Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where shall the game begin?

Seedy Tavern (the one from TLA, still around)
- 5 (100%)
Omashu
- 0 (0%)
Pancaek's Tea Shop in Republic City
- 0 (0%)
Misty Palms Oasis
- 0 (0%)
Other (post it!)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Interest Check & Planning thread - Avatar / Legend of Korra game  (Read 11615 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check & Planning thread - Avatar / Legend of Korra game
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2015, 04:03:35 pm »

Was actually thinking of starting the game in Omashu (since levels of security an oppression aren't uniform across the EE) but it's not set in stone.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2015, 04:52:47 pm »

I missed the start of the thing, but I'm interested.

So, Hugo...
Are guns a thing? I mean, handheld firearms?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:58:54 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2015, 05:12:41 pm »

He said 1920s Tech and didn't say anything when I asked for a baseball bat and combat knife,so probably.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2015, 05:15:50 pm »

The premise we'll be working with is (for the most part) in the OP, though is still up for discussion if you want.

Cool as it would be to have metalbenders doing stuff with bullets, no firearms. I am open to artillery, though. Using a "gun crew" of 6 or so earthbenders, EE has artillery capability: the crew uses their combined power to throw shells consisting of an earthen plug (so non-metalbenders can operate it), the aerodynamic metal casing, and an explosive payload. They have some difficulty aiming, though. UR might have similar artillery, and they and the FN also have "Funnel guns" that can be aimed somewhat better, which firebending crews throw their combinded bending into to produce a single, powerful, long-range blast. Might also be open to actual, non-bending non-spirit cannons as well.

He said 1920s Tech and didn't say anything when I asked for a baseball bat and combat knife,so probably.
Where was the baseball bat?

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2015, 05:17:06 pm »

It was in my preferred starting inventory, If it's a hassle I'll just use a cudgel.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »

Cudgel makes more sense, since they don't seem to have baseball. By 1920's I mean roughly equivalent, not literally. In terms of equivalence, there are several things they don't have (and some they do that the 20's didn't). Bear in mind this is nearly 30 years after the show's time, too, so there's also some innovation, but no firearms.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2015, 05:27:42 pm »

Well, there might be no need in guns if a metalbender can accelerate bullets without gunpowder, right? Though according to series, bullets won't make the speed they do with gunpowder...

Another question - what's a total year gap between events of Legend of Aang and current events? Somewhat a century, according to my evaluation.

EDIT: How accessible is spirit veins energy? Is it as common as electricity by now? Can it be converted?

EDIT2: Can firebenders that are able to use lightning guide that energy through conductors and thus be able to use railguns?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:44:00 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2015, 05:37:56 pm »

What about rock shrapnel?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2015, 06:07:12 pm »

Kuvira has lots of non-benders in her army. They tend to be in power-armor/mechs, though. Aside from vehicles, there are fighting skills and gadgets. Being someone who has the ninja-flippy skills to chi-block should go a long way.
Don't forget the ninjasnon-benders from Season 1.  They can dodge bending attacks just as effectively as benders can, but don't have the ability to block/defelct attacks with elements as benders can.
From what we can see, non-benders do have a range of options in a mercenary band...

Ninja archetype, like season 1 non-benders and Ty Lee from Aang's era.
Mecha suit pilots with varying-interchangeable/built-in weapon attachments.  May or may not have different archetypes/builds for the suits, including the winged flying type.  (>.>  Small Zaku)
Soldier archetype would probably need to be creative, if they ain't agile enough to dodge most attack, they need gear for all out defensesurviving against most/all the bending types, but still be able to have a weapon to kick the carp out of benders and non-benders.

@'Bullets': Icicle shards, pieces of sharp metal and rock shrapnel should probably be all classified the same...  The power being somewhere between a bolt from a crossbow and an arrow from a short bow.

...  Watching these Posts  /nerd
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2015, 06:16:33 pm »

Yeah, pretty much a century since TLA. There are a lot of spirit vines, but given the repercussions of harvesting them, and security reasons of preventing proliferation, they're almost exclusively used for the WMD stockpiles. Some military things, like the high-altitude airships bearing the spirit cannons, run on vine energy, though. Large-scale harvesting in the early days of the cold war led to many people being abducted or killed by spirits, and many of those taken were never recovered.

Metalbenders can match or equal the short-range and mid-range function of firearms, hurling rapid-fire sharp metal strips that can also wrap around/grab things. However, they can't match the range of a bullet. Normal earthbenders and waterbenders can manage similar. Waterbenders in conjunction can replicate a machine-gun nest / AA battery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTwLEijX6P0

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2015, 07:18:42 pm »

Check this out.

Spoiler: Lio Xinjang (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:30:32 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2015, 07:23:26 pm »

Another racist.
Yay.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2015, 07:26:00 pm »

THE EARTHSHAKER DOESNT LIKE RACISTS

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2015, 07:31:40 pm »

Check this out.

Spoiler: Lio Xinjang (click to show/hide)

Just a couple things:

1) FN and UR are allied, and destabilization of UR would threaten FN national security. The current Firelord, while against the use of spirit weapons, nevertheless benefits from the UR's having them. Additionally, since it's a cold war, selling weapons to both sides wouldn't do much to destabilize them. EE's resources and ultranationalism means they wouldn't import foreign arms, though UR probably uses contractors for their manufacturing needs. Their border is a demilitarized zone backed up with both conventional (bending) arms and WMDs.

2) What would such a well-to-do man be doing in whatever seedy merc-ridden place this game's starting in?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2015, 07:46:17 pm »

1) You see, the vision of the family is pretty twisted and far from rational.
They are able to sell to both sides because formally they are on different sides under different names - they are scattered thorough the lands and it is only the family bounds that unite them. There are way more members on the side of UR - because of, as said, ultranationalism of EE. Still there are a few who work for Kuvira and secretly keep family informed.
EDIT: They started operating earlier than most of modern manufacturers, so they happen to own some of critical production lines.

2) He was sent to infiltrate into mercenaries' ranks and monitor the situation "from below" in case one of the sides tries to do some important black ops with help of said mercenaries.

Another racist.
Yay.
I saw that character who hated Fire nation and rich folks. Was he the one implied?
P.S. Dis gon b gud

EDIT: Mind if I change character's name? I suddenly figured it sounds more like EE rather than FN.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:17:51 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12