Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1273 1274 [1275] 1276 1277 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544113 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19110 on: June 09, 2016, 01:51:07 am »

To be fair, Clinton is a unusually divisive right now.  But put that in context, it's not that long ago that she was one of the most popular people in american politics.... http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/hillary-clinton-favorable-rating
Policy-wise she seems pretty decent, but the problem people have is with her character. Also being funded by Goldman-Sachs isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19111 on: June 09, 2016, 01:57:22 am »

To be fair, Clinton is a unusually divisive right now.  But put that in context, it's not that long ago that she was one of the most popular people in american politics.... http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/hillary-clinton-favorable-rating

That's quite impressive. I didn't realize the Benghazi/e-mail thing had been that effective.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19112 on: June 09, 2016, 03:17:55 am »

That's quite impressive. I didn't realize the Benghazi/e-mail thing had been that effective.

I don't think people actually cared all that much until she started actively campaigning. Probably the best thing she could have done would be to just quietly announce her candidacy and then never say another word. The more she says, the more people hate her. The less she says, the more people can put the words into her mouth they want to hear.

The Sanders supporters will bitch, moan, and whine about how the election was stolen and Clinton only won because money or something, and they'll do this probably up until the election.

Then when general election campaigning starts they'll fall in line behind Clinton and anyone who says things like "I'm not voting Hillary because she's a crook" or "I don't think Hillary is a good enough Democrat" will be branded as some sort of Trump supporting saboteur.

Call me what you want, but I can't see myself at this moment voting for her. Given my dislike for both her and Trump, I don't really care who wins at this point if it's between them. I'll be casting my vote third party, most likely Jill Stein, but if Johnson seems to have a solid shot at upturning the whole thing I'm not against throwing in with him either.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19113 on: June 09, 2016, 03:27:52 am »

Did you look at the graph? It shows Clinton's favorability rating going steadily down since she left as Sec State and the whole Benghazi investigations started rolling.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #19114 on: June 09, 2016, 07:22:34 am »

You must not be paying enough attention to this election cycle because it's something different, I can feel it. The voters are angry. They're fed up with the establishment. We've got a real chance to get someone in the white house who cares about the American people. RON PAUL 2012!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19115 on: June 09, 2016, 07:27:25 am »

I can't wait for this years It's Happening memes, whatever level of sarcasm and meta it lands on we can always take it one further.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19116 on: June 09, 2016, 08:06:37 am »

Did you look at the graph? It shows Clinton's favorability rating going steadily down since she left as Sec State and the whole Benghazi investigations started rolling.

In 2012, Benghazi was a manufactured scandal directed at Obama, not Clinton.  Although I guess in 2012 she was tangentally involved all the same.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19117 on: June 09, 2016, 08:10:51 am »

What's your interpretation then?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19118 on: June 09, 2016, 08:35:55 am »

She was seen as a non-partisan figure so the republicans forgot that they were supposed to instinctively believe the worst about her.  Then she leaves secretary of state and the talk about her changes to speculation about whether she will run.  She  goes from mild mannered secretary of state to Hillary the politician again.  And worse then that, she is seen as a shoe in for the nomination.  So the republicans get a running start on hating her.  They are nothing if not efficient when it comes to hating democratic presidents.  The hatred created Benghazi, Benghazi didn't create the hatred.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19119 on: June 09, 2016, 08:38:19 am »

Yeah, so we kinda agree that her character was killed using Benghazi?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19120 on: June 09, 2016, 08:39:58 am »

I edited in a last sentence at the end of my post. "The hatred created Benghazi, Benghazi didn't create the hatred."

All Benghazi has done is consolidate things.  If it wasn't Benghazi it probably would be half a dozen different "scandals" and the result would be exactly the same.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19121 on: June 09, 2016, 09:00:18 am »

Yeah, so we kinda agree that her character was killed using Benghazi?
If nothing else, it was certainly very, very obvious that was a major/the primary intention of the investigations et al.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19122 on: June 09, 2016, 09:17:00 am »

I edited in a last sentence at the end of my post. "The hatred created Benghazi, Benghazi didn't create the hatred."

All Benghazi has done is consolidate things.  If it wasn't Benghazi it probably would be half a dozen different "scandals" and the result would be exactly the same.

So your point is that the republican would have killed the favorability rating of any serious Dem presidential candidate? (No offense to Bernie, but no one 6 month ago would have though he could have done that well, so there was little point if focusing on him. )

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19123 on: June 09, 2016, 11:15:07 am »

Trump recently started giving his speeches with a teleprompter, and FOX is suddenly talking about how awesome teleprompters are, and that Trump is so cool for using them. And I'm not exaggerating this at all:

Quote from: FOX clips
MEGYN KELLY (HOST): A fired-up Donald Trump, a little less fired up than normal, perhaps, a little bit more controlled. Using the teleprompter, which is something we almost never see him do. Staying on message.

DAVID WOHL: Ronald Reagan was called the great communicator, I can tell you right now that you just witnessed it. Donald Trump is also a great communicator in a different way, and sometimes it can seem a little rough around the edges. But the power of his words -- and you just saw him reading off a prompter, and it's so natural

LOU DOBBS (HOST): What we saw tonight in that speech, which I thought was absolutely terrific, was a man who is saying “OK, I’ve had enough adventure, I’m going to return to the teleprompter. I’m going to stay on message.” You know -- and he was all business tonight, all business.

LISA KENNEDY MONTGOMERY: Do you think he was showing Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan that he was capable of doing that? Do you think that’s part of the strategy and the teleprompter?

STEVE DOOCY (CO-HOST): What a difference a teleprompter makes, many saying the presumptive GOP nominee sounded a little more presidential last night.

AINSLEY EARHARDT (CO-HOST): A lot of people saying that they liked it, they thought it was positive. Reading from the teleprompter made him a lot more presidential, they said. Wasn't all about himself, it was more about what he's going to do for the American people.

BRIAN KILMEADE (CO-HOST): What a difference a teleprompter makes. Many saying the presumptive GOP nominee sounded more presidential than ever last night. [Fox News, Fox & Friends, 6/8/16]

Lee Carter: "This Was A Totally Different Tone. First Time We've Seen Him With A Teleprompter, And He Really Did A Great Job."  From the June 8 edition of Fox News’ Fox & Friends:

It's literally wall-to-wall messaging over at FOX about how amazing teleprompters are, and that any serious presidential candidate needs one. That's sort of different to how they talked about Obama, and previously Trump was known to tweet attacks on both Obama and Clinton for giving speeches in which they used teleprompters.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:36:29 am by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19124 on: June 09, 2016, 11:26:23 am »

Thank you. In looking at how they assess the rating, I stand by my comment. Gerrymandering plays havoc with their calculation. If you look at the breakdown of NC by district, we have three districts which went Dem, all by margins of +19 or more. And ten which went Republican, all by margins of +8 or more. The huge Dem margins skew the numbers toward the center, but those huge margins exist because we have/had districts that were basically "let's stick all the blacks in one district".

Well if that's what you were saying my post was simply expressing a facet of that.
Me: NC is a red state.
You: No, it's not. See? Numbers!
Me: Those numbers are skewed because of the political landscape. We're a red state now.
You: Yeah, that's what I was saying.

???

Seriously, dude...it's okay to say "I stand corrected," once in a while. Unless you're copping a page from Clinton-senpai and doing the whole "I believe what you believe" thing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 1273 1274 [1275] 1276 1277 ... 1342