's legal... think about how much potential to blackmail Congress the president has.  Think of how destructive it would be to use that power at every possible opportunity.

I realize that diplomacy involves a lot of backroom deals, 'you scratch my back and I scratch yours', some give and take, plus some cloak and dagger stuff, but blackmailing our friends is the quickest way to lose their trust.

While I wouldn't mind Trump strong-arming some sense into Congress, I hope he doesn't pull the blackmail stuff with our allies.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:44:14 am by smjjames »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: August 31, 2015, 10:14:18 am »

And who said it would be strong-arming sense into congress? They already think they make sense, when they aren't working to block things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: August 31, 2015, 10:55:37 am »

Did McKinley do anything noteworthy?
But by golly, McKinley was a Republican, and this is just yet another example of Obama stamping out the Republican legacy throughout the nation.  Obviously. :P

Funnily enough, there's a bill in play right now (introduced by an Alaskan Republican) to change the mountain's name to Denali.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: August 31, 2015, 01:10:41 pm »

This wasn't the result of a bill, exactly.

They've been trying to change the name at the federal level since it was changed in Alaska back in 1975 the articles say, but Ohio congressmen (McKinley's home state) have kept posting conflicting bills for the last 40 years, exploiting a loophole to prevent the name change from sticking, due to a thing where the office responsible won't do a name change while there's an active bill regarding the matter.

Obama's administration used a pre-existing special ruling that lets them force a name change when it's been before the United States Board on Geographic Names for an excessive amount of time.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: August 31, 2015, 01:18:38 pm »

Sticking it to Ohio, huh?  I wonder which Michigan politician is secretly responsible for this.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump's Narcissism Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #4070 on: August 31, 2015, 04:14:25 pm »

Today's the day where the Kentucky Republican leadership is going to reject Rand Paul's attempt to circumvent state law and run for President and his current Senate seat at the same time. While two of his top subordinates are indicted for bribery. When he's got a strong populist Christian Democrat making a run for his Senate seat. It's so beautiful.

Kind of old, but, nope: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/election-2016-rand-paul-can-run-for-president-senate-at-the-same-time/

He isn't doing that great in the polls anyway, so it might end up moot.

I wonder how he convinced them to bend the Kentucky law like that?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: August 31, 2015, 04:40:05 pm »

New poll data from Monmouth:

Ben Carson has surged to a tie (23% each) with Trump in Iowa. Can a Trump attack on Carson be far off? And will he go full-retard dog-whistle on the attack and give it a racial subtext?

Also, Carly Fiorina is in 3rd in Iowa now (10%), followed by Cruz (9%), Walker (7%), and Jebby way back in sixth place (5%).

One of the more interesting things is in the second choice rankings, it's Cruz, Carson, Trump. Typically, Trump had been doing very poorly in second-choice polling, indicating Trump was either your first choice or no choice at all. Which in turn suggested that as candidates start dropping out, they'd all gravitate to an anti-Trump candidate. That effect may have been overstated.

Trump's net favorability rating in Iowa is up +19, which honestly makes me ashamed to have been born there. Ben Carson has a whopping +75. Cruz and Fiorina have seen modest gains in favorability since last month, while Walker and Bush have seen declines.

Still on life support: Rubio, Huckabee, Kasich, Paul
In hospice care: Jindal, Santorum, Christie
Pull the damn plug already: Graham, Pataki, Perry   (Rick Perry has actually reduced his staff in Iowa to ONE guy, and lost his Iowa co-chair to the Santorum campaign.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: August 31, 2015, 04:52:02 pm »

If you're putting Rubio in the life support section, you should put Bush in there too because both their polls numbers have been in the same area.

Also, according to the averages here: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html Jindal should pull the plug already.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: August 31, 2015, 05:06:25 pm »

Even if I have to accept that Rand Paul's numbers mean he probably won't have any sort of decent effect on the race, I can at least take solace in the fact that Christie is doing worse, hehe.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: August 31, 2015, 05:56:45 pm »

You can rebound from low poll numbers, the issue is when you run out of money, as Perry seems to be doing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: August 31, 2015, 05:59:38 pm »

But Perry has the super PAC money.  As long as you have a billionaire bankrolling you, you can hang on and hope for a polling surge.  Look at how long Gingrich lasted last time thanks to Sheldon Anderson.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: August 31, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »

And look at Gringrich. I suppose if he's still in government, representing their interests, it's still money well spent. But sometimes the mind boggles at how much money is thrown at candidates who ultimately don't amount to more than they started as. I dunno, maybe billionaires just few those millions as the cost of doing business in America.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: August 31, 2015, 06:12:48 pm »

But Perry has the super PAC money.  As long as you have a billionaire bankrolling you, you can hang on and hope for a polling surge.  Look at how long Gingrich lasted last time thanks to Sheldon Anderson.
Gingrich was never lower than 4.4% at his worst (which coincidentally was Perry's peak at 31%). By contrast, Perry hasn't even MADE IT to 4% yet this whole cycle.

Deep pockets can keep you afloat if you show long-shot potential. Perry doesn't have even that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: August 31, 2015, 06:16:00 pm »

His staffing problems are a troubling sign for him. Though I'm sure he'd just say there is 'staff reorganization' going on.

They're all trying to hold on until at least the next debate because they might get a boost like Fiorina did.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: August 31, 2015, 06:17:24 pm »

RedKing: The field is much more crowded this time around, so it's normal if candidates are polling lower.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 1342