Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544307 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #615 on: March 04, 2015, 11:06:11 am »

Frankly, *my* foreign policy stance is "Fuck Israel". Cause seriously...fuck those guys. Nothing against the Israeli people, but you guys really need to pick better leaders, ones who don't use their protected special snowflake status to be a dick to everyone around them. I still maintain that if we started drawing down our multi-billion dollar annual defense subsidy to Israel, you'd see a hell of a lot more conciliation on their part to the Arab world.

I honestly think it's one of the most insulting things for a foreign politician we pay the bills of to come to our country and dictate to us what we should and shouldn't be doing, Jew or not, I'm not about to excuse that or rationalize it as anything but Israeli meddling in our affairs.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 04, 2015, 11:15:42 am »

If you have a breeder reactor or enrichment centrifuge, the knowledge (which isn't hard to get) and the necessary manufacturing equipment (piss easy, the stuff I have access to on a daily basis could probably manage it); making a functional nuclear bomb would be a matter of weeks, not months, most of which would be spend collecting the necessary explosive metal. Further, the only warning anyone would get that it was being built would be when it went off.
Well, that and the massive increase of activity during the building of it. It's not that easy to build one quickly AND undetected.

I don't think the American people have the stomach for yet another war in the Middle East. We've been blowing up camels for the better part of 13 years now, shit's getting old.
And I think another propaganda campaign to convince us that Iran has intent to nuke the US is going to fall flat. Fool us once, shame on us. Fool us twice...won't get fooled again. Or something.

Frankly, *my* foreign policy stance is "Fuck Israel". Cause seriously...fuck those guys. Nothing against the Israeli people, but you guys really need to pick better leaders, ones who don't use their protected special snowflake status to be a dick to everyone around them. I still maintain that if we started drawing down our multi-billion dollar annual defense subsidy to Israel, you'd see a hell of a lot more conciliation on their part to the Arab world.

This is mostly a consequence of Israel's voting procedures, just like the inertia of America's first-past-the-post system produces a two-party system by default. Instead of dividing up the country into districts to elect members of the Knesset, parties get seats according to their nationwide vote draw- and unlike Germany, there's no threshhold lower than which you can't get seats (I think in Germany it's 5%?)

Essentially, you have a few major parties, and then you have a whole bunch of seats that are controlled by far-right hawks who only got two or three percent of the vote, but they got two or three percent of the seats in the Knesset anyways. So if 45% of the Israeli public votes for center-right parties, and 45% votes for center-left parties, and 10% (mainly ultra-Orthodox, IIRC) vote for irredentist warmongers- suddenly 10% of the seats in the Knesset are composed of lunatics, and the major parties have to court them, because nobody can form a coalition without them.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 04, 2015, 11:29:23 am »

In other news....I love how much time, money and political willpower has been spent trying to undermine Obamacare. It's going before the Supreme Court today for the third time, this time attacking whether the law authorizes the government to provide subsidies to states that didn't set up their own exchanges. The goal being, if the law is struck down, to completely upset the insurance market and premiums so the healthcare law can't meet its objectives by providing guaranteed lower rates, and people have to go back to private insurers who can charge whatever they want for whatever broken policy they want.

I really hope history looks back and notes how the vast majority of Republican's time was spent doing nothing by intent, or tearing down laws instead of crafting new ones.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:31:52 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 04, 2015, 11:30:24 am »

Assuming that bonfire of hate-on for Israel isn't being fed... and then using the bonfire as an excuse to feed it more...

FTFY
Sure, certain groups within the US wants to destroy Iran(perhaps at the behest of Israel, cause they can do no wrong), but they ain't the ones currently in control of foreign policy.  Of course, that may change later...

Any sort of US military engagement to protect Israel from Iran would pretty much be perceived as us achieving what we want as well (other than protecting Israel.) It's hard to say you don't have a vested interest in an outcome when you're attacking an entire country. And depending on who wins the election, the desire to attack Iran might go from right-wing crackpot saber rattling to US Foreign Policy.
It ain't Merica trying to convince other peoplethe US to go do another overly optimistic gung-ho regime change though. 

So yea, negotiations, from what I hear of the news say there is actual progress.  It won't surprise me too much if Merica does start sounding the drumbeat of war.  Of course, after sabotagingtacking on everything Israel wants to the negotiations then say that Iran is being unreasonablemust be crushed before they get nukes when it ultimately falls apart.

When it comes to Israel... US Politicians in a general sense are collectively the equivalent of a dog.  Israel's Government is the human.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 04, 2015, 11:35:39 am »

It ain't Merica trying to convince other peoplethe US to go do another overly optimistic gung-ho regime change though.

When you're the muscle behind the attempt, you don't really get to deny involvement in the end goal. You don't drop billions of dollars in military expenditures and just go "Oh, it's a favor to Israel, we don't actually share their goals." Even if that's how we felt domestically, internationally, the perception would be much different. No one believes the US when we say why we're doing something, anyways.

Also, Republicans are currently trying to ram through legislation that would require congressional approval of any deal struck with Iran, and that they'd want two to three months to evaluate the specifics, before telling the president to go fuck himself.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 04, 2015, 11:38:44 am »

In other news....I love how much time, money and political willpower has been spent trying to undermine Obamacare. I really hope history looks back and notes how the vast majority of Republican's time was spent doing nothing by intent, or tearing down laws instead of crafting new ones.

I think we're going to look back and look at the whole Obamacare debacle as a piece of brilliant chessplaying on Obama's part, just like executive-ordered immigration reform. Several million people now have health insurance under the law, and if it suddenly falls out from beneath them, there'll be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Sure, go ahead and destroy the law if you want to...but beware the fallout.

It's the same with immigration reform. It didn't grant amnesty to people who could have been gone en masse at any minute- it just recognized the existing situation. The GOP thinks Obamacare and immigration reform are a nightmare. Maybe they are or maybe they ain't, but the Republicans will find themselves in a much worse nightmare if they ever succeed in undoing them.

(A few members of the GOP's more level-headed faction, like Lindsay Graham and Jeb Bush, recognize this and just want to move on. Hopefully their numbers will grow.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 04, 2015, 11:49:50 am »

What the republicans really need to do is keep enough FUD around so that the benefits of the law dont win the democrats any goodwill.  This they have essentially accomplished.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 04, 2015, 11:54:44 am »

What the republicans really need to do is keep enough FUD around so that the benefits of the law dont win the democrats any goodwill.  This they have essentially accomplished.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FUD

That...would certainly be an interesting political tactic.  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 04, 2015, 12:00:37 pm »

Yeah, I had to look that one up too.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 04, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »

I like my version better.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 04, 2015, 12:32:47 pm »

In case anyone is wondering, I meant Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:37 pm »

Hey Redking... did you catch this?

I've seen it reported through sensationalist articles that this is basically giving lobbyists permission to buy prostitutes for politicians.  It doesn't seem to actually read that way.  But it does say that so long as the participants in question aren't registered as lobbyist, and not being paid by someone registered as a lobbyist, that "consensual sexual relations" do not constitute a form of gift or goodwill act which needs to be reported.

If nothing else, it's amusing that this ruling was requested.  And I'm sure there will be people who try to stretch the wording provided to the loosest possible interpretations.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 04, 2015, 01:09:35 pm »

"I will start my own lobby! Maybe not with blackjack, but there will definitively be hookers!"

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 04, 2015, 01:09:40 pm »

Glad to see them family values are alive and well on Capitol Hill.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 04, 2015, 01:10:40 pm »

And I'm sure there will be people who try to stretch the wording provided to the loosest possible interpretations.
... the wording there was intentional, wasn't it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1342