Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544099 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #765 on: March 08, 2015, 09:23:46 am »

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

I didn't claim to have proof I was just saying that it didn't fit with my life experience.

Reading the context, this isn't special pleading at all, he's backing up a point that you challenged.

You are saying he backed up the point that Jewish students are, as a general statement, required to denounce Israel and aren't allowed on campus.  With a single source about a single student being asked a dickish question.  The second "source" is an opinion article.

Whelp I'm gonna disagree with you there.
The definition of special pleading is as follows:
Quote from: From Wikipedia
Special pleading is a form of fallacious argument that involves an attempt to cite something as an exception to a generally accepted rule, principle, etc. without justifying the exception.
That isn't what he was doing, if what you say is true about his articles then he merely provided inadequate evidence to support his claims.  That's all.

EDIT: Son of a gun I hit post instead of copy-pasting it into the other post... welp.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 08, 2015, 01:07:20 pm »

My point was he moved the goalposts from Jews are expected to denounce Israel (ludicrious) to anti-semites exist (no shit, sherlock).  I have been under the impression that moving the goalpost is a type of special pleading.  I.E. "I dont need to show what I said, I just need to show something about what I said because what I said is special and doesn't need proof."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 09, 2015, 08:19:35 am »

Suddenly Biden.

I might actually cut the guy a check if/when he formally announces his candidacy...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:24:05 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 09, 2015, 11:54:24 am »

I predict that our next VP will be Biden.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 09, 2015, 12:01:27 pm »

If Biden wants to be president, he's going to have to break through that gaffe-prone image and prove that he can be taken seriously.

I don't think there has been any VPs that have served under two separate presidents, so, there really isn't any precedent there.

Really though, I wish the democrats would stop auto-nominating Hillary and show what they can field.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:03:03 pm by smjjames »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 09, 2015, 12:07:00 pm »

Really though, I wish the democrats would stop auto-nominating Hillary and show what they can field.

They just need to get her out of the way. The Liberals in Canada have been doing this with Rae, Ignatieff and now Trudeau.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 09, 2015, 12:23:29 pm »

They just need to get her out of the way. The Liberals in Canada have been doing this with Rae, Ignatieff and now Trudeau.

What do you mean by 'get her out of the way'? I don't know anything about Rae, Ignatieff or Trudeau.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 09, 2015, 12:44:58 pm »

Hillary is a powerful member of the party. I would not be surprised if her continued nomination is the result of favor pulling.

Hillary needs to get "put out of the way" by ceasing to be a relavant political force. Then she will stop being nominated.

The DNC needs to stop making politically motivated nominations (that focus around blatant corruption, and petty politics like race and gender) and instead start nominating candidates based on actual integrity with the party's stated goals.

However, with how flip/floppy most of them are, that would probably make them resort to names nobody has ever heard.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 09, 2015, 01:13:05 pm »

What do you mean by 'get her out of the way'? I don't know anything about Rae, Ignatieff or Trudeau.

Give them the nomination/party leadership so they can fuck it up and then fuck off.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 09, 2015, 01:55:35 pm »

Suddenly Biden.

I might actually cut the guy a check if/when he formally announces his candidacy...
I see no reason why he shouldn't. The incumbent VP is the traditional choice of nominee when the incumbent President hits the term limit.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 09, 2015, 01:58:47 pm »

Does anyone have a link to that video of Biden during the hearings about torture in Iraq, in which he gets damn pissed and talks about his son? I remember it being very impressive, but I can't find it for the life of me.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 09, 2015, 02:02:39 pm »

Does anyone have a link to that video of Biden during the hearings about torture in Iraq, in which he gets damn pissed and talks about his son? I remember it being very impressive, but I can't find it for the life of me.

If anyone has this I'd really like to see it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 09, 2015, 02:06:48 pm »

Suddenly Biden.

I see no reason why he shouldn't. The incumbent VP is the traditional choice of nominee when the incumbent President hits the term limit.

Well a) he's been kind of a joke on both sides of the aisle since being appointed b) he gaffes like most people breathe and c) he'd be running against the 3-ton titan that is Hilary, which even thinking optimistically it'd be a close race. If he's a good party soldier he'd realize that splitting the vote between Hilary supporters and Hilary detractors opens the race up to Republicans. If some nobody ran against Hilary it'd do the same thing to a lesser extent. But Biden has the recognizability to make that a serious problem were he to run.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 09, 2015, 02:10:13 pm »

Isn't that what the primary caged knife matches are for?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 09, 2015, 02:16:13 pm »

I always thought the Biden reputation for "gaffes" more represented the low standard of the media then anything important.

Oooooh no a politician in 2012 said that we should have gay marriage.  In other history a politician in 1912 said he believed in evolution.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 1342