Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549398 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1665 on: April 28, 2015, 04:19:52 pm »

firefighter brutality?

I never trusted them after playing LCS.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: April 28, 2015, 04:23:17 pm »

I had an idea for a rap song called "Fuck the Fire Department", which was about how the Fire Department seems so much nicer then the cops and that means they must be hiding something really really bad.
Anyone up making me into a rap sensation?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: April 28, 2015, 06:32:09 pm »

What I don't understand is why the response to police brutality is to burn down things completely unrelated to the police. I mean, if they were attacking the police station or something it would make sense in a way, but I don't see how victims of police brutality are avenged when the local pharmacy is looted or McDonalds is burnt down.
If you have the at-present forethought to decide "I'm going to target only the police station!" you're probably not going to engage in a riot. Most non-riot protests DO revolve around the police station or courthouse or whoever is responsible, remember Occupy Wall-Street? Forethought and emotion don't tend to go too well together when emotion is high, and a riot is a very emotional discharge.
Counter-point: looting a drug store is hardly my go-to emotional coping mechanism. It's more like my plan to abuse a collapse in police presence to rob a drug store for its drugs. Probably prescription pain medication, since that seems to be gaining in popularity.

My impression is there is a lot less overlap between the people looting and the people protesting about the death of Freddie Grey than people here realize. From what I can tell, much of the violence is being perpetrated by people who are in the mood for destruction period, not vengeance in particular. Opportunistic looting that has more to do with the taking advantage of chaos then fighting for rights. It hardly does anyone well to defend looting a drug store and attacking firemen as a legitimate expression of rage. And it does bad to the many people with cooler heads who want justice.

Or let me be blunt. Burning and looting exactly justifies an overwhelming police response, and it immediately turns people in favor of the cops. You are not going to overturn the US government by violence, and the government will hardly be cowed by a couple riots (not that that is a moral way of doing things anyway), so it's not like there's an endgame to the violence. And if there's no endgame, there's no point. So as far as I see, every single riot just loses ground towards fixing things.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: April 28, 2015, 06:48:46 pm »

I'unno, there's an argument that negative attention is better than none whatsoever -- at least the subject is noted and being spoken of, even if the riot itself causes negative sentiment. Opens the way for discussion and attention where there wasn't before. If these riots hadn't occurred, would gorram anyone be talking about the situation in baltimore at the moment? Would the non-violent protests actually garnered any note worth note? We have protests and pushback pretty regularly, from what I understand, and most of the time basically no one outside of the people protesting (and maybe cops or who have you that come in to abuse people a little for the jollies or whyeverthehell they decide to assault peaceful protesters) notice.

Riots are a helluva' lot harder to ignore. You can argue that they're ineffective for opening communication, but that's a question I'd personally say is not clear cut.

That said, as I've seen noted elsewhere, the violent folks involved in these things are usually a pretty minor, well, minority, of protesters. Most people up in arms aren't looting drugstores. There's people coming in to take advantage of what's happening, but that's far from most of the folks there. And there are people that are just pissed off and lashing out and whatever's closest.

As the aside, folks aren't really saying that rioting and looting is a legitimate expression of rage, just an expected one. Tellin' people that this is sorta' what happens isn't saying it's a rightful thing, just trying to convince people that, y'know, maybe we should try to avoid it reaching this point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: April 28, 2015, 07:14:42 pm »

I still think rioting has its place and purpose....  and the more things like this happen, the more I think that purpose is to give bystanders a chance to put on display just how fucking lopsided their perspectives and priorities are.

When some bullied kid is beaten up and his lunch money stolen every day until he finally brings a gun into school and does something drastic, is it proper and constructive to focus all our attention and criticism on the bully'd kid's reaction?  Do we really want to critique whether he reacted properly to the situation, and employed the best possible strategies for resolving his conflicts?  Actually, having been in high school when Columbine happened, I'm keenly aware that this is what does happen... sadly... but I expect Bay12 to be mature enough to understand that this is a really stupid way to look at it.  The focus should be on how fucked up it is that the kid was bullied to the point of believing that this was his only option, and what we can do to prevent anyone from being subject to such treatment in the future.

Now apply this to poverty and minorities.

Here's someone saying the same thing with more words.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:25:45 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: April 28, 2015, 07:31:57 pm »

O'Malley's on the ground in Baltimore right now. Wonder if that'll change the primary tune...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: April 28, 2015, 07:36:34 pm »

O'Malley's on the ground in Baltimore right now. Wonder if that'll change the primary tune...

Eh. Trying to capitalize politically on something like this is a risky gamble no matter who tries it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: April 28, 2015, 07:37:59 pm »

When we, as white folks, seem more eager to speak up in defense of property than we are to speak up in defense of another slain black man, we demonstrate that the righteous anger of those doing the rioting is justified.

Pretty much, yeah.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: April 28, 2015, 08:05:53 pm »

When we, as white folks, seem more eager to speak up in defense of property than we are to speak up in defense of another slain black man, we demonstrate that the righteous anger of those doing the rioting is justified.

Pretty much, yeah.

the problem with that logic is that the vast majority of people do not care, because frankly how could most of us actually know what happened? However, as soon as someone perceived outside that situation is involved in any wrongdoing, tons people who just moments ago did not care, are wildly offended that you've attacked some innocent's livelihood. That's how I see it anyways.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: April 28, 2015, 08:23:38 pm »

Pretty much, yeah.

the problem with that logic is that the vast majority of people do not care, because frankly how could most of us actually know what happened? However, as soon as someone perceived outside that situation is involved in any wrongdoing, tons people who just moments ago did not care, are wildly offended that you've attacked some innocent's livelihood. That's how I see it anyways.

The way I see it is if there were a riot every time a cop wrongfully killed someone, it would quickly stop happening.  Regardless of public opinion or morality.  For the public, ignorance would no longer be bliss.  For the government, the costs would outweigh the benefits of allowing corrupt and sloppy policing to continue.

We've fucking transformed our society in reaction to a single incident where a couple thousand people died.  Why does the violent deaths of thousands of undeserving people at the hands of police as a continuous trend not qualify for some drastic measures?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:29:18 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: April 28, 2015, 08:55:21 pm »

He was already dead in the water.  I dont even think he could have won in Maryland if Maryland was the first state to hold a primary.  He left office here with a whimper, not a bang and Maryland dems are still shellshocked about his chosen successor losing to a goddamn republican.

What I don't understand is why the response to police brutality is to burn down things completely unrelated to the police.

Do you not actually understand how the human emotion known as anger works or are you just doing conservative trolling where you make statements about alienation towards the disenfranchised so that you get to feel cool for hating on the poor people instead of feeling like a bully?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:58:39 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1676 on: April 28, 2015, 09:32:47 pm »

Fight! Fight! Fight!

...actuall no. Let's all calm down and not murder each other, k'thanks please?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: April 29, 2015, 12:21:55 am »

Do you not actually understand how the human emotion known as anger works or are you just doing conservative trolling where you make statements about alienation towards the disenfranchised so that you get to feel cool for hating on the poor people instead of feeling like a bully?

When I get angry at someone for wronging me, my immediate reaction is to find a random bystander, beat them up, and jack their stuff to feel better about it.

Anyhow, this isn't some sort of class war, this is a mob of idiots (a large portion of whom could care less about police brutality and just want to steal shit) turning Baltimore into Detroit. The buildings being burned down and attacked are the homes and small businesses that actually support people in the area, owned by the very same people victimized by police abuses. I can understand anger and I can understand why there are riots, but it strikes me as a bit boneheaded to try to actually claim the riots are justified, especially when they actually give ammunition to the types of people that advocate giving military equipment to the police.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: April 29, 2015, 12:28:13 am »

Point me who said it was justified.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 1342