Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Movement Style?

Abstract
- 5 (45.5%)
Grid-based
- 3 (27.3%)
None; Tournament style (1v1, winners advance)
- 2 (18.2%)
Other (specify please)
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Galactic Deathmatch [7/6] - Round 1, FIGHT!  (Read 3134 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Galactic Deathmatch [7/6] - Round 1, FIGHT!
« on: January 02, 2015, 03:43:50 am »

This is an experimental game to test out the combat system I've made for Galaxy Rise, another forum game. So random hiatus/abandonment is a definite possibility.
It's a free-for-all space arena game. I'm aiming to take four to six players (maybe more) with their custom ships and weapons and pit them against each other in a section of space. There's no metagame/anything like that to it, but they can do anything with their resources. They could board another ship or just try to destroy it, etc. Feedback is extremely appreciated as that's the main point of this game.
Also don't be mad by overpowered things, please. If something's overpowered, just point it out. Once again, the main point. A round should hopefully be fairly short, and if it's not that bad, more rounds may be done. Maybe.

Rules
  • No alliances. (read: as in there cannot be multiple surviving ships)
  • No escaping the battlefield.
  • Kill everyone.
For reference, each ship is around the size of an average sci-fi frigate.
How this works is that everyone gets 25 points. You can spend these points on one armor system, one shield system, and as many weapons as you want.. The standard crew is 15 engineers, 20 marines, 3 officers, you. Don't worry about ammo or repair materials; just worry about time.
If everyone feels 25 points is too little, just say so.

Spoiler: Catalog (click to show/hide)

Sign-up Sheet
Code: [Select]
Ship Name:
Captain Name:
Ship Description:
Bought Items:
Backstory: (Super optional)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:27:59 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Deathmatch [0/5?]
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:58:15 am »

This looks fun. I'm half-thinking about making a really long backstory just to make you feel guilty when you abandon this game. ;)

Ship Name: HMS Inception
Captain Name: Pat
Ship Description: Standard sci-fi ship (this ok?)
Bought Items: Shuttle Pilot, Shuttle, and a Hangar Slot (1p), Veteran Crew (4p), 2 x Fighter Pilot, Fighter, and a Hangar slot (1p), Regular Shield (5p), Budget Armor (3p), High Power Beam (7p), 3 x Beam Turret (1p). 1+4+(2 x 1)+5+3+7+(3 x 1)=25p
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:28:03 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:02:18 am »

Ship Name: Queen Anne's Revenge
Captain Name: Spacebeard
Ship Description: Pitch black, with random spiky bits
Bought Items: Advanced Shields (10p), Regular Armour (5p), Shuttle Pilot, Shuttle, and a Hangar Slot (1p), Fighter Pilot, Fighter, and a Hangar slot x4 (1p x 4), Dual Energy Cannon (5p). 10 + 5 + 1 + (1 x 4) + 5 = 25 points

What are the points distribution for the Telemachus?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 07:26:16 am »

More Marines is overpriced and a bit useless. You can only take 20 marines on the shuttle anyway so you'd just be leaving the extra 5 on the ship where they do absolutely bugger all. If the ship were to come under attack, they'd quickly get wiped out by the 20 marines that are boarding the ship.

We don't know the anti-shield capabilities of most of the weapons. This is a problem for obvious reasons.

Missile Array is confusing. Is it supposed to be anti-armour, point defence, or anti-small ship?

Can shuttles pass right through shields?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:31:35 am »

Regarding marines, I beg to differ. In the close confine of an unknown ship, the attackers will be at a massive disadvantage. Even a few trained men, supported by a group of untrained (the engineers/officers) should be able to do a serious amount of damage to the attackers.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 07:37:45 am »

"Close confines." We're talking about standard sci-fi frigates.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:44:40 am »

Why would it being a frigate make it huge and spacious?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:31:12 am »

Not really "huge and spacious" but at least not "close confines" tiny.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 09:10:33 am »

Ship Name: USS Moray
Captain Name: George
Ship Description: Unpainted grey ship with hangars on either side of the rear half and engines mounted behind them, guns are on the front. kind of "T" shaped.
Bought Items: Railgun (4p), Fighter, and a Hangar slot (1p) ,Advanced Shield (10p), Regular Armor (5p), Energy Gatling Gun (3p), Fighter Pilot, Bomber Pilot, Bomber, and a Hangar slot (2p)
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 10:22:06 am »

Ship Name: Terrapin
Captain Name: Grace Testudo
Ship Description: Round ship with no visible weapons
Bought Items: Advanced Shield, Advanced Armor, extra marines, fighter and shuttle.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 12:52:13 pm »

Ship name: The swarm
Captain Name: Hilda
Ship description: A skeleton frame for transporting fighters through deep space
Bought items:
22 fighters
Budget armour
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:45:58 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 04:17:31 pm »

Shuttles require shields at 60% or lower to board the enemy ship.
Anyone can change their ship specifications to a reasonable degree until the game starts.

This looks fun. I'm half-thinking about making a really long backstory just to make you feel guilty when you abandon this game. ;)

Ship Name: HMS Inception
Captain Name: Pat
Ship Description: Standard sci-fi ship (this ok?)
Bought Items: Shuttle Pilot, Shuttle, and a Hangar Slot (1p), Veteran Crew (4p), 2 x Fighter Pilot, Fighter, and a Hangar slot (1p), Regular Shield (5p), Budget Armor (3p), High Power Beam (7p), 3 x Beam Turret (1p). 1+4+(2 x 1)+5+3+7+(3 x 1)=25p
This is fine.

Ship Name: Queen Anne's Revenge
Captain Name: Spacebeard
Ship Description: Pitch black, with random spiky bits
Bought Items: Advanced Shields (10p), Regular Armour (5p), Shuttle Pilot, Shuttle, and a Hangar Slot (1p), Fighter Pilot, Fighter, and a Hangar slot x4 (1p x 4), Dual Energy Cannon (5p). 10 + 5 + 1 + (1 x 4) + 5 = 25 points

What are the points distribution for the Telemachus?
Telemachus would have Regular Armor, Regular Shields, 3 fighters, and a DEC. Application is fine.

Ship Name: USS Moray
Captain Name: George
Ship Description: Unpainted grey ship with hangars on either side of the rear half and engines mounted behind them, guns are on the front. kind of "T" shaped.
Bought Items: Railgun (4p), Fighter, and a Hangar slot (1p) ,Advanced Shield (10p), Regular Armor (5p), Energy Gatling Gun (3p), Fighter Pilot, Bomber Pilot, Bomber, and a Hangar slot (2p)
Fine.

Ship Name: Terrapin
Captain Name: Grace Testudo
Ship Description: Round ship with no visible weapons
Bought Items: Advanced Shield, Advanced Armor, extra marines, fighter and shuttle.
Fine.

Ship name: The swarm
Captain Name: Hilda
Ship description: Actually just a cluster of fighters
Bought items:
25 fighters
As unique as this is, a mothership for your fighters is still necessary to house your captain.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Deathmatch [4/5?]
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 05:16:00 pm »

PTW,Looks interesting, Would join, But I'm GMing three games and can't spare the time.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Deathmatch [4/5?]
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 08:29:07 pm »

Two things:
1.) Poll time! This is for the movement style. Abstract is I just do it in my head. Grid-based is that all ships have a speed which is X amount of grids per turn. Would be a bit weird since I've never done grids before. Tournament style is basically everyone gets a 1v1 match where their positioning doesn't really matter (always engaged). This is done tournament style. Other should be obvious.
2.) Still open for any amount of people (read: 1-2 more, probably)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Deathmatch [4/5-6?]
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 03:50:16 am »

Last call for players and poll votes before starting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4