Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146110 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2016, 09:35:18 pm »

I'm honestly pretty sure that the devs simply have great technical knowledge (obviously) but don't quite, like, get the kind of effect certain matter-of-fact things might have? "We have 264 planets" is a very reasonable thing to say, it's totally true, it's to be expected, it's something a technical-minded person will hear and say "yeah", but someone who isn't technically minded will be like "HOLY SHIT THAT'S AMAZING". A lot of the hype is a collection of such matter-of-fact things. Dwarf Fortress can be the same way, often.

ah, that I agree with. They do seem to use technical mumbo jumbo in their videos I've seen that can easily be taken "wrong" by fans watching or overhyped to something it isn't. Still, from what I've seen, its almost entirely the players hyping it up.

That is VERY different than Spore, when Will Wright himself was overhyping his product...and while its probably entirely EA's fault that ruined it (since early videos of Will Wright showed him really excited for the game, newer videos showed him kinda sad and vastly less enthusiastic)...he still overhyped things up for Spore, the entire Spore dev team did. Which is different than what I've seen No Man's Sky doing. But this time its mostly (probably not entirely) the fans overhyping things up.

Still doesn't look like my type of game. And someone asked why I posted here when I'm not even interested in the game, same can be true for all the hate posts too. I literally have 0 interest in this, mostly because 60 dollars is a rip off (to me), I don't even spend that on new triple A games. And second, I mostly play games that are heavily moddable and this game they don't even talk about mods (from the stuff I've seen, unless I missed an interview about mods). And third, I like building and having empires in space games :P So I'm not even a fan of any kind for the game lol

Really I just wanted to put some balance into the discussion lol. At least puts things in another perspective. And while I'm not planning on buying the game (except maybe when its MUCH cheaper)...I have still enjoyed the videos they've done and shown off. So while I don't have any interest in playing the game, I still like what they've shown off.

So me saying I have "0 interest in this" may not be entirely accurate, I just don't plan on actually playing it. I'm actually most curious if it ends up how Spore did even though its not the devs hyping it up like Spore devs did. That and kinda curious what the game actually ends up being or if what is shown is actually all there is to the game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:23:00 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »

It looks like the sort of interesting thing I'd pick up on a console, having not heard of it before. Except much less obscure.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2016, 05:14:48 pm »

On another note, I like how the terrain destruction works a lot. Like when he blasted his way into that cave and the gun took out big chunks out of the terrain which looked realistic and visually pleasing instead of the planet being made of cubes or something. I can imagine having a really destructive battle on a planet and having everything just turn into craters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2016, 06:44:12 pm »

On another note, I like how the terrain destruction works a lot. Like when he blasted his way into that cave and the gun took out big chunks out of the terrain which looked realistic and visually pleasing instead of the planet being made of cubes or something. I can imagine having a really destructive battle on a planet and having everything just turn into craters.
Didn't they say all changes would be reset once you left the planet? If so, that pretty much would take out all the point of destroying the environment other than pure convenience.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2016, 07:00:42 pm »

Didn't they say all changes would be reset once you left the planet? If so, that pretty much would take out all the point of destroying the environment other than pure convenience.

if that is the case, thats pretty damn lame. That reminds me of Spore, leaving a planet would reset it. If you terraformed a planet in Spore a certain way and left, it wouldn't save the changes and do something entirely different to the look. In fact, that was one BIG reason I hated Spore space stage, cause of that single thing.

Is that actually accurate?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2016, 07:20:36 pm »

From what Sean Murray said, a lot of things like digging tunnels will be saved locally, so only you will see the changes you do to the terrain. Bigger stuff like exterminating a whole species from a planet will be shared through all players. I couldn't find anything more detailed and concrete than that, though.

Even though it'll probably be a fun game and I want to have it (on release, if possible), I also think 60$ is a ripoff. It won't be an arcade game, but it won't be a simulator. It won't exactly be a survival or sandbox game, and it won't provide full exploration for more hardcore exploration-type players. It sits dangerously close to where Spore decided to sit - not exactly arcade, not exactly sim - so I have a feeling it will be very awkward unless they notice it and fix the awkwardness first. Otherwise, it'll be a decently fun game (like Spore), but totally not worth its full price.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2016, 04:43:36 am »

Even though it'll probably be a fun game and I want to have it (on release, if possible), I also think 60$ is a ripoff. It won't be an arcade game, but it won't be a simulator. It won't exactly be a survival or sandbox game, and it won't provide full exploration for more hardcore exploration-type players. It sits dangerously close to where Spore decided to sit - not exactly arcade, not exactly sim - so I have a feeling it will be very awkward unless they notice it and fix the awkwardness first. Otherwise, it'll be a decently fun game (like Spore), but totally not worth its full price.

The survival stuff seems pretty good (heat and cold mostly), and the other systems they've got in place seem well developed and fit together nicely. I feel that they've got a coherent vision unlike Spore which didn't really know what it was doing. I do agree that the price point seems quite high though, especially this was definitely marketed as an indie game earlier on.

One thing that I'm actually really excited about is how this will push games forward - we'll demand more from our space exploration/sandbox games, and developers will have to strive to keep up. It's like when they put physics in FPS games - after they did that we couldn't really go back as anything that didn't have physics would be seen as archaic. Similarly, any space game without seamless planet landing, a massive variety in land-able planets and all the other things it's bringing to the table will be seen as a bit old school.

It's not that they've not been done before, but I believe it'll be a bit of a half-life moment (if not as good as an actual game), where everything else seems a bit restrictive until they catch up.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2016, 05:12:50 am »

Similarly, any space game without seamless planet landing, a massive variety in land-able planets and all the other things it's bringing to the table will be seen as a bit old school.

Yeah, good thing Starflight set that precedent in 1986.  Otherwise we might not have had Elite: Frontier in '93.

I am cautiously optimistic about what you are saying, but (as you point out) this sort of stuff has been done before and, while having an influence on some few niche games that followed, failed to set any sort of larger precedent for space games as a whole.

cautiously optimistic.  will certainly get it when it is on discount.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2016, 06:10:11 am »

Similarly, any space game without seamless planet landing, a massive variety in land-able planets and all the other things it's bringing to the table will be seen as a bit old school.

Yeah, good thing Starflight set that precedent in 1986.  Otherwise we might not have had Elite: Frontier in '93.

I am cautiously optimistic about what you are saying, but (as you point out) this sort of stuff has been done before and, while having an influence on some few niche games that followed, failed to set any sort of larger precedent for space games as a whole.

Yeah, I mean obviously this has been done before, but not really in an interactive or in a 'realistic 3d' way. Things like Evcheron have done that sort of thing recently, but the 'fly onto any planet' thing has always been a bit of a gimmick with no real interaction.

This is really the first game of the type to be getting real mainstream attention, and I'm hopeful that if it works out we'll see more developers pushing the 'open world' concept.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2016, 12:46:47 pm »

Yeah, I mean obviously this has been done before, but not really in an interactive or in a 'realistic 3d' way. Things like Evcheron have done that sort of thing recently, but the 'fly onto any planet' thing has always been a bit of a gimmick with no real interaction.

This is really the first game of the type to be getting real mainstream attention, and I'm hopeful that if it works out we'll see more developers pushing the 'open world' concept.

Yes, because AAA game developers are well known for their innovation and dedication to not beating concepts to death.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2016, 12:52:00 pm »

You mean they haven't been exploring how to make too many open world games at once? :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2016, 02:27:11 pm »

You mean they haven't been exploring how to make too many open world games at once? :P

It's more that I'm hoping that this will force them to push the envelope with open world games. If this is a big success it will have the advantage of both making all the churned out, tacked on 'open world' games/parts of games seem even less desirable, and set the bar higher for those that really do want to do an open world game.

It's like when Half-Life came out (I'm not saying it'll be as good as HL!), it shook up the whole FPS industry as it was the first mainstream FPS that had a proper story and interaction above just shooting stuff. At that point, you couldn't really go back to the whole doom-clone style as we had sort of surpassed it.

The impact obviously won't be as big, but I'm hoping that it'll at least push the bar a little bit.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2016, 10:09:36 pm »

From what Sean Murray said, a lot of things like digging tunnels will be saved locally, so only you will see the changes you do to the terrain. Bigger stuff like exterminating a whole species from a planet will be shared through all players. I couldn't find anything more detailed and concrete than that, though.

So..I watched the most recent video from IGN today and Murray mentions 'everything is reset' when you leave a planet, but he didn't explicitly talk about the terrain.
So now I have no idea. I really loved the video, but again I still don't think its' a 60USD game.

And Retropunch, I agree with ya. Hopefully it pushes the boundaries for better games that fits our interests, indeed.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2016, 11:32:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure he was just talking about how the game is able to have such a huge universe without loading screens.
Things far away aren't kept in memory.... they're "thrown away" until you come back.
He just phrased it a bit awkwardly.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2016, 11:44:39 pm »

Yep, hopefully it was just the awkwardness. :P

And did you see the path towards the center of the galaxy? Damn..with Spore, reaching the core always looks manageable, even when you find out that it's Grox infested territory.
But with NMS, unless the warp drive upgrades are really good, I guess there'll be a looot of stops before reaching the core (unless I derped when watching the video).
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 87