Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Era of Diesel - OOC Thread - Shadow of the Khans [8/8]  (Read 14222 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Era of Diesel - OOC Thread - Shadow of the Khans [8/8]
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2015, 01:27:39 pm »

Question :

When can trade or others pacts be cancelled?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2015, 01:32:38 pm »

You can cancel them at any time but the effects are always at the start of the next turn. I mean, I'll still probably flip the switch on my trade/research deal table, but you'll be using the old PI/turn, Max Armies, etc. until a new global turn.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2015, 04:11:10 am »

Does the same count for research treaties?

On a side note, since cancelling won't take effect untill the next global turn, and treaties take effect the next global turn, there is no real drawback to switching treaties around, right?

Jarno21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2015, 04:22:47 am »

My building orders of last turn apparently did not get through.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2015, 04:28:09 am »

Right.

Also, nice stab here. You get a Sheb Seal of Approval.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2015, 04:34:47 am »

On a side note, I must say that with these new rules, fleet movements are slow. Much slower than the other game.

So slow as to be near useless, I'd dare say.

I mean, not only are you giving up half your army strength, but you have to build infrastructure, sacrifice PI, then wait to embark, wait for the fleet to get there, wait for it to unload, then face a drawback for naval attacks. There's no point where that can be beneficial.

The only advantage of fleet attacks was that they could be used for suprise attacks. With that taken away, there simply is no point in having them.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:08:01 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2015, 05:41:30 am »

Well, not only surprise attacks. Fleets also force your enemy to man all his coastal provinces, taking out a big chunk out of his max army limit, and letting you attack on province with only a single army. The malus to attacking from the sea is also nerfed by the fact that we're playing with d8 now.

They are also a bit faster than in my game, since they move 2 zone/turn, and that you only have ~50% more sea zones.

However, they suck at moving armies. To give an example, in my game one fleet can move one army across one sea zone each turn. Here, you need two fleets to do that. And if you need to cross 2 sea zones (which is close to equivalency, since my game's sea zone are larger) you need four fleets to do that. All of this make sustaining a fight across the sea impossible.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2015, 05:56:39 am »

Nope, a fleet can only move 1 tile if it also wants to land that turn, thus that severely reduces the amounts of coastal provinces they can threaten. Varies by player, but tends to be relatively low. Usually 4, maybe 7 at best. And that means you spend 1, maybe 2 turns maneuvering the fleet in position. Since you'll be going against a -3 (enemy will have fortifications), you need to bring between at least 3-4 units to have an even chance of winning.  (3 units = 40%; 4 is 65%). Since that means 3-4 fleets, you will be committing more units than your enemy.

Never mind the fact the fact that there's simply a whole lot less coast than in the previous game.

All of this make sustaining a fight across the sea impossible.
Hence, only good for surprise attacks.

In addition, harbors are only good to build fleets and allow embarkation*, whereas railroads have their own benefit. Also, building fleets requires IC.

*this also means that a unit which landed by naval forces can not retreat. Until it's build a port, meaning surviving at least 2 turns of attacks.

I must also add that the fact that armies spawn at the beginning of the turn gives a significant advantage to those who comes last, in this case, the NPC's.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:24:52 am by 10ebbor10 »

Jarno21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2015, 06:55:14 am »

Also, nice stab here. You get a Sheb Seal of Approval.

I would like to add the simple fact that if you have 1 fleet and 1 army, cou can effectively treathen up to 15 provinces if well placed (fleet in E can do this). Bearing in mind that it is not likely that you can attack that many enemy provinces, you can still probably treathen somewhere between 3 and 5 provinces with a single fleet. If the enemy does not want to lose his coastal provinces, he will have to defend all of them. Thus diverting a larger amount of armies from the main front. It isn't, however that useful for a main front.

Conclusion: fleets are slower but actually more threatening then in sheb's game.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:22 am »

Well, that's only if you're at war with the owners of all those provinces. True, you could use a fleet+army to get a few armies stuck, but that's a really fringe use.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2015, 08:02:08 am »

On a side note, I changed my turn.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2015, 08:08:57 am »

When you trade blueprints, do you get the benefits for the coming turn? Eg. If someone was to trade explosive shells to 10ebbor10 this turn, would he get the bonus this turn?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:02 am »

Uh, you first have to spend proper amount of turns on blueprint. It's like research, but turn-dependant instead of point-dependant :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2015, 08:17:55 am »

"Blueprint Research: When you receive a Tech blueprint via diplomatic trade, you're able to research that technology much faster. All of your Acadamies research at +2 RP/turn towards a technology you have the blueprints of, or +1/-1 of that depending on whether one has the Enlightened or Traditional Traits. Once you receive the blueprint, you can work on it any time you do not work on any Research Project; the blueprints won't disappear if you're currently researching something."

This sounds like a research bonus when you get blueprints.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2015, 08:20:53 am »

* Haspen stabs Glowcat for changing rules so sneakily I:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15