Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: mounts and other stuff  (Read 2653 times)

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mounts and other stuff
« on: December 26, 2014, 03:26:04 pm »

Just saw Battle of the Five Armies (went in the cinema, typical overcast british day, left snowing), and it got me thinking has anyone done a Lord of the rings style mod for DF?
Also dwarves need to have mounts, battle pigs and battle goats anyone?
The Void shall consume all

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: mounts and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 04:03:07 pm »

Giant badgers are the quintessential dwarven animal. They're digging, hairy creatures prone to go berserk at the drop of a hat.

Rams and bears are pretty dwarven, though.

Also I believe dwarven mounts will probably happen in the army arc.

towersquid

• Bay Watcher
  • All of my migrants are farmers. . . dirty farmers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 04:05:23 pm »

I haven't seen a LOTR mod anywhere, but then again I never look at mods. There might be one. How did you like the movie? I thought it was a bit over the top for some parts.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 04:10:39 pm »

I haven't seen a LOTR mod anywhere, but then again I never look at mods. There might be one. How did you like the movie? I thought it was a bit over the top for some parts.
loved the film, the dwarves looked badass in full armour, they looked like mobile blocks of metal, they are how I envisonage the dwarves in DF

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 05:16:25 pm »

having functional mounts would be cool, specially for adventure mode, but it will take a long time to implement it. look at multilvl trees for example, how much took to adjust them.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 06:45:03 pm »

True, very true, still the idea of dwarves charging around on giant badgers, bears, mountain goats, pigs or even Giant Flying Squirrels

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 07:21:51 pm »

Mounts are planned for adventure mode, according to development page. Invaders are sort of using mounts right now, so it is quite possible that they'll eventually be added to fortress dwarves too.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 10:49:05 pm »

Just saw Battle of the Five Armies (went in the cinema, typical overcast british day, left snowing), and it got me thinking has anyone done a Lord of the rings style mod for DF?

Yes. Not me, but yes, somebody has made the mod.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 01:21:30 am »

<derail>

I just saw this:

Hill/deep dwarves

Ability to move dwarves in and out of surroundings
    Relationship with surrounding dwarves
    Ability to trade/demand food in depot or similar place with surrounding dwarves

Praise be to Toady for awesome planned merchant interactions! And sending dwarves places! Woo!

</derail>

Sorry about that :P Had to share my excitement somewhere. All this stuff is going to add so much depth and badly-needed variety and interest to fort mode. Looking forward to the coming years of development!

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 10:04:48 am »

We need grizzly bear cavalry, just look at my avatar.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 06:23:04 pm »

Mounts really don't make much sense in static fortress defense, so I'd be totally fine with dwarves in fort mode never using them.
I envision a common-sense-ish dwarven mount to be some kind of stout muscular pony - or alternatively, a horse-drawn chariot - which would be sensible for scouting and carrying messages, but only situationally useful in rare cases of open-terrain combat.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 09:21:11 am »

Mounts really don't make much sense in static fortress defense, so I'd be totally fine with dwarves in fort mode never using them.
I envision a common-sense-ish dwarven mount to be some kind of stout muscular pony - or alternatively, a horse-drawn chariot - which would be sensible for scouting and carrying messages, but only situationally useful in rare cases of open-terrain combat.
Actually ponies would be terrible for dwarves, in the fact they are not full grown. Stout Mountain Goats would be more useful

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 09:36:41 am »

Heavy cavalry may not be useful for fort mode (even though it depends of your map), but when the "conquering the world" part of the army arc happens, dwarves will be weakened without cavalry.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 11:40:06 am »

Mounts in fort could be used for hunting, farming (make planting large fields easier), in fortress defence you could totaly send out dwarven spear/axe soilders on bears if for nothing more than fear factor, and ya know having dwarves ridding BA animals
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 11:43:36 am »

I always thought water buffalo would be good dwarves mounts. Vanilla dwarves have them, buffalo are quite big and lower to the ground than horses so dwarves could use them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia
Pages: [1] 2