Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145852 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #480 on: August 09, 2016, 02:05:16 am »

Wow, I forgot to watch (and to ask if anyone watched) the stream today where Sean and Grant (the art director dude) played the game for an hour, and everyone kept asking if Sean was high or drunk.
I've only watched for 10 minutes and I think it's hilarious. "My shiiiippp!!", "Look at the lights!!!".
He have admitted he didn't eat and hasn't been sleeping.. so it's a mix of funny with sad too. The things game development can do to you...

In case anyone's interested, here's the link. Watch as he spends minutes trying to explain why he likes the lights so much.
And of course...there's probably some minor spoilers thrown in there. He tried to kept it spoiler free, but on the first five minutes ends up describing an item, what it is and where's the best places to sell it...so I'm not sure what else could be in there.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:23 am »

My vote is drunk. Since if he was high he would have started coming down before the end.

Also so I don't get more "Neonivek you either love this game or you hate it! pick one!"

No I didn't hate the stream... Well ok I thought the streamers were terrible (and I actually complained to a buddy that they let these guys stream it... only to find out they were the developers and I laughed). It really didn't impress me though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:20:33 am by Neonivek »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 09, 2016, 02:25:49 am »

My vote is drunk. Since if he was high he would have started coming down before the end.

Also so I don't get more "Neonivek you either love this game or you hate it! pick one!"

No I didn't hate the stream... Well ok I thought the streamers were terrible (and I actually complained to a buddy that they let these guys stream it... only to find out they were the developers and I laughed). It really didn't impress me though.

He claimed he was just sleep deprived in the AMA. Not sure I'm buying it, though.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 09, 2016, 02:28:46 am »

Exhaustion can* make you act like you're high/drunk, and you won't come down from that without sleeping. :P

Source: past personal experience

* can isn't will
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 09, 2016, 02:33:39 am »

I'd question why he is so bad at his own game... But that is surprisingly common.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:56:34 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:01:26 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 09, 2016, 06:00:38 am »

In the end it is Starbound in 3d? But with only one server (Starbound is multi-only as well, but it starts local server)? That also means no modding. Didn't expect much else and will not buy as I already have Starbound and mods to at least make it playable, and worth its price. No way I pay 4 times more for less.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:04:32 am by lastverb »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 09, 2016, 07:18:27 am »

Okay, so that means you guys are going to not buy it and stop coming here to shit-talk it, right? :')

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 09, 2016, 07:32:49 am »

Okay, so that means you guys are going to not buy it and stop coming here to shit-talk it, right? :')

now one needs to shell 60$ to be entitled to an opinion? I've eyes and a brain thank you, no need to put a hand on ice to know it's cold.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 09, 2016, 07:43:25 am »

Um. Not at all what I meant. Just that the people who seem to be enjoying it the most (or at least talking about it the most) are the ones trying to constantly convince everyone else that it's shit.  ::)

I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm following a game in development, see some stuff that really turns me off, I stop following it. I don't keep posting about it all over the place if I am genuinely not interested in playing it. It's like, if you go to a restaurant and hate the food, sure, post a bad review on their web site or whatever. But who keeps going back to that restaurant every day and loudly complaining about how the food tastes bad?

It's a real case of "you get what you expect" from those videos, I think, and Jim seemed to be trying pretty hard to be unimpressed. Especially with stuff like saying, that he feels like he's seen everything, that there's no greater mystery out there, that everything is flat and lifeless... and then five minutes later talking about the hidden obelisk he found hinting at the secret history of one of the two species he'd come in contact with. Or complaining about the tiered detail fade-in as if that wasn't less jarring than Minecraft-style total pop-in from "nothing" to "everything" all at once? o.0

e: I mean, I can't speak for anyone else here, but I didn't want a linear predefined story. I wanted a galaxy I could go fuck around in. I wanted a modern space-pilot-sim that didn't fail at every turn or charge original backers double price for the full set of content when everyone else had to pay once. That had more interaction than "shoot things" and "sell things through an abstracted interface" at the same one of two or three identical space stations in every system. This is already a step beyond that, and mediocre details + content are frankly better than nothing. A lot of what he was saying is another way of phrasing what I said about imagination: if you're willing to immerse yourself, it'll work. If you're going in prepared to hate and nitpick, it probably won't.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:47:11 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 09, 2016, 07:52:37 am »

Yeah, guys please.  We've had probably 20 pages of people complaining with maybe 1 post a page of something meaningful.  You're entitled to your opinion for sure, but there's really no need to ride down everyone else's opinions with torches and pitch forks.

I only got to watch a little of Jim's gameplay but I watched a fair bit of the stream last night.  It does make me happy that there's more survival elements than I previously thought in the game (sucker for survival games) but realistically I still am planning on waiting till a week after it's out to make any real decision to buy it or not. 

There's one point where Sean got stuck in a blizzard and hides in a cave to get out of the wind so that he can warm up somewhat, that's pretty neat...  I dunno, I'm nervous to post any actual thoughts about the game here now so maybe we can just kinda keep it objective about what it actually is/does have as opposed to the subjective of what you thought it had?
e: I mean, I can't speak for anyone else here, but I didn't want a linear predefined story. I wanted a galaxy I could go fuck around in. I wanted a modern space-pilot-sim that didn't fail at every turn or charge original backers double price for the full set of content when everyone else had to pay once. That had more interaction than "shoot things" and "sell things through an abstracted interface" at the same one of two or three identical space stations in every system. This is already a step beyond that, and mediocre details + content are frankly better than nothing.
Did you see some of the different ship types that were in the game?  The one on the stream he could of bought off that beaked alien looked pretty sweet, I can't really parse mentally how the upgrade/layout of it made sense from the stream but the different ships actually look different and rather well designed  (aesthetically) at that.

I hope you can get the ring-pod ships that the npc pirates were flying, reminded me very much of a sisters of eve ship from Eve Online, would love so much to fly one of those around.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:56:55 am by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 09, 2016, 07:59:04 am »

Re: the survival stuff: I like that it looks harsh and unforgiving. I'm not a fan of the mechanic always being "watch the timer and keep shoving carbon in", if that's indeed what it is. Different effects based on the nature of the hazard might be nice.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 87