Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145779 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #510 on: August 09, 2016, 06:37:15 pm »

While I still think the hype over procedural generation is extremely stupid (the thread title triggers me), the game does look interesting enough that I think I may pick it up for PC when possible.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 09, 2016, 06:39:35 pm »

I would definitely say to only do PC. Sony should have waited for PS5.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 09, 2016, 06:41:05 pm »

I believe the base building and fleet management additions Sean mentioned is because it's simply what a LOT of people have been asking or expecting to be in the game from day one.
A lot of streamers spend a lot of time on a single planet, and I saw many mentions of "I wish I could store this here" and stuff like that.
Sean pays very close attention to such input, especially from testers. He said on the stream that they changed the planet rotation thing because testers where getting very confused.... that's what you get when you sell your space game to console people.

I would love to own some freighters and a base, really. As long as the base building is not half-assed like in Evochron series of games, for instance, where it seems the feature was thrown in there just so it could be on the game's description...and, at least the last time I played, when building a base you don't even own it. The faction you build in owns it, and all you get is the same discount you can get anywhere by having a license on a station.
So I'm excited for base building and fleet management, but I really hope that their implementation of it gives the player a feeling of ownership and control, other than "I'm just spawning this space-tent prop here and it will function exactly like any other npc space-tents".
I also expect that this takes at least 3-4 months, because I think if Hello Games keep up the sort of crunching-pace they have at the moment, employees will start dying.

-snip-

About building and exploration and what could be at the center of the galaxy: I agree completely. I don't completely know how it fits on the game's lore, but I'm 98% sure of what's there and why.
I also don't think it's the perfect game or anything, just a perfectly fun game. If I can enjoy Starbound (and I hate many things about it, along with Chucklefish), I definitely can enjoy this. I also remember enjoying Rodina (which is basically the same gameflow).
I just wish the price tag was like, half of what it is - because I may be really happy with the launch and everything, but it still feels like a VERY, VERY overpriced indie game. It makes it impossible for me to make my friends to buy it, and I also think this could hurt the game on reviews since people will treat it like the AAA game it's priced and marketed as.

In other words, if this wasn't spot-on a kind of game I always wanted to play (especially after I played the lackluster Spore Space Stage), I'd probably be among those who don't get the excitement and all the 'vibes'.

About going fast while flying low, I've seen some people do that and it seemed okay, especially post-patch. And I did see some people bumping into terrain. I think it works a bit like X Rebirth in which the ship will avoid collisions for you by sticking/hovering over the surface (and walls, IIRC), but if you keep pushing towards the obstacle, this protection is overriden. Mind that I haven't played the game, but that's the impression I got from all the streams.

Oh..and post-patch the planets and stuff looks SO much better. I've seen places that reminds me of Venus, some that reminds me of Mercury, scary places, dead places.. I also felt really satisfied with the difficulty on certain types of planets where Sentinel activity and behavior is..different. I still wish they were smarter somehow, but I think the smart AI is present on actual military drones after you cut through the scouts.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:45:19 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 09, 2016, 06:47:40 pm »

that's what you get when you sell your space game to console people.
Hey now, let's not be mean to the peasants. Would I let any but the most reliable of them touch my horse, much less take care of it? Of course not! But it's just mean to remind them of their condition. We need to have a set standard of decency.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 09, 2016, 07:09:38 pm »

Two bits of breaking news:

First movement trick found.
Two players arranged a meet-up. They couldn't see each other. Sean a liar, or is it because the server is shitting itself right now? You decide!

3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 09, 2016, 07:16:18 pm »

And now that I've seen reviews and gameplay... I think this is the kind of game I enjoy when I just want to relax. Sorely tempted to grab it, but have to check if I can spare the expense.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 09, 2016, 07:19:16 pm »

Two players arranged a meet-up. They couldn't see each other. Sean a liar, or is it because the server is shitting itself right now? You decide!

IT JUST WORKS

EDIT: To be honest, yesterday a saw a user trying to use the new "Scan for discoveries" feature - the post-patch one that's supposed to make it easier to find other players.
He pressed the button accidentally but it kept hanging on for a long time, as if the server was dead, and there didn't even seem to be some sort of timeout set up.
I would imagine they commented out their matchmaking/whatever-brings-two-players-into-the-same-shard code on their servers or something like that. Lying about that would be a terrible hit to their reputation on their first large-scale title, so I wouldn't jump to conspiracies.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:28:34 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 09, 2016, 07:27:51 pm »

Realtalk though, from what I recall they were talking about some sort of lobby-like system for multiplayer encounters where players in the same system could be grouped up and synched together (because obviously constant updating of player activity across the 'verse isn't possible or practical, and you can't have pausing in true multiplayer). If that's the case, I would not at all be surprised if it's bugged or broken by the influx of players. Gonna wait a day or two before I draw conclusions.

3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 09, 2016, 08:01:52 pm »

IT JUST WORKS

And here I thought they specifically said while promoting the game that they didn't want to talk about things that might not be in the game...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #519 on: August 09, 2016, 08:23:44 pm »

Amazing how people were adamant about it being incredibly unlikely to ever find another person and those guys did it in hours by accident

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:27 pm »

My thoroughly unprofessional projection is that it was one of those things they had on the backburner but didn't get working in time for launch, so they just stressed the "you'll probably never see anyone else" and hoped that that would give them time to either work on it more or determine that it wasn't feasible at all. That would definitely explain the line they've been pushing of late re: multiplayer.

If that's true and it's not just server shittery, it kinda cheeses me off that they didn't just come out and say that it's not in the game right now (like they did for construction), but as far as my personal experience is concerned not having to worry about other people waving their dicks in my face or whatever it is that people do in public multiplayer for games like this do (LOL INTERDICTION GANK LOL *cough*)... that's not exactly a loss.

Amazing how people were adamant about it being incredibly unlikely to ever find another person and those guys did it in hours by accident
It wasn't by accident. One noticed the traces of another player having visited systems, went there, found his PSN ID, and contacted him outside of the game for a meet-up. They spent a while streaming and trying to find each other. Which is pretty much what I was saying would happen earlier. In the vacuum of "players just playing the game will never meet each other in almost all cases", that's true, but it's also obviously not how online multiplayer works when real people are involved. Think it was some wishful thinking on the part of the NMS team.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #521 on: August 09, 2016, 08:30:52 pm »

I just meant they didn't start the game with that goal, it happened organically which is even cooler.

Pretty terrible that they lied about the whole multiplayer thing though, if it turns out to be the case
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:46:22 pm by forsaken1111 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 09, 2016, 08:45:08 pm »

While I still think the hype over procedural generation is extremely stupid (the thread title triggers me), the game does look interesting enough that I think I may pick it up for PC when possible.

Wanna know something funny? The first time I saw this... I thought it was parody, that it was criticizing the blatant hallow advertisement the game was doing, and pretty much a LOT of other games that toute a "Tons of stuff" phrase.

An example on a game that doesn't suck was Star Ocean 2's "over 70 endings"... Which was kind of true, but in the dinkiest way possible.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 09, 2016, 08:53:20 pm »

I just meant they didn't start the game with that goal, it happened organically which is even cooler.

Pretty terrible that they lied about the whole multiplayer thing though, if it turns out to be the case
To be fair, from what I remember most of the "multiplayer? Sure, I guess" stuff is a year+ old and they've been reeling back on it for a while now. But you know how the hype train works, if a dev even hints at something maybe happening someday there'll be people who are outraged that they didn't have it done yesterday. And maybe it is legitimately in the game but the server strain they've been tweeting about broke whatever system they use to drag people into multiplayer instances (for lack of a better word). Certainly wouldn't be the first time launch-day overload broke multiplayer on a new game.

S'why I'm waiting on this one to see how Sean responds. I'm not really inclined to assume malice, because most of what they've done to expand on the game both past and future is "You guys want that? Okay, we'll try to make it!" Sloppy responsiveness, on the other hand, yeah...

e: Also, as was pointed out on reddit, why would they include the ability to track other players' movements in the launch patch if they were lying about multiplayer? That's why I'm betting that it's either the server being down or that they were hoping to patch it in as soon as it was finished.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:03:58 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 09, 2016, 09:09:18 pm »

@FD re base building. The worlds are built from a seed and from what I recall from interviews you can't see changes people hav made, only your own, because the world is built individually for each person. Dunno how they plan on working base building into that, but it doesn't give me much hope for finding others bases.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 87