Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544510 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Electron Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2790 on: July 03, 2015, 09:09:02 pm »

Extended Medicare benefits (the prescription drug benefit that many Republicans said would wreck the system and bankrupt America).

I would disagree with this.  The point of liberalism is not to spend money for the sake of spending money.  It's spending money to help people.  Extending Medicare benefits in a way that helps no one and spends more money isn't liberal.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: July 03, 2015, 09:10:24 pm »

I would argue that expenditures for targeted demographics (that best promote re-election chances) is not proper liberalism either.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: July 03, 2015, 11:08:39 pm »

Freedom Day is very nearly upon us here in the Central US (it's already arrived on the East Coast), and that means that it's time to celebrate as Jesus Christ himself intended- blowing shit up and getting shitfaced on cheap beer. Unfortunately, due to my summer job, I can't do either of those tomorrow, so the rest of you will have to do it for me. My bosses are probably damn communists.

Also considering banning Britons from posting over the next twenty-four hours. Tempting, but I'm not sure it would fly with the forum rules...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:10:59 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #2793 on: July 03, 2015, 11:14:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure the bar I'm going to tonight sells cans of PBR.
I'll make sure to drink one as a nod to 'Murica. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: July 03, 2015, 11:35:14 pm »

Tories are asleep post Freedom:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: July 03, 2015, 11:39:25 pm »

Freedom, with extra JPEG:

I'm also vaguely amused that the avatar I chose two days ago is a reactionary proto-neckbeard who was a rabid monarchist.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:53:54 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: July 04, 2015, 12:18:19 am »

Happy 214 from Britain day, America!

www.terminallance.com

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2798 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:56 am »

(I just realized FJ is younger than I am. WTF, FJ?)

Also: Wooo 'Murica Wooo! *Blows something up*
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:51:54 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: July 04, 2015, 01:13:21 pm »

Jeb Bush and Obama agrees on something.

Unsurprisingly, they're both wrong. #PeaInGuacamole2016

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: July 04, 2015, 01:18:53 pm »

Cmon, they are both green! A little mushed up pea in your mushed up avacado? who will know?
It'll be our little secret!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: July 04, 2015, 01:23:04 pm »

No holiday for me. I have to work! The good news is that I get an extra 8 hours of pay. The bad news is that my boss took the whole damned weekend off and I work open to close three days in a row.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: July 04, 2015, 01:28:50 pm »

Me too. Off to work in a few minutes in fact.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: July 07, 2015, 01:41:03 am »

So....I started looking at the Congressional races (such as they are at this stage, what with most races not even having candidates yet unless incumbent). It's depressing. Because even 16 months ahead of the election, I can report that unless there's a political wave of epic proportions, the Republicans will retain control of the House and the Democrats would be lucky to get a 50-50 split in the Senate (and that's with the two independents caucusing with them).

The problem (as always, but even more so every election cycle, it seems) is that House districts are gerrymandered to Hell and back, so that there's really only a couple dozen races out of 435 that are remotely competitive. Typically, the only way a House seat flips now is if the incumbent retires and has a weaksauce successor, a rockstar candidate emerges from the other party, or they're caught doing lines of coke off a dead hooker's ass. And even the last one isn't necessarily a show-stopper, depending on the district.

The Senate can't blame gerrymandering, but the incumbency effect is still very powerful, coupled with the fact that fewer states are truly swing states. A state like Oklahoma is going to have two Republican Senators. It just is. The last time OK had a (D) Senator was 25 years ago. And the last time they had TWO of them was just before the 1968 election. And prior to 1968, Democrats in the South weren't exactly your Democrats of today, to say the least. Likewise, California hasn't had a Republican Senator since 1992. (Hell, they've had the SAME two Democratic Senators since 1992 -- Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein).

Now, Boxer is actually retiring and her seat will be up for grabs in the 2016 election, but it's more accurate to say it's up for grabs in the 2016 Democratic primary. Because whoever wins that, wins the seat. Registered Dems outpace registered Repubs in the Golden State 43% to 28%, and most of the independents describe themselves as left-leaning.

So out of the 34 Senate seats up for bids this cycle, a full 24 are Republican seats. But at least half of those could probably be called right now, including the aforementioned Oklahoma seat for James Lankford. Because it's Oklahoma. Lankford would have to show up to campaign events in burnt orange and yelling "HOOK 'EM HORNS!" to stand a chance of losing.

The handful of competitive races are interesting:

1. Wheelchair-bound Ron Kirk (R-IL) trying to hold off double-amputee Iraq War veteran Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) in what can only be called one of the most uncomfortable races in America.

2. Ron Johnson (R-WI) against the man he ousted in 2010, longtime Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI). It's like Rocky II, only with less punching and more discussion of campaign finance reform.

3. Nevada: Where nobody in the Democratic Party seems to know who they want to run to succeed Harry Reid, while EVERYBODY in the Nevada Republican Party wants to run, including some folks that really probably shouldn't (remember "Tea Party Witch" Sharron Angle?). On the one hand, Nevada is trending into a blue state with a sizable Latino population. On the other hand, taking the former Speaker's seat is a political trophy that donors like the Koch Bros. will happily dump shittons of money into winning.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2804 on: July 07, 2015, 07:02:58 am »

Tories are asleep post Freedom:
FREEDOM never sleeps
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 1342