Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145876 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #1125 on: August 22, 2016, 11:07:16 pm »

"[Features] players are not used to"

This is a pretty pretentious statement. I may be reading a bit much into it, but at this moment you're basically just implying that others simply aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate NMS.

The above is an exaggeration, but my point remains. It's possible to not like a game because you don't like it and never would. It's possible to not like a game because it's objectively bad. It's possible to like a game even though it's objectively bad.

I'm sure there's at least one person out there who enjoys playing Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

That's not what I meant at all. I meant exactly what I said - NMS relies on things that are uncommon and disliked by a significant fraction of gamers.  There's no value judgement there any more than saying that some people like blue more than red, or white over wheat, or whatever other preference. 

I'm not the arbiter of gaming taste, or any other kind of taste.  :) I just don't want to be mocked for liking something others dislike.

I don't know, everything I would like about No Man's Sky (which is much of it) Spore did better while also having real progression in the way of giving the player more varied abilities over time.

I say without any irony that Spore does everything No Man's Sky does but better.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 22, 2016, 11:17:11 pm »

"[Features] players are not used to"

This is a pretty pretentious statement. I may be reading a bit much into it, but at this moment you're basically just implying that others simply aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate NMS.

The above is an exaggeration, but my point remains. It's possible to not like a game because you don't like it and never would. It's possible to not like a game because it's objectively bad. It's possible to like a game even though it's objectively bad.

I'm sure there's at least one person out there who enjoys playing Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

That's not what I meant at all. I meant exactly what I said - NMS relies on things that are uncommon and disliked by a significant fraction of gamers.  There's no value judgement there any more than saying that some people like blue more than red, or white over wheat, or whatever other preference. 

I'm not the arbiter of gaming taste, or any other kind of taste.  :) I just don't want to be mocked for liking something others dislike.

I don't know, everything I would like about No Man's Sky (which is much of it) Spore did better while also having real progression in the way of giving the player more varied abilities over time.

I say without any irony that Spore does everything No Man's Sky does but better.

It didn't quite hit the peaceful exploration and freedom of choice buttons for me, but yeah, Spore was decent.

I really don't care about progression, at least the way most games present it. Leveling up and becoming more capable is what real life is for.  Collecting a treasure tove of weird and pretty screenshots is the most game progression I really want. I freely admit that I'm an incredibly odd duck gaming-wise, so when I find games I actually enjoy I'm very happy.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:19:17 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 23, 2016, 12:12:39 am »

If you like it that's your business goes without saying.

But your "features in the gaps" argument doesn't make the cut, and you know it
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 23, 2016, 01:42:18 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias : "I paid for this 60$, I wouldn't pay that much for a lemon game, therefore it's good"

I'm sure that in some systems, there are huge faction battles and players can warp in and join them.

^ case in point

btw: a 8/8 stream from Sean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk_0ZjEBGxo is the footage much different than release? like at 53:50 he's flying over the terrain and ppl claim now you can't unless mod, so I'm confused
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:54:01 am by LoSboccacc »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 23, 2016, 05:40:17 am »

I honestly don't know if big faction vs. faction battles are in the game.  I'm not sure how anyone can claim to know that they are not (except for the dev's).  What I have seen is that several players have posted that have claim to have seen them.  For example https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/361798516955467745/#c361798516955543001  This is not the only poster I have seen claiming this, although it is possible that there is a confusion between 'big battle' and faction wars going on.  But I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least for now.  (I saw a couple of better examples a couple of days ago but I'm not prepared to sink ages into searching for them again, but I wish people claiming that this is clearly not in the game had done said searching... before making such definitive claims.) 

Personally I have not seen faction wars but I am also yet to see more than 5 pirate ships attacking at once and there have been multiple screenshots I have seen with 20+ pirates attacking, so I think it's safe to say that happens often enough.

The most ridiculous things I have heard about No Man Sky have come from people who have claimed that they were promised x, or that y is not in the game.  (Like, 'Butterflies are definitely not in the game" Sean Lied, after I had seen them twice in my first two systems.) Yeah, right.  The weight of hyperbole clearly falls on the haters here generally taking things out of context or making the small into the massive.

While there are some shortcomings, a couple of minor features left out, or not delivered as well as one might have hoped I think most haters are lambasting themselves.  Haven't any of the devout multiplayers seen Sean saying if you want the MMO experience then go play Elite? 

Nor is the lack of any specific player image in the files neccesarily a sign that there is no possibility of seeing other players - maybe all players have procgen images as one of the three factions already in the game?  Not making a claim of that nature but the damning which has taken place because of the lack of said image is hugely misplaced.  Another possibility is that HG ran out of time to get that into the release and were smart enough to remove their work in progess elements from the 1.0 release.

Sure there are some things which I wish had been done better, and I'm not sure how much I'll being still enjoying the game down the track but it clear that the game has delivered on its core promises of being about Exploration and Not Being for Everyone.

If $60 really was too much you should have kept your 'wallet' in your pants.   :P

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 23, 2016, 06:12:28 am »

The server will get wiped with a new build, the bugs are in the superformulae, and other players renaming things seems weird.
I saw an animal that a player had discovered before on a planet that had not being discovered in a system I had found..
I am in dead space too.
No one around me and I found a pet
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 23, 2016, 06:27:18 am »

The server will get wiped with a new build

gonna need some sauce with that

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1132 on: August 23, 2016, 06:52:12 am »

I honestly don't know if big faction vs. faction battles are in the game.  I'm not sure how anyone can claim to know that they are not (except for the dev's). 
It's a simple matter of probability. They very well may be in the game and are simply so rare that not one person so far has provided anything beyond anecdotal evidence. Why would they make a feature so rare? What would be the point?

A tenant of game design is, to paraphrase, content that a player never sees doesn't actually exist. They may have spent time developing it, but if nobody sees it or interacts with it then it effectively doesn't exist. There might be a hidden cave in Skyrim with the most amazing quest line ever written, but nobody has found it so it doesn't matter.

The whole faction interaction system was discussed at length in dev videos. This isn't something people are making up or misunderstanding. It was claimed that you'd be able to befriend factions, help them, join in their wars. I've seen none of that. I haven't even seen UI elements that support a faction system. You'd expect a faction screen, which displays their various attitudes. Or an overlay on the map that shows you where each faction is and what space they claim. None of that exists, as far as I can tell. Perhaps it's unlocked after you discover 9999 new galaxies? Who knows.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1133 on: August 23, 2016, 07:04:44 am »

The game is being datamined, and I am pretty sure they, as for now, have proven that the "big faction battle" from the E3 Demo was pre-scripted and it doesn't happen in real game. Fuck, basically everything in that demo was pre-scripted.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1134 on: August 23, 2016, 07:16:03 am »

I always find it sad when we need to use mods just to do some of the stuff in the demo footage. The low flight mod for example, which lets you fly around planets without the artificial 'safety cushion' that doesn't let you approach the ground or any surface feature.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:13 am »

In all honesty the insistence of claiming that the burden of proof is on those saying that there are no space battles (despite no playing ever seeing them. And there are people who have gotten to the center of the galaxy eleven times) because it hasn't been conclusively proven that somewhere in the game there aren't space battles taking place without anyone seeing them is in itself astonishing.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 23, 2016, 08:57:11 am »

In all honesty the insistence of claiming that the burden of proof is on those saying that there are no space battles (despite no playing ever seeing them. And there are people who have gotten to the center of the galaxy eleven times) because it hasn't been conclusively proven that somewhere in the game there aren't space battles taking place without anyone seeing them is in itself astonishing.

and wingmans. let's not forget the ai wingmans.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 23, 2016, 08:57:32 am »

They're all contained in a teapot closely orbiting the sun.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1138 on: August 23, 2016, 09:01:59 am »

Exactly. And not for lack of trying. People are datamining the game looking for any evidence of the things that were advertised.

Remember the desert planet showed in that one video, with the sandworms? Where are those?

Remember the flying creatures, the big airborne eels and stuff? Haven't seen any.

the faction stuff and space battles are just one example. The game is missing a lot of things that they showed off just a few months ago in demo footage. This is beyond the normal 'we made the screenshots and video prettier for E3' level stuff. This is making up whole ranges of content, implying or outright stating that they will be in the game, then failing to deliver. If I can use a recent example, what if Total War: Warhammer had released without a diplomacy system. It was advertised that you'd be able to engage other factions with diplomacy, and then the game comes out and there isn't a system to do that.

You can't just say "Well you don't KNOW the system isn't in the game! It might be there somewhere, or maybe it's bugged!"

Sure, it could be a bug. But don't you think the company and devs would come out and say "Woah guys, those features are in but a bug is stopping you accessing them. We're fixing it now!" The lack of UI features to support the system and the silence of the devs on the issue is evidence enough. I don't need to prove to you that something isn't there. It's the job of the game to show off its features to the player, and something like that faction system is a basic gameplay element that was pitched as a part of the experience.

The burden of proof is on the people who claimed these things exist, aka the devs.

They're all contained in a teapot closely orbiting the sun.
Well done, you made me go from grumpy to chuckling.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:05:48 am by forsaken1111 »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 23, 2016, 09:10:21 am »

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 87