Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Lets Play! The Movies SE -Update 7- Super PR Blitz Go!!  (Read 16171 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Lets Play! The Movies SE -Update 7- Super PR Blitz Go!!
« on: December 28, 2014, 10:14:30 pm »

Welcome to the dawn of the movie industry. The year is 1920 and your new studio's success lies in your hands. You must guide it to greatness! You must create the biggest movies and employ the most famous stars, as you strive to reach the summit of the Studio Charts, and reap the rewards of victory. First build a thriving studio. Hire wannabes and nurture them into your stars. Make the movies that'll get the big bucks rolling in and clean up at the awards!

Then, with every award you win, with every success you enjoy, your studio's reputation will grow. Soon, stars from rival companies will flock to your studio and you'll unlock new technologies, scenes, and sets to make your movies better than ever.

So what are you waiting for? You've got a suitcase full of cash and a world of possibilities before you! Now get out there and start making your dreams come true, because in the movie industry, anything is possible.

Welcome!

Released in 2005 by Lionhead Studios, The Movies is a business simulator/machinima tool. In it, the player takes control of a fledgling movie studio, keep the stars and directors happy, and make movies and hopefully money and awards. The Stunts and Effects expansion pack, released in 2006, added...well...stunts and effects. We'll be playing with that, but those won't come into play until the 60s.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So! We're gonna be playing a normal game, cause the Sandbox mode leaves out a couple features. And first things first, We're gonna need a NAME for our Studio!

We'll also need actors, actresses, and directors! And that's where you all will come in. How?
WITH THE STARMAKER!

Bundled with the game, this tool allows us to create a  close digital/not really  approximation of your mug to be in the game.

In addition to looks, we can also determine a star wannabe's personality. Of course, being the superficial hole that Hollywood is, a star's personality and looks will determine how 'suited' he or she is for certain film genres and their popularity. That is to say: Having a high Looks, Trimness and Chest Size help out stars in Action and Romance Films  and give a boost to popularity while Comedy or Horror stars don't particularly need to look good to fit the role. (This doesn't really apply to directors) That's why the world had fat Chris Pratt in Parks and Recreation and fit Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy

The second set of stats determine a star's previous experience in a certain genre. More experience = a better performance. Simple enough.

The third set of stats determine a star's temperament. Workers gain stress while working on films, be it acting or shooting. Likewise, they gain boredom if idle. Having points in these stats raises the threshold before they flip. Food and drink help stars destress, but too much leads to addiction, which leads to rehab, which leads to a star being out of commission. Points here will increase tolerance.

Lastly, points in Mood:Upper and Mood:Lower changes the threshold on how easily or harder it takes to put a star in a good or bad mood. Stars in good moods put in better performances while stars in bad moods will phone it in.

So what does that mean for you?? Well I want you all, the readers, to be the actors, actresses, and directors of our soon to be named studio! I you wish, send me a pic of yourself (It doesn't necessarily have to be a pic of yourself. It could be a picture of Abraham Lincoln or something) and I'll try to recreate you in the Starmaker and feature you in the LP. Also give me an idea of what your stats should be like. Starting out, I'll probably only need a single set of Actor and Director, but I'll add more on a rolling basis. Of course, I can paste your name on a random joe actor if that's your style as well. So let's go and see our name in lights!   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:05:30 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play! The Movies Stunts and Effects - Bay12 Goes Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »

Updates

Gneiss Films LLC Filmography
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:18:03 pm by TamerVirus »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 09:35:10 pm »

ptw
It's FEF, not FEOF

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:45:01 am »

Since I'm getting sweet F A in contribution right now, I'm just gonna start off later with the randos that the game provides us and move on from there

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 07:37:27 am »

Never fear, your greatest star has arrived!

Do what you can.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 07:43:45 am »

PTF.

Can we not populate the world with blatantly silly creations to be in our films?
This is a blank sig.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 09:43:26 am »

I considered submitting my mug, but you'll probably have a lot of men around. So I'll submit an animu grill instead, I wanna see how customizable the characters in this are.

Einst Alfimi. Or Alfimi Einst as you'll probably input it; Alfimi is her given name. She's a softspoken young girl.

Can we not populate the world with blatantly silly creations to be in our films?
You're the silly one, expecting non-silliness.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play! The Movies SE -Update 1- Humble Beginings
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 09:29:51 pm »

Episode 1- Humble Beginings

Since I was given no suggestions to what our studio would be, I had to turn to other things for inspiration. Things such as geology. BEHOLD, THE FOUNDING OF GNEISS PICTURES LLC! If you have issues with it, well too bad.

And so it begins! Its January 1920 and we're ready to put those thespian suckers out of business! If only they didn't give us an empty lot.

After a couple thousands of dollars later, I've got a rudimentary lot up and running. It looks kinda flim flam now, but once we have some movies out and the dough rolling it'll look better. But why bother?
  1) It gives us prestige and helps us bag awards. AIN'T GONNA GET RESPECT IF WE'RE SLOBS
  2) See 1.

So I've put up all the basic buildings integral to a movie studio.
 -A Stage School where we will take the wannabe joes and TRANSMOGRIFY them into those special Starmaker stars
 -A Crew Facility to hire the monkeys who operate the clapper and the camera
 -The Makeup Building so stars can keep up with newfangled fashion trends...or walk around in a hockey mask.
 -Pre and post production to turn scripts to film to money
 -A rickety old hut for screenwriters to churn out things that resemble scripts.
 -Cheap ass food and toilet facilities

STUDIO TOUR 1920 EDITION!

And now to introduce our starting batch of STARS!
 Meet, uh, this guy! He's kinda funny looking with big ears and nose. Definitely not a AAA Action hunk material, but he's gonna be behind the cameras, so no worry there. He's got some experience in some genres here and there but he's bound to learn. Meet Iron E Owell (With no backstory, the name goes to YOU!)

Meet Alfimi Einst, dimensionally and temporally displaced, this human alien person thing used to pilot giant fighting robots before acting as a pilot of a giant fighting robot. EXCITING. This translates to experience in Sci-fi and Action. He youthful good looks help her fit the part as well.

Now that we have the stars, we got to get the scripts and the films! But to get the scripts, we need the writers! Its not like they appear in thin air. For our first movie, I felt as if we should cater to our one starlet's strengths. SO ITS OFF TO SPACE! (Figuratively speaking)

In the mean time, I have Iron and Alfimi brush up their skills in the spiffy spaceship set

And a couple weeks later, our first script is finished! I immediately set the screenwriters to churn out a bunch other other scripts so we can sell for a quick buck and stave off bankruptcy until THE SPACE MONSTER is finished.

October 1921: On a eternally spring-like day (Variable weather only exists in movies people!), shooting of Gneiss Pictures LLC's first film begin!
Despite the fact that I build the spaceship set specifically for use in future Sci-fi films, our genius writers have decided to have all of our scenes on the blandest set imaginable: The bland stage of blandness

A couple months of filming later, our first work is ready for the masses!

...To a 3/5 star rating! (Please note that its 3/5ths of one star out of a possible 5 full stars)

The critics are much better at eviscerating our first Sci Fi outing.

And here is THE SPACE MONSTER! Gneiss Picture's LLC
(I've realized that we're gonna be going through A LOT of movies in the course of this LP. Most of them are gonna be game preset crap, so don't expect all the movies to be shown here. I'll post significant movies in our filmography as well as films that i make in the custom script maker, which is yet to be built)

SO NOW WHAT?
-I've got to put up more sets to keep our studio 'novelty' up but I don't have enough money for all of them
   Should I build: Wild West Stuff or the Dark Cellar Set? Or maybe a combo of both
-Obviously we got to put out more movies
  Should I film: More Sci-fi Stuff, More Action stuff, Or Comedy Horror or Romance?
-Or Should I do something completely different?

I'm gonna need more stars, so put up suggestions now before I rely on the random schmos hanging outside the Stage School

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 10:14:01 pm »

Since I was given no suggestions to what our studio would be, I had to turn to other things for inspiration. Things such as geology. BEHOLD, THE FOUNDING OF GNEISS PICTURES LLC! If you have issues with it, well too bad.
Tagline-Our Films Rock.
AUGH. Probably would have tried harder if I'd known this was the bleak future indecision was damning us to!

Meet, uh, this guy! He's kinda funny looking with big ears and nose. Definitely not a AAA Action hunk material, but he's gonna be behind the cameras, so no worry there. He's got some experience in some genres here and there but he's bound to learn. Meet Iron E Owell (With no backstory, the name goes to YOU!)
Probably going to gawk at his own existence
He's perfect! "Perfect for what" not being a question we need answered right now.

...To a 3/5 star rating! (Please note that its 3/5ths of one star out of a possible 5 full stars)
Ha! That's pretty gooh my god.

Well! It... made us some money and was a learning experience! And in the end, experience is all that matters.

My vote for sets is Dark Cellar. Every movie needs a horrifying cannibal scene!

Let's do another scifi thing. Alfimi's got a career to get typecast into!

It wouldn't really be fair for me to suggest another actor, but so help me I will if it's that or schmoes.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 04:04:52 pm »

Last call for more user submitted stars before I do my own thing

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 06:10:54 pm »

Costar inflicted located for Alfimi.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 09:16:55 pm »

Is it sad that the Sci-fi movie that looks like it is taking place on a rust bucket in space with characters with zapper guns but wearing out of date clothes even for the era they are in...

Reminds me pretty much exactly of Dr.Who.

UGH why isn't this game on Steam? I'd have bought that on the spot!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:14:15 pm by Neonivek »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 03:07:04 pm »

I'd vote for Dark Cellar and More Sci-Fi.

Looking forward to seeing how well this studio does.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 12:29:39 pm »

To escape the debt of one (1) beer to a Mr Freeman, Barney Calhoun has decided to flee his murky past and take up acting instead!

Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play! The Movies SE -Update 2- Duds, Burgers and 1920s Kung Fu
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 05:45:58 pm »

Episode 2- Duds, Burgers and 1920s Kung Fu
  Oh yeah! Our first movie is out! Let's see if its playing at the local single screen cinema across the lot.
What. We didn't make that! Turns out, Gneiss Pictures isn't the only game in town. And looks like our bribes aren't going through. Right now, there are four other picture makers to look disapprovingly at!
Sadly we are dead last in all regards. 0.4 stars! Our studio star rating is a composite product of the quality of stars, movies, wealth, and lot. Right now all of these metrics are shit. BUT DON'T COUNT OUT THE UNDERDOGS.
 Obviously our studio rankings aren't gonna sit on our asses, so I take a couple of wannabe's and throw them into the TRANSMOGRIFICATION MACHINE and they spit out two more actors for our studio!

Meet our first recruit! From one thousand or so years in the future and a 25-star General with crippling sexlexia, its Zapp Brannigan! His portly figure hides his future mastery of Sci-fi action acting!

He immediately goes to chat up the only female star on the lot, probably about how sexy he thinks he is. Typical.
  Not getting any suggestions until too late, The star TRANSMOGRIFICATION MACHINE spits out someone random. Meet our forth star....
Barney Calhoun  Abraham Lincoln! (Barney Calhoun has been input as the next star in a later update) Its a fact that he faked his own death, found the fountain of youth and went to Hollywood to pursue his true passion: ACTING!
  Seeing our 'success' with THE SPACE MONSTER, I task our screenwriters to churn out another Sci-fi scripts for Alfimi. And so they type. In the meanwhile, our stars get a short break. Iron tests his mettle with that newfangled 'put the ball in the hoop' sport. While Aflimi does the old pastime of putting large amounts of meat into bodily orifices.
  The screenwriters throw me a script for something called Tower Hamlet and I immediately have the dynamic duo of Iron and Alfimi work at turning it into a movie! Maybe it will use the Spacy Spaceship set this time.
  Wait a second...just one damn second...this looks kinda familiar... Same outfit...Same extra...No... GOD DAMMIT SCREEN WRITERS, YOU GAVE ME THE SAME SCRIPT AS THE LAST MOVIE. GAHHHHHH
The year is 1923, and our second movie is literally the same as the other one. Let me repeat...WE MADE THE SAME MOVIE AGAIN, BUT SLAPPED A DIFFERENT TITLE SCREEN ON IT. *Shakes fist some more* So much for innovation in the field of moviemaking....
In order to get some sort of originality out of the screenwriters, I have him do something different. Maybe say an Action movie? They throw me a script for "Menu of Disaster" and I send Iron and newcomer Zapp Brannigan to deal with it.
These harebrained screenwriters have a disturbing obsession with the stage, even though I have transplanted Iron's weird cellar onto the lot. Newly found  funds from our subpar movie releases allow me to plop down a shady bathroom set and a desert set for good measure.

Once Menu of Disaster wraps up filming, I let it out onto the wild, where we are rated....

The less said...the better.

THE STAGE IS CURSED. CURSED I TELL YOU! NO MORE!
...and henceforth shall no stage stain our films!

I immediately task the scriptcrew for another Sci-Fi script. Maybe this time they will be original!  So let's talk about the script writing process and how it works in this game. Script quality is defined by length. That's all there is to it. You could theoretically have a movie where ten scenes are shots of actor A walking through a door and it'll be heralded as a masterpiece of cinema. But for now, most of our scripts come from the 'Basic screenwriter's hut' which will churn out one star max quality scripts. Most of these will be pregenerated templates that take into account what our stages are. That's one reason we got a duplicate script as our second movie. As we unlock better quality screenwriter buildings, so too will the quality of scripts produced.

Now that there's no Stage set on the lot, I finally get a screenplay that uses our spaceship set. YAY! Title: THE BUGMASTER. Iron and Alfimi again collaborate on this next Sci-Fi opus.

During filming, I get a news bulletin about a couple of blokes who have decided to fly around the world. Who cares? Apparently the public does.
These are timeline events that represent the passage of history. These influence what genres of film are popular or unpopular with the general public. This event gives us a plus to future action films. I take an action script that's lying around and have our two spare actors have a go at it. Here's a fun fact, actors can direct and directors can act! What versatility! As shooting for the action film "Drumhead Justice' begins,
filming on "The Bugmaster' ends....
Having directed a good three/four films in a row, Our main director man Iron seems a bit frazzled. He goes to have a bite of food to calm himself from the horrors of work.

By 1925, I receive news of an inaugural 'so-called' award ceremony for us movie making folks. No worries! Truly the judges will know the TRUE ART our studio produces.
The awards are for Best Actor, Best Film, and Highest Charting Studio! Not only does winning give us large amounts of prestige, they also give us bonus perks! Its a shoe in.
We leave empty handed. Though they did announce a new award for the next ceremony in five years! Its an award for most prestigious studio lot and we are gonna take it for ourselves! After the awards show, we are sent to an achievement page. This page will keep track of our progress throughout the entire game and will award us with new sets and buildings as we reach new milestones. YAY FOR GOALS!

And that's all for this update folks. We're pretty okay financially with the recent movie blitz so no financial suggestions this time. We'll be unlocking the research building very soon, so we'll have more options later on.

So: I ask, what type of movie do you want to see next time?
-More of the same: Action, Sci-Fi?
-Something completely different: Comedy, Horror, Romance

BONUS!
-Menu of Disaster, our worst film yet
-The Bugmaster, Our best film yet...which is not saying much
Pages: [1] 2 3 4