Poll

Good or bad idea?

Very good.
good.
meh.
bad.
Very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions  (Read 53181 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions
« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2015, 04:09:30 pm »

cinnabar can easily be made to separate it's sulfur and mercury components crushed cinnabar being roasted in a rotary kiln and it separates out into sulfur and mercury the process was known since the late stone ages and the Romans even documented the process and the acute and long term toxicity of mercury was known as well as another roman account describes the criminal punishment to cinnabar mines as a death sentence.

this could probably be replicated by a reaction that produces a brimstone bolder and probably a special liquid material that replicates the mercury that goes into a flask or vial or a special tool item of a flask of mercury for the cost of a cinnabar bolder and a flask/vial and some fuel.
That sounds good.

I think I'll add most of this to existing infrastructure, like the kiln and quern/millstone, instead of invencting a chemist for it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2015, 06:50:43 pm »

also cinnabar was the traditional source for the red dye pigment Vermilion Red although that been phased out as the toxic effects of mercury became more known so maybe also add a dye making reaction for cinnabar as well.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2015, 10:26:33 pm »

Vanilla Dwarf fortress does have a uranium ore although currently it doesn't do anything and it's just a rock. Maybe the gnomes can use it?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2015, 11:38:42 pm »

Just wanted to ask something before I suggest anything silly, but Banshees, Centaurs, and Automatons are being cut with the reborn version right?

Just wanted to be clear on that, since they're still in the image on the update thread.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2015, 01:03:39 am »

Vanilla Dwarf fortress does have a uranium ore although currently it doesn't do anything and it's just a rock. Maybe the gnomes can use it?

I'm pretty sure uranium ore is called Warpstone in masterwork, and some races have use for it.

---

Also, nitpick/niche suggestion time, but could we separate the crop and egg components of harder farming into their own options? I like being pressured to build outside, but sometimes I just want to quickly whip up a large batch of whatever nasty reptiles/birds my race has access to or the elves are trading for defense purposes. Even if somebody exploits the eggs/hatchlings for food, they still need to set up an outside farm, or do something clever to provide a secure and sustainable well, if they want drinks. 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:29 am »

I'm pretty sure uranium ore is called Warpstone in masterwork, and some races have use for it.

Pitchblende is still in Masterwork; Warpstone is something different.

Lostsoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2015, 09:38:03 am »

Not sure if this is already somewhere, but can we have vote next race we hope to get added after dwarfs are finished?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2015, 11:55:25 am »

Even if fission/fusion doesn't get implemented, uranium-oxide was historically used as a yellow-coloring agent in pottery glazes and glasses, most notably it's the source of the bright yellow-green wallpaper that was so popular in Victorian Great Britain that is currently causing a massive, continuous health hazard in the older neighborhoods.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:56:57 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Nevets_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2015, 12:55:04 pm »

It would be nice if we could get some more ways of producing dye, rather than just farming dimple cubs, kobold bulbs, etc.  Maybe a reaction at the millstone that turns 1 specific boulder into 10 dye powders?  It would be give players a reason to hunt for the rarer economic stones that aren't already used so they can keep making orange shirts or teal pants.

bluntobj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2015, 04:05:51 pm »

How about a powdered metal sintered into a bolt, cannonball, or bullet?  It could be ground in the mill, heated into a unmelted solid, then on contact would explode with effects.  This might be an alternative for thermite, as an alternative for creating dynamite.  (I have lost count of the chemist labs and dwarves that have died to this reaction.  It could also cause a variety of syndromes on inhalation.  Perhaps this could also be a new kind of trap, one that explodes a powder that causes syndromes, but does not have a explosive/fire effect.  Powdered Bifrost might act like a ice landmine or water mage ice effect. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #295 on: February 03, 2015, 12:49:31 am »

Not sure if this is already somewhere, but can we have vote next race we hope to get added after dwarfs are finished?
No, not really. I thought I do the hermit next, then humans or kobolds.

bluntobj: I'm trying to keep hightech stuff at bay at the moment, and keep closer to vanilla DF.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bluntobj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 03, 2015, 12:13:43 pm »

Well, beyond glazes or dyes, a low tech use for powdered metals might be for runes or the volcanic forge instead of bars.  This would provide a reason for power generating structures to power the mill.  Have you removed the steam engine from the dwarves in reborn?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #297 on: February 03, 2015, 02:04:44 pm »

Low tech, runes and volcanic metal. Ha, I think we have a different definition of the world low tech. :P

Steam Engine will come back, I forgot about it. On the other hand it's not exactly 14th century medieval tech... I dont know...

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 04, 2015, 03:24:53 am »

Do we really have to stick to the 14th century tech? I mean...Half of the current mod content would be wasted. All the industrial buildings, golems, turrets...Everything like that. Even plate armour reached its peak in the late 15th and 16th centuries, and the full suit of armour, commonly perceived as "medieval", was actually only a feature of the very end of the Middle Ages and of the Renaissance period. Not to mention gunpowder...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:32:16 am by Emperor »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 04, 2015, 09:54:43 am »

If you want a building for generating power, you might want to consider a treadwheel.  Historically, it resembled a waterwheel and would have a person or animal walking inside of it to generate force.

If you wanted, you could set it up like the old prison, sentencing a dwarf to spending a few months in the wheel, powering the fort.  I'm not sure if animals would be feasible, since they can't take jobs.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:56:42 am by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27