OSX
- 18 (5.9%)
Linux
- 45 (14.7%)
Other
- 13 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 306

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 110

Author Topic: Armok Vision Project, on Hiatus.  (Read 510491 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress. 0.10.0 Release!
« Reply #900 on: August 09, 2016, 04:26:04 am »

http://imgur.com/a/cAwxg

SSAO makes things look really nice.

Hawen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 14, 2016, 06:22:05 pm »

The Armok Vison is great, so much so I got a forum account to be as presumptuous as to make my first post suggestions.

I hope you can forgive me, I can't help myself.

Would love to see:

-The first person veiwpoint to point to the direction of travel.

-Sbs Stereographic display

-Original view of Dwarf Fortress as fixed overlay with the black transparent and possibly a configurable amount of transparency for the remaining opaque ASCII ; favorably the Remaing ASCII to be an inverted color of the underlaying graphics

-More Z blocks or the ability to increase/reduce the amount of x/y and z blocks being rendered

-The ability to use the graphic tiles to replace creatures and dwarfs, eg. the LNP tiles

Keep up the great work.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 14, 2016, 11:29:36 pm »

The Armok Vison is great, so much so I got a forum account to be as presumptuous as to make my first post suggestions.

I hope you can forgive me, I can't help myself.
No problem. I always love suggestions. Sometimes I even do them. :)
Would love to see:

You mean in adventure mode? That's one of the things planned, but there's a lot of work before I can reach that point.
Already there. From the Unity manual:

Built applications: Choosing startup device

Your built application initializes and enables devices in the same order as the Player Settings list (see Enabling VR Support above). Devices not present in the list at build time are not available in the final build.

If you want to start with a device that isn’t at the top of the list, you can pass a command line argument to the executable to force a specific device at startup. Again, this device needs to have been included in the list prior to building the application.

The command line argument used to startup a specific device is:

-vrmode DEVICETYPE

where DEVICETYPE is one of the names from the supported VR devices list.

Example: MyGame.exe -vrmode oculus

-Original view of Dwarf Fortress as fixed overlay with the black transparent and possibly a configurable amount of transparency for the remaining opaque ASCII ; favorably the Remaing ASCII to be an inverted color of the underlaying graphics
That's a possibility. there's already something when you press the tilde key ingame.
-More Z blocks or the ability to increase/reduce the amount of x/y and z blocks being rendered
This has to be the most suggested feature that already exists. You can set the amount of rendered area in the config.json file that's created alongside Armok Vision when you run it first.
-The ability to use the graphic tiles to replace creatures and dwarfs, eg. the LNP tiles
I have plans for this, but it will take some time.
Keep up the great work.
Thanks, I do my best.

Hawen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 15, 2016, 03:22:51 pm »

You mean in adventure mode? That's one of the things planned, but there's a lot of work before I can reach that point.
Not necessarily only for adventure. When using the mouse wheel to zoom in all the way to enter first person view, the view port only points in one static direction. When the entity moves the view port stays "looking" in the initial direction.

For adventure mode consider integrating a "snapping to" cardinal directions from arrow or numpad input as a quick temporary fix (don't forget up "<" and down ">"), fortress mode would likely be a more complicated leading set up.

Also limiting the zoom to the mouse wheel resulted in me having to download a 3rd party app called "neat mouse":
http://neatdecisions.com/products/neatmouse/
to emulate the zoom function as my laptop mouse "scroll/Zoom" gestures are disregarded by the app.

Already there. From the Unity manual:

Built applications: Choosing startup device

Your built application initializes and enables devices in the same order as the Player Settings list (see Enabling VR Support above). Devices not present in the list at build time are not available in the final build.

If you want to start with a device that isn’t at the top of the list, you can pass a command line argument to the executable to force a specific device at startup. Again, this device needs to have been included in the list prior to building the application.

The command line argument used to startup a specific device is:

-vrmode DEVICETYPE

where DEVICETYPE is one of the names from the supported VR devices list.

Example: MyGame.exe -vrmode oculus
I appended "-vrmode split" into a windows shortcut file and it works great but there are only standard windowed resolutions. So the split is a splt of a whole opposed to a double width. Is there a switch to set resolution?

That's a possibility. there's already something when you press the tilde key ingame.
I know but I just want to play in full 3d immersion and the current overlay chops the world in half. I was suggesting more of a HUD display so I never have to look at the DF screen during an adventure run.

I was thinking I could just run DF on one computer and Armok vision on another and share the assets over a network then bring DF in through some video in and chromakey, elliptical transparency and overlay it on top of Armok vison but thats just madness.

This has to be the most suggested feature that already exists. You can set the amount of rendered area in the config.json file that's created alongside Armok Vision when you run it first.
Also works great, maybe consider putting this in the "read me" as an advanced section so you'll get less requests.

I have plans for this, but it will take some time.
Where does it currently read the graphic assets from? I dug around the folders but could only find some graphics of dwarf portions(which don't seem to be used) but not the bearded head or the hatted "U" for humans.

Also is there a way to turn off the newly intergrated (since 10.0) properly hide hidden areas? favorably letting Armok Vison render as much as it can, Climbing a mountian is like walking on a sliver.

Thanks again,
best wishes

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 15, 2016, 07:23:21 pm »

0.11.0 will have an option for hidden tiles.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 15, 2016, 08:43:03 pm »

Could it also have an options menu in the program?  Many people never notice that a config file exists.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 15, 2016, 08:49:37 pm »

Could it also have an options menu in the program?  Many people never notice that a config file exists.

It saddens me that this is true even among Dwarf Fortress players.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 15, 2016, 10:28:07 pm »

It saddens me that this is true even among Dwarf Fortress players.

On the other hand, getting those people to play Dwarf Fortress is practically my hobby  :P

But seriously, just imagine the number of players who might try DF if they could play entirely through Armok Vision...
 Donations here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 15, 2016, 11:25:40 pm »

That's the main thing I'm currently working on.

Hawen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 16, 2016, 03:45:47 pm »

Dug this up for VR resolution support, I don't know if it is proper to post this here but it worked to control the resolution for me:
Under header "Unity Standalone Player command line arguments"
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html

I put the tags at the end of a windows short cut as

"Armok Vision.exe" -vrmode split -screen-height 360  -screen-width 720

Of course the numbers can be changed, as this is a very minimal example

I simply ignored the resolution settings in the box during startup and hit "play!".

@ the top left under my handle, apparently I'm an "Escaped Lunatic"!?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 16, 2016, 05:48:43 pm »

@ the top left under my handle, apparently I'm an "Escaped Lunatic"!?

Code for "new forum user", it'll go away soon  ;)
 Donations here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 16, 2016, 10:56:50 pm »

Spoiler: TECHMOLOGY@! (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 17, 2016, 04:23:24 am »

*trying to decipher the page in the background for some reason*

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 17, 2016, 04:28:23 am »

*trying to decipher the page in the background for some reason*

It's the imgur front page.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 17, 2016, 10:11:55 am »

That explains why I didn't recognize it, I avoid the virus section as a usersub gatekeeper.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 110