Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: mounts and other stuff  (Read 2652 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: mounts and other stuff
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 12:45:32 am »

I would probably go with elk birds or rutherers for dwarven mounts, they're barely dwarven if they're not from deep underground!

Also, mounts would, at least in concept, make longer weapons like spears and longswords more useful. Hard to kill someone from horseback with a large iron dagger...

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 04:05:33 am »

Yea using short weapons while mounted is very hard, from my experience from playing mount and blade, longer weapons are easier to use...
The Void shall consume all

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 05:42:28 am »

I would probably go with elk birds or rutherers for dwarven mounts, they're barely dwarven if they're not from deep underground!
Heresy! The only proper dwarven mount is the cave dragon.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 08:14:45 am »

Dwarves only ride in the Clown Car
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 10:51:53 am »

Heresy! The only proper dwarven mount is the cave dragon.
Dwarfs would need ladders to mount cave dragons...

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 11:01:20 am »

Dwarves are the only acceptable dwarf mounts. Stacked axelords? Fuck yeah!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 04:20:30 pm »

That reminds me of this.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 05:31:15 pm »

I haven't seen a LOTR mod anywhere, but then again I never look at mods. There might be one. How did you like the movie? I thought it was a bit over the top for some parts.
loved the film, the dwarves looked badass in full armour, they looked like mobile blocks of metal, they are how I envisonage the dwarves in DF

I point your attention to The Legacy, written by R.A. Salvatore, part of his epic saga of Drizzt Do'Urden (The dark elf) in the Forgotten Realms.

In the Legacy - following Streams of Silver, whereas Bruenor Battlehammer's home, a dwarven fortress, is reclaimed - the book consists mostly of epic battles between goblinkin and dark elves attacking the fort from underneath and above. It's one of my favourite books to reminisce of. I can still remember that moment in the cave, stalagmites, stalagtits and gloom described as the dwarves are ambushed on all sides. So much goodness. I might re-read it.

Afterthought: The latest two trilogies of the series are forced, none of the magic remains, he ends every chapter with "And that was the last of character X"... three chapters left, followed and opened by "OR SO THEY THOUGHT!". Every fucking chapter, ...mumblegrumble...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:33:43 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »

Mounts really don't make much sense in static fortress defense, so I'd be totally fine with dwarves in fort mode never using them.
I envision a common-sense-ish dwarven mount to be some kind of stout muscular pony - or alternatively, a horse-drawn chariot - which would be sensible for scouting and carrying messages, but only situationally useful in rare cases of open-terrain combat.
Actually ponies would be terrible for dwarves, in the fact they are not full grown. Stout Mountain Goats would be more useful

Ponies are full-grown, they're more of the dwarves of the horse world. Short but strong.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 10:40:50 am »

Foals and colts are ungrown horses. Ponies are a separate species. And even if you don't use mounts directly in fortress mode, the inclusion of them would give you extra reasons to keep and train animals. When Hill and Deep dwarves become part of Fortress mode you can raise animals for mounts then send soldiers out with them to defend the other sites/transport the mounts to their new homes.

Are we supposed to be getting subterranean enemy civilizations too? Like Goblins moving underground, or a Drow-type elf race that lives in caves?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 10:58:41 am »

Foals and colts are ungrown horses. Ponies are a separate species. And even if you don't use mounts directly in fortress mode, the inclusion of them would give you extra reasons to keep and train animals. When Hill and Deep dwarves become part of Fortress mode you can raise animals for mounts then send soldiers out with them to defend the other sites/transport the mounts to their new homes.

Are we supposed to be getting subterranean enemy civilizations too? Like Goblins moving underground, or a Drow-type elf race that lives in caves?

well goblins are quite underground right now, maybe extend how deep a dark fortress extends o make a new structure for it similar to mountain halls.

kobolds are another potentially underground civ. drows sound like a good idea. maybe having half-spider units

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 11:06:52 am »

At that point we could just flesh out the animal people so they pose an actual civilized front to handle. Heck, maybe when everything in the game gets fleshed out more, we could find that the caverns are a flourishing set of nations all their own. The United Federation of Batmen and Spidermen in the first cavern level are facing an invasion of Cobramen and Penguinmen from the second cavern level, while the neutral state of Koalamen down in the third wait with baited breath to see the outcome. And none of them are particularly pleased to see you.

Legendary Emu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig cisterns everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 01:51:43 pm »

Ponies are probably the perfect Dwarf riding animal. Especially if you have an especially Dwarven subspecies...

While we're at it, can we please make Dwarves pull their wagons with one species of animal? I'm getting really bugged by the fact that I get a dromedary and a yak pulling the same wagon.
Pages: 1 [2]