Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145849 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2016, 04:42:09 pm »

Eeh. Even with the changes to allow you to track player-visited systems, actually finding someone without coordinating outside the game seems astronomically unlikely. Though it would be cool if you could add Steam/PSN friends to an ingame contact list, then work at translating each others' ingame languages and setting coordinates to meet at. Make co-op a goal to work toward, that sounds neat, and the ease of getting separated would be a fun way to emphasize the size of the galaxy too.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2016, 04:54:13 pm »

I couldn't understand why, except maybe some weird notion of what "should be done for gold" instead of being added in a patch later.

It isn't that. Some of the changes are like "We noticed there is an actual challenge. Patched that out completely phew!"

Makes me dread the game being a "casual" game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 08, 2016, 06:05:19 pm »

E: Sean's doing an AMA.

I couldn't understand why, except maybe some weird notion of what "should be done for gold" instead of being added in a patch later.

It isn't that. Some of the changes are like "We noticed there is an actual challenge. Patched that out completely phew!"

Wait, which items are you talking about there? The only one I can think of is how they've lengthened the duration of planetary days because dumb testers were confused about the stations not being in the same place relative to their position after a few hours had passed, and that's a net positive because it means that they're making the day-night cycle longer than the 24 minutes it originally was--longer sunsets, night time that feels like night, encouraging the player to pick up and fly away if they want daylight, &c.

I mean, the inventory I can see, but only if you count inventory Tetris as actual difficulty rather than annoying artificial difficulty. Most of the proc-gen, equipment, and environmental stuff looks to be aimed at making things more complex, varied, and dangerous. They also explicitly removed the stuff that was making it ezmodo for the leak streamers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:15:05 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 08, 2016, 06:18:09 pm »

The patch notes seem to be full of stuff that I expected (like dead moons) and I'm very glad that they've put it all in before launch - I feel as though they're taking on board what play testers/the community has said.

I'm also really glad that they seem to be able to quickly add more content/variety - I was a little bit worried it'd be a kinda 'this is the algorithm' situation, with only small tweaks available.

More excited than previously. 

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 08, 2016, 06:22:27 pm »

I expect what happened is that they first focused on getting all of their algorithms working properly, then on testing how far they could push them, and that this is the point where they've found their limits and set them. I'll start picking useful posts from the AMA now:

Is the PC getting a midnight release?
The reality is that we're still here working on it right now. There's no conspiracy, we're just racing to get all the extra options and stuff we want. PS4 comes out tomorrow and we'll just try to pretend it's a normal work day! Best guess right now is 6pm GMT on Friday, but we'll keep you up to date as we get closer.

Hello Sean, I'm the one whose thread you linked in your recent blog post, which was titled "What do you do in No Man's Sky and other questions - Answered", and new moderator on the No Man's Sky sub-reddit! It's so great to finally have the opportunity to ask questions, its been a long time coming!

You mention being tight-lipped on the PC version, and you've got your reasons, but will you be tight lipped in this AMA? I'm very interested to know how the PC version has been coming along, and what settings we'll have access to.

Side-question, you mentioned years ago that you hadn't found a planet you'd rather live on than Earth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uYnwqlslU) - has this changed?
Whenever devs are tight-lipped, it's normally just because they literally, legally, can't talk about a thing. Man, you would surprised how wrapped up most devs are in contracts and nonesense. Often for instance lots of devs will have a clause that says "you literally can't say the name of platform X". Knowing this it's really funny watching interviews where devs are squirming trying not to the word Wii or whatever when being asked about some industry thing :) - you see us say things like "well the thing about supporting... that particular console is..."

That's all so far, it only started an hour or so ago.

Will PS4 and PC Universes be linked in any way?
PS4 and PC players are using two different servers. We are running a control experiment to see who names things the most juvenile things... Let the games begin!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:58:03 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 08, 2016, 06:53:37 pm »

?? Most of the patches I saw were removing exploits that made the game too easy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 08, 2016, 07:47:03 pm »

Is Neo an australian? Maybe he sees things upside-down. ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 08, 2016, 08:50:42 pm »

Is Neo an australian? Maybe he sees things upside-down. ;)

Or maybe I was looking at the wrong game and imagining what was there. Or maybe I was stricken blind.

Ohh you guys and your... well... *redacted*

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 08, 2016, 08:52:55 pm »

In better news, 6pm GMT Friday is 6am Saturday for me, so i'm.... probably not sleeping on friday. I will also be streaming this once it is out, in case anYone wants to watch a no-commentary gameplay.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 08, 2016, 09:50:25 pm »

Pretty good timing for me as well, 2pm EST, since I'm going bowling that morning. Too lazy to make video, but I'll throw up a first-impressions and analysis post, some screenshots, stuff like that.

3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 08, 2016, 10:49:53 pm »

The AMA posted that the PC version will have FOV options. Yay!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 09, 2016, 12:24:44 am »

It seems to me that they are targeting the release to be right when I have a dentist appointment on that day, on the same exact time.
At least, unlike Fallout 4, I'll be able to sleep (and play the game rested while, probably, being unable to speak).

About the patch, it was mostly obvious things to me since I watched the leaks. Neonivek, if you watched the streams and you're still pointing at the sun shaking your fists..I'm sorry ma man, but I disagree with you.  :P The patch addressed 100% of the things that annoyed and worried me, as well as stuff that I thought was only to be coming 3 months from now (more tech, rebalanced inventory, that I remember of).

A ton of stuff like proper day/night cycles, galaxy and star-system size, as well as more variety and making habitable/life-bearing planets more rare sounded a bit weird - it's the sort of stuff that Sean has been saying in interviews for a long time. To me, there was no difference to the version the streamers/leakers have been playing and the version Sean has showcased around.
I saw a dude that had no fuel, simply finding a crapton of fuel all around when he noticed where to look. Even though that wouldn't really help him get to the center much faster, it..didn't really look balanced to me, and may have at least been nerfed.

And on another note..I'm sorry console folks..but damn those streamers are dumb and bad at games. "Let me drop this iron", turns around...mines 2 stacks of iron.
It got to a point that I stopped watching streams not because the fear of spoilers, but because the lack of any videogame skill was hurting me.
I did find one dude that played decently and it was a blast, though. But it was pre-patch and I was just trying to discover which race is which and stuff like that. I'm not really looking to go 100% blind on this one.

Oh, and.. "Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters."
I want to believe.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 09, 2016, 12:34:51 am »

Neonivek, if you watched the streams and you're still pointing at the sun shaking your fists..I'm sorry ma man, but I disagree with you. 

Was I doing that in the first place?

Wait a minute... Minor complaint + People dog piling on it =... Ohh crud...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 09, 2016, 12:35:57 am »

Neonivek, if you watched the streams and you're still pointing at the sun shaking your fists..I'm sorry ma man, but I disagree with you. 

Was I doing that in the first place?

Wait a minute... Minor complaint + People dog piling on it =... Ohh crud...

EJECT! EJECT!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 09, 2016, 12:48:41 am »

Time to go dark for the next three days. Run unspoiled, run deep, comrades.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 87