Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where shall the game begin?

Seedy Tavern (the one from TLA, still around)
- 5 (100%)
Omashu
- 0 (0%)
Pancaek's Tea Shop in Republic City
- 0 (0%)
Misty Palms Oasis
- 0 (0%)
Other (post it!)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Interest Check & Planning thread - Avatar / Legend of Korra game  (Read 11595 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check & Planning thread - Avatar / Legend of Korra game
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2015, 08:28:03 pm »

Go ahead. However, given that a such a massive conspiracy probably can't have gone unnoticed for 100 years if it operated like that, given some of the people involved in this world, I had an idea that might resolve both points:

In order to destabilize both sides, he's selling arms to dissident factions within each. A good explanation for hanging out with mercs, too.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2015, 08:29:50 pm »

1) You see, the vision of the family is pretty twisted and far from rational.
They are able to sell to both sides because formally they are on different sides under different names - they are scattered thorough the lands and it is only the family bounds that unite them. There are way more members on the side of UR - because of, as said, ultranationalism of EE. Still there are a few who work for Kuvira and secretly keep family informed.
EDIT: They started operating earlier than most of modern manufacturers, so they happen to own some of critical production lines.

2) He was sent to infiltrate into mercenaries' ranks and monitor the situation "from below" in case one of the sides tries to do some important black ops with help of said mercenaries.

Another racist.
Yay.
I saw that character who hated Fire nation and rich folks. Was he the one implied?
P.S. Dis gon b gud

EDIT: Mind if I change character's name? I suddenly figured it sounds more like EE rather than FN.
I believe that there are only two people who aren't prejudiced against a certain race.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2015, 03:03:51 am »

Go ahead. However, given that a such a massive conspiracy probably can't have gone unnoticed for 100 years if it operated like that, given some of the people involved in this world, I had an idea that might resolve both points:

In order to destabilize both sides, he's selling arms to dissident factions within each. A good explanation for hanging out with mercs, too.

Yes, that is nice. Though Lio is not a retailer himself, he has connections needed to establish a supply channel to any fraction.

Or maybe I should not made all that massive conspiracy mumbo-jumbo in the first place.

Maybe I should go with something more simplistic like this:
Spoiler: Turo Pakudzi (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:27:22 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2015, 07:52:09 pm »

Well, I'll leave it up to you which character you want to choose. The first might make a good person to organize these disparate mercs into a single party, while the second, being a metalbender would be very useful due to the number of other metalbenders you're likely to run into.

As for the rolling system, I've got 2 ideas: either a modified d20 system (enabling diverse numerical bonuses from traits, and different levels of skill mastery) or an "exploded" RTD system (as suggested by Divide_By_Zero) where rolling a 1 or a 6 results in an additional roll to determine the severity of the epic fail/overshoot.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2015, 07:54:26 pm »

d20 system will probably be best.

This isn't the type of game that would work well with an RTD system.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2015, 07:55:12 pm »

Yeah, D20 would make it easier to distinguish between combatants of different skill levels, too, which is important in such a martial-arts heavy setting.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2015, 08:07:55 pm »

Yeah, that as well.

Also, input on Turo.
I think that idea is much better, especially it's a style we don't have yet.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2015, 08:24:23 pm »

Just one small thing about Turo: is metalbending even possible as a first bending experience? I guess he might do it on accident somehow (might have happened in one of the comics I think?) then not know how to replicate it again until much later (though that raises the question of why no one before Toph did so). Normally people have to learn seismic sensing to see the little bits of Earth, then they bend the metal.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2015, 08:38:02 pm »

Just one small thing about Turo: is metalbending even possible as a first bending experience? I guess he might do it on accident somehow (might have happened in one of the comics I think?) then not know how to replicate it again until much later (though that raises the question of why no one before Toph did so). Normally people have to learn seismic sensing to see the little bits of Earth, then they bend the metal.
Well, to be fair, I think metal banding might have just been a case of no one trying it since it requires a really deep attunment with the earth. So maybe Turo is just that close to the earth that he just kind of... felt how to do it?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2015, 09:51:04 pm »

Seems a bit unlikely if he didn't discover his bending until he was 9

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2015, 04:42:45 am »

I can explain such a backstory at once.

You see, what I learned from avatarverse, that really strong emotional experiences result in things that seemed unreal so far and can be hardly repeated later1. Another reason: amount of metal around a bender (especially one grown in the Republic City) significantly increased since Toph Beifong. So, I thought that it would be kind of natural that in urban areas earthbenders can start with metalbending, while in rural areas the follow the classic way of development.
OR, he might just do it once and than go all the hard way of earthbending to repeat it.
About Toph Beifong - I think that she just did it when she needed it most: desperate, in iron cage. Circumstances were rather unique, especially being surronded with metal.

Spoiler: Example 1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:50:46 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2015, 11:40:33 am »

I think it's hardly fair to apply something the Avatar does to other people, but if you want to keep it, the "once, accidentally" then working hard to learn how to do it again sounds fine. Metalbenders still seem a bit rare, statistically, but since the world population has ballooned, there are a lot more of them around.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2015, 12:03:09 pm »

I think it's hardly fair to apply something the Avatar does to other people, but if you want to keep it, the "once, accidentally" then working hard to learn how to do it again sounds fine. Metalbenders still seem a bit rare, statistically, but since the world population has ballooned, there are a lot more of them around.

I'll go with that. Once, accidentally, then working hard to repeat it. Sounds rather plausible to me as well.
Sigs

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2015, 12:57:13 am »

So... any advancements?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2015, 01:13:03 am »

Sure. I've had some cool ideas for some technological things, and thought up a character sheet format:

Name: The character's name. Mention if they have a real name vs preferred name/alias/nickname here
Appearance: Goes without saying. Make sure to mention eye color. Unless they're always hidden somehow for some reason.
Background: Where they come from, how they got their present situation, what their behavior/personality is like. All that good stuff.
Skills/Abilities/Traits: What can they do? What traits do they have? Disadvantages? These will be resolved, after some judgement, into a number of traits that give + (or -) modifiers to rolls in relevant situations
Combat Style/ MO: How do they fight? If they're not the fighting type, what do they do?
Posessions: What stuff do they have?

A thought occurs: using a d20 system doesn't really allow for overshoots, at least not without reworking. Do we want overshoots?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12