Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146183 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #765 on: August 12, 2016, 06:29:16 pm »

I expected a game to chill out to, and so far that's what I got. It has its issues, most of which can be attributed to it obviously being a console game port, but I'm having fun, although I haven't really gotten to do any sort of space combat yet.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #766 on: August 12, 2016, 06:44:49 pm »

I expected a game to chill out to, and so far that's what I got. It has its issues, most of which can be attributed to it obviously being a console game port, but I'm having fun, although I haven't really gotten to do any sort of space combat yet.
I'd have been fine with it if the interface was designed for PC, and the performance was remotely tolerable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 12, 2016, 06:49:29 pm »

I'd have been fine with it if the interface was designed for PC, and the performance was remotely tolerable.

I am depressed we live in a world where seeing a PC release that is also coming out to consoles... is a sign you should be weary.

Like... expecting competency is asking for too much. SKYRIM!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #768 on: August 12, 2016, 06:50:52 pm »

At least in Skyrim we very quickly got a mod for the UI which unfucked it. I don't know how mod-able this game will be

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 12, 2016, 07:01:55 pm »

Huh. Weird that people are having so much trouble. I downloaded and started fine. I played with High textures and everything else medium, capped at 60FPS for the past ~5 hours and didn't notice any stuttering or glitching, certainly didn't have any crashes. I mean, yeah, it's a bit heavier on my system than I expected (given that I can run Skyrim with 4k textures and 200+ mods at 60FPS no problemo), but that's just optimization work that needs to be done.

--

Regarding actual content: The people who said "it's all the same" are full of shit. The only thing that was repetitive visually were the caves, since they apparently only bothered to make one generic stalagmite/tite and the hex-column iron block plus three colors of glowing plant. Looks mondo cool the first time, less so after that. Fauna and aboveground flora were massively varied, as were the geographical features.

The people who said that it only has 10h of gameplay or whatever are also full of shit. I'm 5h in and only on my third planet in my second system, still only have one suit upgrade and a slightly better multitool, am still on the starter ship, and I still feel like I've been rushing through stuff. Same with the people complaining about inventory space, amusingly enough--I've got seven of those suit upgrades already too, and I'm not trying to farm them.

That said, the flying sucks dicks. Seriously. It's fucking miserable. The ship handles like a bar of soap bouncing around a prison shower during a fight, the altitude limiter makes it next to impossible to see what's below you. And I understand why that limiter exists now, I'd be crashing left and right without it. The ship controls are a really loose and slippery mouse-point, W/S throttle, and A/D roll. That's it. Press E to auto-land, spacebar to in-system FTL. Flight needs some serious tightening before it is even remotely worth calling complete. Don't buy NMS if you wanted it for the flying, at least not yet.

On the whole, though, it delivers. It's the experience I wanted, albeit rough around the edges and with shitty flight.

e: Aaand there's already threads on reddit with setting tweaks to fix the FPS problem that people appear to be having. Might not have noticed it myself because I did a lot of it when I started the game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:08:34 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 12, 2016, 07:08:10 pm »

I decided to erase all my progress and restart fresh, and I was pleasantly surprised to get a better starter planet, this one is much more hospitable, so I don't have to recharge my armor thing all the time, and it's also nicer to explore. I think it belongs to the "verdoyant" class. Also I was lucky to start next to a giant deposit of that blue rock you need for the early repairs, which previously I had to run for a solid 10 minutes to find. It's also much less of a hassle once you know to scan your surroundings with "c" to find resources.

I may have seemed disappointed earlier but really I just tend to point out flaws more than praise good points. I think I can play this for at least a week or two.

(But I'm still annoyed that I have to hold every click to take effect, even in the option menus, at first I thought I couldn't change the graphic settings...)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:10:50 pm by Sirian »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 12, 2016, 07:13:48 pm »

Yeah man, I'm just a big fucking liar.  The game was great and I was like "i can't like this" so I said it was boring.

(◔ ͜ʖ◔)

The thing that really bugged me about spaceflight was that you can't look around in your cockpit.  I mean I know it's not a flight sim but not having a button to unlock the camera and look around is a pretty huge oversight in a game where exploring neat places is pretty much the only selling point.

I've also heard that the galaxy isn't really a spiral or ellipse, it's a flat plane that wraps on one axis and the "center" moves in relation to your movements to simulate moving around a central point.

I thought the floating copper deposits were cool the first time I saw them, then I saw that they were on every other planet too. 

The only meaningful difference between planets seems to be shape of animals and plants, color scheme, environmental hazards, and uh.  The uh...  Shit.  Even in my dim view of the game I expected to think of at least four things. 

And there's no barren planets.  The life may be weird and it may not look like life, but every planet is a fucking garden of life.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 12, 2016, 07:15:12 pm »

Yeah man, I'm just a big fucking liar.  The game was great and I was like "i can't like this" so I said it was boring.

Knew it! No Man's Sky is FLAWLESS!

I had no expectations coming in and it met every one of my expectations. :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 12, 2016, 07:19:13 pm »

There are definitely barren planets. Second one I landed on was a lifeless rock with a bunch of big grey-black plateaus.

The mineral deposits are definitely one thing they need to vary. Same shape for the same type every time is lazy.

But yes, they should have just copied... any good flight game. Doesn't have to be a sim, you can get basic shit like tight controls and freelook in Planetside 2.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 12, 2016, 07:26:15 pm »

Spoiler: NOPENOPENOPE (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mothlizardbirb (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: *juvenile giggles* (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 12, 2016, 07:31:05 pm »

Most of the negative reviews on Steam are regarding performance problems, it seems. Thats okay, I guess?

I'm just afraid that I wont be able to play it long enough to be able to decide wether I like it or not because of lag. I mean fuck even FD said that it was fairly tasking for his computer and it sounds like it's 'roided out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 12, 2016, 07:36:47 pm »

Not really roided out, just on the edge of reasonable for a normal person to buy. Quad-core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, GTX970. But I'm not using the full set of performance tricks and they aren't done patching, so I'm gonna wait and see how it goes. If you're running an AMD card or aren't certain you can handle it at all, yeah, definitely hold off for now.

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 12, 2016, 07:39:37 pm »

I've got 8gb, an FX 8350, and a GTX 980.  Performance wasn't among my complaints surprisingly enough, though I did have serious problems if I moved the mouse too fast.

Everything on the planet that isn't man-made has this sort of blurry, murky look to it though, and that's everywhere on every planet.  When I first got into the graphics I thought for a second I had the resolution set too low. That's what it looked like, that kind of look.

ALl the screenshots have it too so it wasn't just me.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 12, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »

Yeah, they did a couple other weird visual things that appear to be aping camera phenomena. Wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of soft-focus bullshit.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 12, 2016, 07:55:09 pm »

I refunded it mostly because my only method of finding out the game is good without spending money... fell through.

This game is far too risky...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:31:53 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 87