Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: You Only Build Once  (Read 19879 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Only Build Once
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2014, 03:36:09 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

This is the "bugged" save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10343

I can't unzip that file. It is being reported as invalid.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2014, 04:02:33 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

This is the "bugged" save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10343

I can't unzip that file. It is being reported as invalid.

i just downloaded it and unzipped it, try again maybe? seems to be the correct one.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2014, 04:10:05 pm »

I looked at the meta data and found that the zip is actually rar encoded, so you'll need 7zip or Winrar to open it.  Native windows won't be able to handle it.

7zip opened it without any issues.  I renamed it to *.rar to agree with the encoding, so that may or may not be required.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2014, 04:18:04 pm »

I looked at the meta data and found that the zip is actually rar encoded, so you'll need 7zip or Winrar to open it.  Native windows won't be able to handle it.

7zip opened it without any issues.  I renamed it to *.rar to agree with the encoding, so that may or may not be required.

i am using winrar, i told it to save it as a zip, guess something funky happened, does it need reuploading or not? :P
my net isn't "that" bad, and there's no cap and can do other things whilst it is uploading.
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2014, 04:20:17 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

It's just fine ... once I'm not trying to open it as a .zip. :P

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2014, 04:32:40 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

It's just fine ... once I'm not trying to open it as a .zip. :P

i take it you get the same error of being unable to open it in DF?
Gets to loading the world and just freezes. with LAA it crashes on mine.

Tried to use the save before, whilst that opened ok, i let it run a few days and then saved as it meant the building was finished off. This also then became unusable.
So i've now had to go to the save before that, which removes a few buildings and 1 migrant wave but oh well. I ensured i had the save where that works.
I then finished up a building or two then immediately retired, successfully.

Obviously if anything particularly dodgy happens afterwards, it can be skipped and noted that it's not recommended using large embarks :P

this "should" be correctly done as a zip file, i think i know what error i may have made on the other one:
The "current" OnlyOnce file AFTER retiring:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/submit.php?action=message&fid=10345
If it isn't then let me know and i'll have to download a different unzipper
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 05:15:08 pm by Bigheaded »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2014, 05:59:33 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10345

It's fine. I just tested I could walk an adventurer through your fortress without the game crashing. 

I could.

Visitors will have to be quite patient, though, as it does get laggy in places.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2014, 06:37:35 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

It's fine. I just tested I could walk an adventurer through your fortress without the game crashing. 

I could.

I think it's the doors. I think DF REALLY REALLY REALLY hates doors which are outside, it seems to confuse the heck out of the pathing. Especially when they're slightly random. If i had finished going round the outside it probably wouldnt have been so bad rofl.

To be fair i do regret the doors now i think about it lol. What the f*** was i thinking haha  :D
oh well. It hasn't killed anyone... yet!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2014, 06:49:33 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

I could.

I think it's the doors. I think DF REALLY REALLY REALLY hates doors which are outside, it seems to confuse the heck out of the pathing. Especially when they're slightly random. If i had finished going round the outside it probably wouldnt have been so bad rofl.

To be fair i do regret the doors now i think about it lol. What the f*** was i thinking haha  :D
oh well. It hasn't killed anyone... yet!

Yeah, doors aren't properly handled by pathing.  The fastest way to kill a fort is to put a door in a main hallway and then lock it.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2014, 04:56:55 am »

I'm a cheating cheater.

In accordance with rule #11 and rule #10 I'm not saying that I'm downloading.  :-X

(lol, paradox).

Rule #12 Less is more. Whoever made the most wordy rule must be referred to as Wordy McWordiness.

[EDIT] OK, something weird has happened.

Skills available to Kobolds on adventurer generation have changed. Did Wordy McWordiness or bigheaded tweak the raws since I last played?

[EDITx2] It appears that it is impossible for me to claim sites now. Instead I get the message: "'I've forgotten my bold pronouncement"
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:23:05 am by ptb_ptb »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2014, 07:31:50 am »

i have not touched the raws, i downloaded the "full save" from the thread, then simply replaced the old save with the new save. So i don't expect that's me.

Can't say anything about the adventurer thing as i built a fort :P

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2014, 08:07:11 am »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Tedaz Dimfriend

56 Slate 5th.

Fate finds me in a cold empty cave far from anywhere. Well, there is _supposed_ to be a cave here, but caves are generally underground not outside and covered in snow. I have nothing to wear, and my only possessions are a copper dagger and spear. No armor, no backpack, no waterskin. I kill a muskox and have to drop the dagger in order to pick up some meat. Everything is frozen, there is nothing to drink. My map is completely blank. I set out in the vague hope of finding somewhere to take shelter for the night.

In the middle of the ice I find an abandoned dwarf ruin. A lump of raw adamantine is laying around on the ground. I find various other bits of junk then a barrel that still has some wine in it! I think about claiming this site, but immediately forget what I was doing. :/ (?)

It is late evening. Thick fog blankets everything and I can barely see my hands in front of my face. Where are the dwarf holes? I don't want to be outside when night hits. I am hungry, but have only found alcohol and cat skeletons.

Hallelujah! I've found a dwarf hole.

Things keep moving when I'm not looking. I think this place is haunted. :(

There is no food in the ruin, I head out into the frozen tundra looking for something to kill and eat. The thick fog makes it nearly impossible to hunt. I travel south far enough for the fog to clear and the occasional tree to be seen. An unwary honey badger becomes my meal. Further south I find a goblin dark pits and ambush a goblin patrol. I kill a goblin crossbowman, but (of course) all the things he was wearing are too large for me. Disheartened I go back to the dwarf ruins to sleep.

The next day I head back down to the goblin site. Perhaps I can find a safe nook to hide there for a while. On the way I am attacked by a rabid honey badger! It is a savage battle and ends with me covered with bites, but all parts largely intact. I can only hope I won't get infected with anything!

I succeed in finding a safe place to spend some time and retire in Hexlulls the goblin dark pits.

Save file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10348
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:38:10 am by ptb_ptb »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2014, 12:26:47 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

In accordance with rule #11 and rule #10 I'm not saying that I'm downloading.  :-X

(lol, paradox).

Rule #12 Less is more. Whoever made the most wordy rule must be referred to as Wordy McWordiness.

[EDIT] OK, something weird has happened.

Skills available to Kobolds on adventurer generation have changed. Did Wordy McWordiness or bigheaded tweak the raws since I last played?

[EDITx2] It appears that it is impossible for me to claim sites now. Instead I get the message: "'I've forgotten my bold pronouncement"

Looks like the skillset for an ousider.  Were you playing an outsider kobold this time?  If so, that's why it is different.  You'll have to play a kobold from Puzzleshaft if you want the full skillset.  It's also possible that the game finally recognized that puzzleshaft was a dead civilization.  In which case, only outsiders will be available.

I've had issues with claiming sites similar to that one, but not that one specifically though.  Usually I can get past issues by attempting to claim 3 or 4 times.  Eventually one works.

The only thing I can think of for that one is maybe you have a low memory stat?  No idea otherwise.

EDIT:  I have changed my personal text of my profile to reflect rule 12.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:31:48 pm by Tacomagic »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2014, 12:42:26 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Were you playing an outsider kobold this time?
Aha. I probably was. I started from a human cave. How a cave can be 'human' I am not sure. There also wasn't a cave entrance there (although it said there was). I didn't realize outsiders had different skills.

BTW .... stealth download. :P

Yep, that's right. I'm breaking RULE #3 in accordance with RULE #11.

I was able to shout my claim successfully in the goblin dark pits. In my second turn in a row.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2014, 01:40:51 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Were you playing an outsider kobold this time?
Aha. I probably was. I started from a human cave. How a cave can be 'human' I am not sure. There also wasn't a cave entrance there (although it said there was). I didn't realize outsiders had different skills.

BTW .... stealth download. :P

Yep, that's right. I'm breaking RULE #3 in accordance with RULE #11.

I was able to shout my claim successfully in the goblin dark pits. In my second turn in a row.

You dastardly genius.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9