Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545174 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3165 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:31 pm »

Just a quick word to thanks everyone using the name " Donald "Somebody's doing the raping" Trump" in their posts. This plugin truly is the greatest.

Indeed, references to Donald Trump have never been more hilarious.

Those of us using the plugin owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who uses the name Donald Trump when they post.

Donald Trump.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: August 03, 2015, 02:12:58 pm »

Just a quick word to thanks everyone using the name "  "Somebody's doing the raping" Donald "I beat China all the time" Trump" in their posts. This plugin truly is the greatest.

Quoting people talking about Donald Trump just seems to turn the name of Donald Trump into some king of quote stupidception.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: August 03, 2015, 02:46:11 pm »

Just a quick word to thanks everyone using the name "  "Somebody's doing the raping" Donald "I beat China all the time" Trump" in their posts. This plugin truly is the greatest.

Quoting people talking about Donald Trump just seems to turn the name of Donald Trump into some king of quote stupidception.
It is rather glorious, isn't it?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: August 03, 2015, 02:57:49 pm »

It is rather glorious, isn't it?
It works on any text, does it?

Everyone, quickly update your sigs and personal texts!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: August 03, 2015, 03:05:41 pm »

Your signature now read "Donal()d "Spread it out in small doses" Tru()mp (Added () so you know which quote is mine). Pitch perfect!

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: August 04, 2015, 01:50:27 am »

So, any opinion of Obama's new climate plan?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: August 04, 2015, 02:11:08 am »

So, any opinion of Obama's new climate plan?

It seems pretty well constructed. I like that it gives states that depend more on coal fired generation at present a longer time frame, and the limits on power plant emissions are a long time coming. Some of the companies that voiced their support of the plan were surprising as well. The butthurt is intense though. Intense. The more cynical part of me expects only a handful of states to actually adopt the measures, and none of those will be the ones that the concessions were written in to try to sway.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: August 04, 2015, 04:56:16 am »

The more cynical part of me expects only a handful of states to actually adopt the measures, and none of those will be the ones that the concessions were written in to try to sway.

Let 'em, then they just get the EPA start deciding what plants to shut down to hit the targets.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: August 04, 2015, 12:18:12 pm »

The more cynical part of me expects only a handful of states to actually adopt the measures, and none of those will be the ones that the concessions were written in to try to sway.

Let 'em, then they just get the EPA start deciding what plants to shut down to hit the targets.

Considering 70% of my state's power comes from coal, I would really rather they didn't. Kasich at least acknowledges the existence of global warming, which puts him ahead of most of the Republican Party, but his record is still pretty spotty.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: August 04, 2015, 12:36:31 pm »

I didn't listen to the whole of what Obama said though. I wonder what the incentives and concessions are for those that successfully lower their carbon emissions?

Also, spellcorrector changed Obama to Alana, what in the weird.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: August 04, 2015, 01:02:40 pm »

I'm sure whatever happens in Kentucky will be disheartening. You can't really win a statewide election here without coal backing you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: August 04, 2015, 01:05:55 pm »

There's plenty of other sources of carbon emissions than just shutting down coal burning power plants, and there are ways of reducing the carbon emissions of the power plants without shutting them down.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: August 04, 2015, 01:11:26 pm »

The problem is probably with NIMBY-ism, to be honest.

"I dont wanna see giant wind turbines! They clutter up the view and kill birds! (but city skyscrapers are fine.)"

and

"But nuclear plants are all.. radioactive and stuff! (Nevermind that coal releases more radiological isotopes into the free environment as radicals than even the crappiest and most poorly run reactors do.)"

People just arent rational.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: August 04, 2015, 01:34:04 pm »

That's not quite the issue in Kentucky. Nobody here bashes green energy because we can't even get the conversation to the point where we're discussing alternatives. The politicians are too busy trying to see who can shove the most coal up their own ass.

Gov. Steve Beshear issued a statement on Monday expressing his disappointment with the rule and predicting doom for the coal industry.

“What is being proposed for Kentucky is disastrous — disastrous for our declining coal economy and equally disastrous for our very important manufacturing economy,” Beshear said in a statement.
“I will be joining a bipartisan group of attorneys general asking the EPA and the federal court to stay implementation of this rule while it’s challenged in court,” Conway said in a statement. “I believe, once again, the courts will rule that the EPA has overstepped its authority.

“It is apparent the Obama administration is doubling down on policies that hurt Kentucky. I have challenged the President in the past and won – that is just what I plan to do in this case. This is about the future of our Commonwealth and ensuring that our state doesn’t bear the brunt of an ill-conceived Washington, D.C. regulation that hurts Kentucky coal and Kentucky jobs.”

Conway said that he asked Beshear to stop the state Energy and Environment Cabinet from developing a state plan that attempts to comply with the rule.

“Doing so is a waste of time and resources,” he said.

Those are our Democrats, the governor and attorney general (who is running for governor next). Here is the Republican who will run against Conway in the next governor race:

“Not only did Jack Conway proudly vote for Obama twice, he has also long been funded by the Sierra Club and others who fight every day against the interests of our coal industry,” Bevin said. “Jack Conway needs to start telling the truth about his political allegiance to the extreme environmentalists who give him money. If not, he owes an apology to Kentucky coal miners for being a hypocrite on this issue.”
(source)

Kentucky is being split in two over this issue - it's Team Against vs Team More Against. Who will prevail?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: August 04, 2015, 01:46:51 pm »

I did say that there are sources BESIDES the coal plants.

Improving the efficiency of things down the line would also, waiit...... Do the coal companies mind if things are more efficient at the other end so that the power plants wouldn't have to burn as much coal? Or even make the plants more efficient?

Really doesn't sound like there's much room for compromise (if any) as far as the coal companies go.

Anyways, what are the incentives that Obama gave?

Edit: Anybody want to bet that the climate plan (and probably general questions on global warming) will come up in the debate on Thursday?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:53:22 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1342