Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145850 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #1140 on: August 23, 2016, 10:11:42 am »

The whole faction interaction system was discussed at length in dev videos. This isn't something people are making up or misunderstanding.

Yes the faction system as it exists is disappointing.  Too easy to max relationship early in the game and then... what?  I have had a couple of encounters where one or another faction is going to have their reputation decreased but it means nothing as it is so easy to improve the relationship.  And no sign of befriending a particular faction bringing special benefits.

The game is being datamined, and I am pretty sure they, as for now, have proven that the "big faction battle" from the E3 Demo was pre-scripted and it doesn't happen in real game. Fuck, basically everything in that demo was pre-scripted.

The battle from E3 was definitely scripted.

Where do you get your information of what the dataming has revealed?  Or are the revelations pure speculation or your part?

I always find it sad when we need to use mods just to do some of the stuff in the demo footage. The low flight mod for example, which lets you fly around planets without the artificial 'safety cushion' that doesn't let you approach the ground or any surface feature.

I've been able to crash into things by not repairing the deflectors.  :)  (Yeah cheesy.)  If memory serves they added the no-crash feature late in the process when 'testers' were having problems.  Definitely a bad decision though...

In all honesty the insistence of claiming that the burden of proof is on those saying that there are no space battles (despite no playing ever seeing them. And there are people who have gotten to the center of the galaxy eleven times) because it hasn't been conclusively proven that somewhere in the game there aren't space battles taking place without anyone seeing them is in itself astonishing.

Huh?  If you are implying that I asked for that you are badly mistaken.  In fact I said you can't prove a negative but that if you want to make claims like 'no-one has seen it in the game' you better have a look to see if anyone is claiming to have seen it in the game.  And some people are claiming to have seen it.

Remember the flying creatures, the big airborne eels and stuff? Haven't seen any.

I've seen big flying centipedes.  Reckon that's close enough.  :)

The major thing which bothers me is that beyond the very early game I don't see how a lot of the mechanics do anything.  Once slots are maxed, techs known, upgrades chosen a lot of the 'content' (the buildings, aliens, drops) become redundant.  Couple that with the sheer abudance of resources and the lack of anything to do with units and the only thing left is the core exploration and a few nuiscance pirates and sentinels.  Given that it seems like a huge waste of development resources to have a shitload content which really only has any application in the very early game.  I feel like the dev's have been sucked into trying to provide a bit of what everyone is demanding and hence letting down the development of their own envisaged game.  I would have much preferred a nuanced faction system and forget the rpg faux-progression bit of the early game.  They probably would have had time over for several more features and might have balanced the techs for decent play rather than walk in the park kind of difficulty.

On the brighter side the soundtrack works really well for me, as does the procgen audio for the creatures, and the planet scenery is quite exceptional.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1142 on: August 23, 2016, 10:30:46 am »

Oh good god the player model... lol

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1143 on: August 23, 2016, 10:39:50 am »

Remember the flying creatures, the big airborne eels and stuff? Haven't seen any.
They apparently do exist in the files and you can bring out a buggy version out with modding, but that's about it. No trace of big sand worms either, and faction/diplomacy stuff is so barebone that it could not exist as well.

The battle from E3 was definitely scripted.
EVERYTHING on E3 was scripted, while Sean claimed it was on random and so on. Like, he literally said he's choosing a planet randomly while datamining even revealed that all the names we saw were pre-scripted.

Where do you get your information of what the dataming has revealed?  Or are the revelations pure speculation or your part?
there's a forum for that http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263009

And some people are claiming to have seen it.
I have seen Donald Trump in person and he promised me glory and world domination if he becomes president. He even let me touch his hair! I SWEAR IT'S TRUE!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1144 on: August 23, 2016, 10:42:56 am »

Yeah that's why I said 'more than anecdotal evidence'. A screenshot, a video, something beyond "yeah I totally saw it."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: August 23, 2016, 10:55:30 am »

I have seen Donald Trump in person and he promised me glory and world domination if he becomes president. He even let me touch his hair! I SWEAR IT'S TRUE!

I'm sorry Kot.

It was not his hair.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was not his hair.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1146 on: August 23, 2016, 10:56:03 am »

I saw some pretty big flying eel/fish, but then a bad storm came along and they disappeared. It was pretty glorious looking up at them! I didn't manage to get high enough to scan them though, so I can't go back for screenies :(

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1147 on: August 23, 2016, 10:58:26 am »

I'm sorry Kot.

It was not his hair.

It was not his hair.

I can live with this.
In fact, this is even better.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 23, 2016, 11:03:03 am »

Anyway I saw flying eels screens around and mining has it that the flying eels share the skeleton with the sandworms and there's a behavioural tag that gets attached in generation; that said it is'nt the only fishy thing of the sandworm planet demo, like when he said 'this planet is hotter because it's closer to the sun'

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 23, 2016, 11:10:57 am »

I'm sorry Kot.

It was not his hair.

It was not his hair.

I can live with this.
In fact, this is even better.
From this day on nothing will be the same. Colors will be livelier, food will taste different in your mouth.

At the centre of politics lies a irresistible pulse which draws you on a journey towards it to learn the true nature of the democracy. But, facing hostile politicians and fierce lobbyists, you'll know that elections come at a cost, and survival will be down to the choices you make over how you vote.

Welcome to a brand new universe of procedurally generated politics. Welcome to TRUMP
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1150 on: August 23, 2016, 11:26:19 am »

Make videogames great again!

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 23, 2016, 01:11:55 pm »

If you like it that's your business goes without saying.

But your "features in the gaps" argument doesn't make the cut, and you know it

Nonsense.  Features that have been missed is entirely logical for a game this size using procedural generation as extensively as NMS. And we are hearing more players who have spotted the so-called 'missing' features.  The link is in this thread to someone who fought a huge pirate battle. Comments on RPS report predatory AI in animals and being able to replicate everything in one of the trailers except for sandworms. 

Perhaps joining-a-faction isn't implemented. Well, egg on the developer's face then.  But that's not nearly the same as the laundry list of 'issues' that mostly boil down to 'I personally haven't seen these things and I feel cheated because I don't understand how huge problem spaces and procedural generation work and fell for the massive overhype'.   It's perfectly reasonable to not like it! But not liking it doesn't mean the developer lied.

Games media overhyped NMS dramatically without explaining or possibly without understanding how procedural generation and the sheer size of their game would impact the play experience. That's a problem created both by the developers and the media outlets.

Some features in the trailers may have been cut as development went on, which is irritating and upsetting but happens to many, many games. 

None of these are the same thing as shamelessly defrauding people of their money with a broken game or deliberately lying for sales, which is the accusation people are throwing around.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 23, 2016, 01:16:33 pm »

Can we just agree that these "missing" features are Schrödinger's features? They both exist and don't exist until it is proven conclusively in either way. Then everyone's happy and this pointless argument will finally end.

Just kidding, noone's ever happy on the internet, and the argument will never end.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 23, 2016, 01:18:15 pm »

Ah, the teapot defence.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 23, 2016, 01:18:59 pm »

I haven't bought NMS, and I won't either. I knew I wouldn't like it from the first time I heard about it. The big tipofff was "procedural generation", generally that means "we didn't have the time/manpower to design things properly". Generating some aspects of a game is all well and good, but trying to do most everything results in a boring mass of gray goo.

Also, games need to provide something for you to do. Players like to settle down and build a base or something, and a game about exploring space doesn't allow that.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 87