Poll

Good or bad idea?

Very good.
good.
meh.
bad.
Very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions  (Read 53215 times)

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2015, 10:07:33 am »

I really wouldn't sweat the low tech idea.  You're seriously going to pitch out most of your mod content if you try.  Only the gnomes are particularly unusual for standard fantasy tech, and they're not particularly so either.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2015, 11:21:29 am »

I dont think I will. ;)

I'm kicking out much of the dwarf content, which is still only about 10% of the mod content. I try to keep them purely metalworkers, miners, architects and warriors.

Fancy magic, steampunk, tech, etc, will still be in the mod, just in different play modes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2015, 12:38:55 pm »

What about guns?

I don't think it would be unreasonable to give dwarves access to gunpowder, seeing as how they are a mining race.  Also guns ('hand cannons') were already being used by the 10th century in China, and reached the West by the 13th.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2015, 12:47:49 pm »

I will give guns etc to humans. It reasonable that humans have to, since humans had it in the 14th, especially considering that they can trade for them.

But I got a lot of negative comments about muskets and dwarves, since it doesnt fit DF lore, so dwarf wont have any. Guns and Magic were the two largest things people mentioned.

You can still get them from human caravans I guess.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2015, 01:01:04 pm »

Rune ideas, no idea if it's possible:

Runes as buildings for area of effect buffs/debuffs. More expensive version of the item runes that can't be moved but can passively affect large groups of creatures within a few tiles of it. (I'm thinking speed runes in the main hallways, fearless runes on the battlements, recuperation runes in the hospitals, maybe "line of sight" runes in towers, etc.) It could use the building upgrade system, with more powerful runes requiring more materials that are lost if the rune is destroyed. (Build an array > define rune effect > increase rune effect)

If that isn't possible, then runes as passive magical traps. Then they can be loaded into weapon traps for things like syndromes or reusable flamethrowers. It's just the sort of thing one might expect from a civilization so isolationist and concerned about thieves that they literally live under rocks until food or money is involved.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Nevets_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2015, 03:56:50 pm »

If you want a building for generating power, you might want to consider a treadwheel.  Historically, it resembled a waterwheel and would have a person or animal walking inside of it to generate force.

I think this is a great idea, and while I don't know much about DFHack I think it might be possible to create a workshop that generates power with either a dwarf or a sufficiently large animal, I think it would just be a modification to the dfhack plugin that makes the steam engine generate power:

1 tile workshop.
Reaction A: Uses a dwarf & trains pump operating skill & generates 20 power.
Reaction B: Checks for an animal on the workshop's tile or the 8 tiles surrounding it, if it finds one checks it's size, and if it's bigger than a dwarf the machine runs for a month without interruption & generates 20 power.

So you could build the workshop on or next to a patch of grass, create a 3x3 pasture around it and put in a horse or donkey or ox.  Even if you put it on repeat you'd need a dwarf to come by every so often to restart the reaction (check on the animal, refill it's feed bag, clean up the manure, etc.).  Maybe you could even code it so that it wont work with starving animals, so if you build the workshop on a grassless floor you'll get a job cancellation notice before the animals start to die, and then you could manually rotate in full animals from your regular pastures and let the starving ones eat.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 05, 2015, 09:26:02 pm »

From the latest devlog:

reactions can now be categorized within shop menus and they can provide information during job selection to stop it all from being overwhelming.

So you may want to keep that in mind.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #307 on: February 06, 2015, 01:30:36 am »

From the latest devlog:

reactions can now be categorized within shop menus and they can provide information during job selection to stop it all from being overwhelming.

Sounds like heaven to me. :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2015, 02:41:28 am »

It's heaven to all of us, heh, but I figured you're the one to benefit most from it, at least from what I saw of how you structure reactions.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 06, 2015, 05:30:27 am »

From the latest devlog:

This is awesome! Now I do not have to finish this help script I have lying around. I could now reliably add help on reaction without binding it to a hotkey.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #310 on: February 06, 2015, 08:11:01 am »

Once Toady releases that ^^

righthandoftyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 06, 2015, 05:23:15 pm »

Just a quick suggestion to go along with the brick furnace for megaprojects (inspired by this thread), what about some sort of bulk glassmaker to generate gems of any desired color for windows?  This would make large stained glass windows and similar projects much easier.  Something like one unit of sand makes a small glass gem of any color for windows, two units makes a large gem for use in Gems of Light (or whatever else you make out of large gems)?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 06, 2015, 05:56:59 pm »

I may add a couple new colors of stained glass to the Ashland Glassblower, but they will require some quantity of mineral stains, not freebies.  Otherwise it wouldn't be a megaproject ;) 

Currently there are cobalt blue and gold 'ruby' glass; I've gotten suggestions for pitchblende or lead yellow, and I've done a little bit of research and found there are nickel violet and tin white, among many other colors possible.

I just have to redo the way the furniture reactions work, which doesn't scale nicely to allow more colors the way it's done right now.

FearsomeClarinet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 23, 2015, 02:10:59 pm »

Warlocks: Either stay mostly as is, or get changed to have lots of uncontrollable undeads running around.

I dunno if right here is a place to give this kind of minor feedback, and I know warlocks won't be started for a while, but I would prefer if there is still easily obtainable controlled undead whenever you get to it, because I think it fits the "lore" of warlocks to have lots of minions doing their work while they only do the spells. It would be cool if you had something similar to the way zombies used to work, with them being uncontrollable but easier to get than the already easy to get skeletons, that way you can have both. Just my preference though, I'm sure whatever you do will be a Masterwork Meph <3

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #314 on: February 23, 2015, 09:26:49 pm »

The difference would mostly be from "actual undeads OPPOSED TO LIFE units" and "fake undead civ members that have all the same tags as undeads, but are not OPPOSED TO LIFE".

It's mostly a raw thing, with one resulting in random undeads swarming around, the other in working ghouls and skeletons.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27