Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546556 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4035 on: August 30, 2015, 08:19:07 pm »

I'm going to put this interesting news here: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/08/30/436125678/obama-renaming-continents-highest-peak-from-mt-mckinley-to-denali

I just know people are going to come out of the woodwork to criticize it somehow.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: August 30, 2015, 08:28:21 pm »

Did McKinley do anything noteworthy?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: August 30, 2015, 08:33:45 pm »

A prospector named it after McKinley when he was nominated, and the Board on Geographic Names decided to keep it when he was assassinated.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: August 30, 2015, 08:41:22 pm »

Upside is that if Trump wins, Canada might finally stop acting in lockstep with the US.

Which would be wonderful, because I would then be living there. I know, "if this candidate wins I'm running away to Canada" never actually happens, but... seriously. I cannot see how his winning would be anything but an outright disaster on foreign policy, domestic policy be damned.
I would say the same about literally ANY candidate. Political disasters are so commonplace here its the norm.

Basically I've seen enough crazy candidates not change anything significant that I can't imagine ANYONE changing anything significant. Certainly not from a democratic election at least.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4039 on: August 30, 2015, 09:12:55 pm »

Trump winning wouldn't so much be a disaster as it would be a sign that the United States is home to such an idiotic populous that they cannot be trusted with their own governance.

I believe that it is impossible for him to get elected, but if I'm proven wrong, this is clearly not the country for me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:00:36 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: August 30, 2015, 09:14:19 pm »

He got shot. :P

Ah, but seriously, there was the Spanish-American War, the Boxer Rebellion, tariffs, and the opposition to free silver and bimetallism, likely none of which will resonate with most modern Americans outside of Puerto Rico, and not much more there.  But by golly, McKinley was a Republican, and this is just yet another example of Obama stamping out the Republican legacy throughout the nation.  Obviously. :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:20:30 pm by Culise »

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: August 30, 2015, 09:36:18 pm »

He got shot. :P

Ah, but seriously, there was the Spanish-American War, the Boxer Rebellion, tariffs, and the opposition to free silver and bimetallism, likely none of which will resonate with most modern Americans outside of Puerto Rico, and not much more there.  But by golly, McKinley was a Republican, and this is just yet another example of Obama stamping out the Republican legacy throughout the nation.  Obviously. :P
XD  Yeah, the whole situation with Mt. McKinley is hilarious, with the super-right Tea Party going banana nut butter while the republican senator who started the most recent bill to rename it is just like ,"Yeah this is cool. I can dig it."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:38:50 pm by Cthulufaic »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: August 31, 2015, 12:12:22 am »

Upside is that if Trump wins, Canada might finally stop acting in lockstep with the US.

Which would be wonderful, because I would then be living there. I know, "if this candidate wins I'm running away to Canada" never actually happens, but... seriously. I cannot see how his winning would be anything but an outright disaster on foreign policy, domestic policy be damned.
I would say the same about literally ANY candidate. Political disasters are so commonplace here its the norm.

Basically I've seen enough crazy candidates not change anything significant that I can't imagine ANYONE changing anything significant. Certainly not from a democratic election at least.

He's the only one that I see on the list who could, within a year, piss off every single ally both major and minor, within and without, his own office the moment he gets elected. Of course, none of it would be impeachable (gotta give him credit on not just being an asshole, but a methodical one), so we'd be stuck with a guy who literally no one likes for 4 years. That can't end well.

Well, no one but his ever-so-vitriolic band of supporters who he consistently stokes to fervor.

Also what PTTG?? said.

Maybe, just MAYBE both republicans and democrats will band together and find SOMETHING to impeach him with.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: August 31, 2015, 12:14:42 am »

He's the only one that I see on the list who could, within a year, piss off every single ally both major and minor, within and without, his own office the moment he gets elected. Of course, none of it would be impeachable (gotta give him credit on not just being an asshole, but a methodical one), so we'd be stuck with a guy who literally no one likes for 4 years. That can't end well.

Well, no one but his ever-so-vitriolic band of supporters who he consistently stokes to fervor.

Also what PTTG?? said.

Maybe, just MAYBE both republicans and democrats will band together and find SOMETHING to impeach him with.

Or maybe they'd go full Julius Ceaser on him and have the whole White House band together to stab him to death.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: August 31, 2015, 12:17:12 am »

TrumpxCongressional Stabbing Frenzy. I'd ship it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: August 31, 2015, 12:27:58 am »

So maybe the establishment parties will make a conspiracy to betray and stop the paranoid guy who thinks the establishment is out to get him?  I hope so, we dont want a paranoid nutjob like him around.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: August 31, 2015, 02:22:11 am »

You guys had someone that no one (except Georgia) liked as POTUS for years in the person of Bush Jr. It's not the end of the world. I mean, sure, the damage would be there, and it'd take a long time to heal, and it would set back important international cooperation on stuff like climate change for years, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. At the end of the day, the US is still the US and the incentives to be friendly with it are still there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: August 31, 2015, 02:40:47 am »

Well, it's hardly any more meaningful than the world drinking the Obama-hype kool aid. To describe global opinions on US presidents as "blind bandwagon hype" is being generous.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: August 31, 2015, 07:05:29 am »

You guys had someone that no one (except Georgia) liked as POTUS for years in the person of Bush Jr. It's not the end of the world. I mean, sure, the damage would be there, and it'd take a long time to heal, and it would set back important international cooperation on stuff like climate change for years, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. At the end of the day, the US is still the US and the incentives to be friendly with it are still there.

What did he do to make him that unliked? Outside of the whole Gulf War thing, or was that pretty much the main reason?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: August 31, 2015, 07:44:14 am »

Yeah, bush II was unpopular because of his political actions. Trump would be disliked because he would, consciously or not, insult people all over. There's a difference between the two.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 1342