Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Engravers a Jerk  (Read 3008 times)

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
My Engravers a Jerk
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:06:04 pm »

So awhile after a bush titan attacked my fort one of the militery dwarves who suffered permenant damage to his lungs got discharged hes been in a bad mood for some time now so I think to myself "Ill get my engravers to do !!ART!! In his room so he'll be happy"

After its done I check a few of the engravings

XXX is being struck down by bush titan "what"
dwarf is struck down by bush titan "dah hell"
Bush titan striking down XXX "dats mean"

So now my moody militery veteran has a room filled with pictures of his friends being killed by the titan that permanatly screwed his life over... Good job engravers... good job... and they're masterworks too...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:09:20 pm by Sprin »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
Re: My Engravers a Jerk
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 04:30:03 pm »

I had a mason once that had it out for everyone in the fort. Everytime he made a statue of someone in the fort, it was typically them cowering from a hated vermin, and or them being attacked by such and such enemy. Or it was statues of spiders. I kept him solely because he also did many a statue of elves dying in horrible ways, which was amusing considering none of the elves that came to that fort were ever attacked. They always brought me pretty cool war animals.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »

I had an engraver engrave the mayors office and dining room... with, apparently, mostly symbols of the political party the mayor was not part of. Um. Later turned out the mayor was a vampire, didn't feel as bad then, locking him in there.

In this fort, I have a problem with the guy who makes gold statues. They're of slugs. Gold slugs, but slugs nonetheless. I just wish he'd... come up with something, anything else, even a story with slugs in it. A dwarf with a slug. A bird being eaten by a slug. But no, they're all the same, a statue of a slug, a statue of a slug, and a statue of two slugs. I'm going to get myself a new goldsmith.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:20:48 pm »

They engrave/decorate recent events.

My statues have decorations all about Urist McExMilitia being rejected by other dorfs, since I've been changing my militia commander frequently. ::)

You can wait your veteran to throw a tantrum and kill the engraver, then make him a engraver, see if he can engrave something about himself striking down the former engraver.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:26:00 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:49:29 pm »

I had an engraver engrave the mayors office and dining room... with, apparently, mostly symbols of the political party the mayor was not part of. Um. Later turned out the mayor was a vampire, didn't feel as bad then, locking him in there.

In this fort, I have a problem with the guy who makes gold statues. They're of slugs. Gold slugs, but slugs nonetheless. I just wish he'd... come up with something, anything else, even a story with slugs in it. A dwarf with a slug. A bird being eaten by a slug. But no, they're all the same, a statue of a slug, a statue of a slug, and a statue of two slugs. I'm going to get myself a new goldsmith.
Dwarves like to engrave their own interests, so perhaps you should check your statue maker (metalworker?) and see if he/she likes slugs.  Replacing him/her might be best.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:54:34 pm »

I got a masterwork gold statue of a dragon, striking down a dwarf. The next statue was a platinum one, of a dwarf, striking down said dragon. Said second dwarf was the mother of said first dwarf.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 11:13:43 pm »

Dwarves like to engrave their own interests, so perhaps you should check your statue maker (metalworker?) and see if he/she likes slugs.  Replacing him/her might be best.
Or hates slugs, dwarven artists will also make depictions of things that haunt their nightmares as much as things that they dream of...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 01:01:11 am »

Either way, it would help if there was just one statue of a slug DOING something, instead of "this is a statue of a slug". Yes. Yes it is. Just like the other three behind it.

...I lost my temper and had a smelter melt 'em all down. Except for one, which I put in the tomb of the mayor, 'cos waste not want not. The mayor doesn't care about slugs one way or another, I checked.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 02:49:32 am »

I got a masterwork gold statue of a dragon, striking down a dwarf. The next statue was a platinum one, of a dwarf, striking down said dragon. Said second dwarf was the mother of said first dwarf.

That's why we all love this game, isn't it? The epic poetry of random number generators.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:29:17 am »

Engravers are trolls.

Back then in the last version I had one of my engravers trolling the mayor by representing him surrounded by worms and cowering. And it was hilarious.

Sadly, I've never seen a statue of worms striking a menacing pose.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 01:15:27 pm »

One of my engravers consistently filled people's bedrooms with engravings of night trolls horribly mutilating and killing people. No character traits to cause that particular bahaviour either, as far as I could see.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:32:48 pm »

I had two dwarves who were lovers, and the bff of the dwarfette in the pairing had a mutual grudge with the boyfriend.  She engraved his room full of mussels, which he hated.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 04:52:35 am »

One of my engravers consistently filled people's bedrooms with engravings of night trolls horribly mutilating and killing people. No character traits to cause that particular bahaviour either, as far as I could see.
Did said engraver really like history, aka "tradition"?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 10:59:27 pm »

Did said engraver really like history, aka "tradition"?
[/quote

Is that what makes them constantly engrave 90 zillion pictures of the mayor being voted in, or the time that Pansy McElf ate the king's wife after she was killed, and so on?

I always thought it tied into the lack of imagination traits.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.