Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1272 1273 [1274] 1275 1276 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1543923 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19095 on: June 07, 2016, 11:59:13 pm »

I can't see Sanders winning over Trump in the... whatever you call the final election. It seems kinda outrageous.
Nobody could see Trump as the nominee either. Seemed plenty outrageous.

Much like Jem and the Holograms, this election cycle is truly, truly, truly outrageous.

EDIT: And mainiac, I remain skeptical of a two-page PDF with random numbers on it. C'mon man, give me some meat on that bone. What metrics are they basing this R+3 rating off of? Because from my vantage point, the NC legislature has gotten crazier, and the population supporting them seems to have gotten numerous and belligerent.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:01:37 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19096 on: June 08, 2016, 12:00:06 am »

It's almost impossible to say without knowing what in the fuck Trump plans to do in the general. Polling favors Sanders in Sanders v. Trump but that's meaningless because of how Trump...is.

If there is one thing I do genuinely admire about Trump, it's that he's living chaos. Skipping debates, responding to accusations of racism by eating Taco Bell on Cinco De Mayo, talking about how much he loves torture and incest, dude is the incarnation of shameless confidence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19097 on: June 08, 2016, 12:03:28 am »

But Sanders is leading Trump by huge margins in every poll conducted.
So he is. I should probably read things properly before responding.

If there is one thing I do genuinely admire about Trump, it's that he's living chaos. Skipping debates, responding to accusations of racism by eating Taco Bell on Cinco De Mayo, talking about how much he loves torture and incest, dude is the incarnation of shameless confidence.
Some day his ego will grow so wide and huge it will swallow us all.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19098 on: June 08, 2016, 12:04:59 am »

Oh shits, was so morose over the general slate that I almost didn't notice that Renee Ellmers got ousted in our second primary. And right on the heels of Trump endorsing her, too. Of course, she's being replaced by a guy who looks like a fatter Glenn Beck (and acts like one), so it's not exactly a win-win.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19099 on: June 08, 2016, 10:32:38 am »

EDIT: And mainiac, I remain skeptical of a two-page PDF with random numbers on it. C'mon man, give me some meat on that bone. What metrics are they basing this R+3 rating off of?

Cook partisan voting index

Nobody could see Trump as the nominee either. Seemed plenty outrageous.

Yes, it's rather silly to say that it isn't possible.  In presidential elections all candidates have a high floor of support and there can always be a november surprise.  And that's not even getting into the fact that Trump is probably the weakest nominee this side of Jean-Marie LePenn.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:34:38 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19100 on: June 08, 2016, 03:44:53 pm »

I'm sure his campaign will end up using the money for something important, and not just more cocaine to snort from prostitute nethers.
I didn't realize Rob Ford was involved in the Trump campaign.
He was, until Rob Ford died.

Only half of that statement is false.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19101 on: June 08, 2016, 06:18:03 pm »

EDIT: And mainiac, I remain skeptical of a two-page PDF with random numbers on it. C'mon man, give me some meat on that bone. What metrics are they basing this R+3 rating off of?

Cook partisan voting index

Thank you. In looking at how they assess the rating, I stand by my comment. Gerrymandering plays havoc with their calculation. If you look at the breakdown of NC by district, we have three districts which went Dem, all by margins of +19 or more. And ten which went Republican, all by margins of +8 or more. The huge Dem margins skew the numbers toward the center, but those huge margins exist because we have/had districts that were basically "let's stick all the blacks in one district".

It's not that we're a true purple state so much as we're a schizophrenic state. And while the rural countryside remains blood-red, the cities are not themselves oceans of blue (with the exception of Asheville, Chapel Hill and perhaps Durham). Raleigh, Charlotte and Greensboro are very much purple, and Winston-Salem, Fayetteville and Wilmington tend reddish.

I'd like to think demographics favor the Democrats as the state becomes increasingly urban (we are projected to be >50% urban soon) and increasingly non-white. But there are plenty of suburban Republicans and plenty of black evangelicals supporting shit like HB2.

I still see Trump having a very good chance to win here in November. Unless he shits on Dale Earnhardt's grave or something.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:21:27 pm by RedKing »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19102 on: June 08, 2016, 08:21:38 pm »

Thank you. In looking at how they assess the rating, I stand by my comment. Gerrymandering plays havoc with their calculation. If you look at the breakdown of NC by district, we have three districts which went Dem, all by margins of +19 or more. And ten which went Republican, all by margins of +8 or more. The huge Dem margins skew the numbers toward the center, but those huge margins exist because we have/had districts that were basically "let's stick all the blacks in one district".

Well if that's what you were saying my post was simply expressing a facet of that.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19103 on: June 08, 2016, 09:51:00 pm »

We live in a world where the *libertarian* candidate for the Presidency is less crazy than one of the main party's candidate.

https://youtu.be/Y2KWfTWDs7Y

Johnson 2016!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19104 on: June 08, 2016, 11:50:41 pm »

Meanwhile on the left, the Green party candidate is the more appealing option for us vis-à-vis the one being pushed by the Democratic party elite. Of course that's not exactly unusual, especially with how accustomed the center-left has become to electing Democrats conservative enough to keep our corporate masters from starting up the Soylent Green production lines.

But yeah, I know who has my vote if Sanders doesn't manage to beat the machine and doesn't bother running as an independent. Best of all, Stein shuts the people with the sexism tar and feathers right the fuck up about their obsession with tokenism uber alles.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:17:11 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19105 on: June 08, 2016, 11:53:31 pm »

You borked the url.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19106 on: June 09, 2016, 12:39:18 am »

It'll be interesting to see how many votes the smaller alternative parties will draw in this election, if Clinton and Trump are the nominees for the primary two parties and the majority of voters hate them as much as the general consensus I'm seeing online suggests.

That said, the cynic in me wants to think that the third parties will draw an inconsequential amount of votes compared to the primary parties. But who knows, this election season has been crazy enough already.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19107 on: June 09, 2016, 12:49:55 am »

general consensus I'm seeing online suggests.

To be fair, Clinton is a unusually divisive right now.  But put that in context, it's not that long ago that she was one of the most popular people in american politics.... http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/hillary-clinton-favorable-rating
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:54:27 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #19108 on: June 09, 2016, 01:29:19 am »

The Sanders supporters will bitch, moan, and whine about how the election was stolen and Clinton only won because money or something, and they'll do this probably up until the election.

Then when general election campaigning starts they'll fall in line behind Clinton and anyone who says things like "I'm not voting Hillary because she's a crook" or "I don't think Hillary is a good enough Democrat" will be branded as some sort of Trump supporting saboteur.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19109 on: June 09, 2016, 01:37:24 am »

Then when general election campaigning starts they'll fall in line behind Clinton and anyone who says things like "I'm not voting Hillary because she's a crook" or "I don't think Hillary is a good enough Democrat" will be branded as some sort of Trump supporting saboteur.
This statement is self-contradicting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1272 1273 [1274] 1275 1276 ... 1342