Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: You Only Build Once  (Read 19871 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Only Build Once
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2014, 01:28:38 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

You should have used the logic I did in my fortress turn.
We arrived on the last-but one day of Fall. In accordance with our king's wishes we make a tribute of 10,000 urists times the number of years the fortress has existed. As of today the fortress has existed Zero days, or Zero years for a total tribute of Zero times 10,000. I shout out loud "I hereby pay the sum of Zero Urists in full to my King."
()==[:::::::::::::>

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2014, 01:48:44 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

We arrived on the last-but one day of Fall. In accordance with our king's wishes we make a tribute of 10,000 urists times the number of years the fortress has existed. As of today the fortress has existed Zero days, or Zero years for a total tribute of Zero times 10,000. I shout out loud "I hereby pay the sum of Zero Urists in full to my King."

Still, it shows how my rule can have uses. Lets say you "forget" about the fact you need to pay and have nothing except masons as you're doing some form of project (like i am, which hopefully an adventurer will come across in his travels) you can wangle a way out.
Can wangle a way out of a few things already :P

edit:
On an "interesting" note, it seems a lot of dwarves are coming from other forts.

Does an adept weaponsmith whos also a pretty solid trader come to mind? (last turn where loads of weapons were made? although i thought he was using a legendary weaponsmith). Perhaps not him, but i have loads of others who are rusty fisherman and rusty mechanics and all sorts, which i've not seen in a long time (mostly because i've rarely had an area with so many forts spewed across the map)

I'll have to save my fun plan for another time, i'm happy enough to do what i'm doing this turn anyhow. With people being busy, it shouldnt be too hard to put my other plan in motion with a 2nd turn soonish :P
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 01:51:05 pm by Bigheaded »
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2014, 01:55:23 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Does an adept weaponsmith whos also a pretty solid trader come to mind?

I know I, and tacomagic, both had well trained weaponsmiths. So they could be from either of our old forts.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2014, 02:25:43 pm »

Will be interesting to see if the size of an embark causes any bugs.

I have roughly 1/3rd of the maximum size possible, possibly larger.
Maximum height with at least 5-6 along. Perhaps as much as 9.

Should one of the kobolds fancy a nice rest, there will be beds and food available :P
Also will leave a bunch of weapons/armor/stuff.

It takes my computer (which is pretty solid) ~25 seconds to save, and is running at 80 FPS. There has literally been 1 death so far of ANYTHING in my fort.
We're talking a big area, which should be very easy to spot for a lil kobold ;)

edit:
My DF froze for a good 2 minutes, i finished building an outside door (with walls on either side) which allows entrance to a small enclosed house (currently without roof).
It said "construction partly completed" i then cancel the door as i'm pretty sure it was what caused the FPS to drop to ZERO. Strangely enough instead of disappearing, and leaving the unbuilt door, it finished building.
Not entirely sure if it's a bug with this map or if it's just DF in general. Will be building a few more, so can see if this continues to cause issues.

I believe a lot of my lag is pathing to get to my fort. I seem to have built so far away from everyone else it takes an entire year for migrants to reach me. Or they're all getting killed on the journey. Or something is weird with my migrant waves :P
Lastly, for amusement purposes and interest. I've named a bunch of them, so that if they join your fort you can say "hey, they came from that noob's fort... Bigheaded... that's the one :P "

Currently built 3 houses around the area and currently a really really random wall, was hoping to go most of the way round the fort. Ain't happening soon with the size of the embark
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 04:00:09 pm by Bigheaded »
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2014, 09:35:28 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Does an adept weaponsmith whos also a pretty solid trader come to mind?

I know I, and tacomagic, both had well trained weaponsmiths. So they could be from either of our old forts.

My weapon smith in the last fort was legendary +5: Erush Stelidmomuz.

That said, it could be from my very first fort.  Had a decent weaponsmith there whose name I don't recall. (S)He pumped out a TON of silver battle axes.

Alternately, pro-rating the amount you pay for the first year based on the number of days/weeks to the first caravan.  By the exact phrasing of the rule, pro-rating is allowed.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2014, 02:32:35 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Just to note that I've been testing DF 0.40.23 and had an unexplained non-repeatable game crash once (during first 6 months' game play). So I would not suggest upgrading at this point. I will be continuing to test play DF 0.40.23 to see if it was an isolated occurrence.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2014, 02:53:04 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Just to note that I've been testing DF 0.40.23 and had an unexplained non-repeatable game crash once (during first 6 months' game play). So I would not suggest upgrading at this point. I will be continuing to test play DF 0.40.23 to see if it was an isolated occurrence.

Good to know.  Haven't crashed a 40.23 game yet myself, but I've only played one smallish fortress in it so far.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2014, 03:42:43 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

I've just confirmed that the unretire crash still occurs.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2014, 04:52:57 pm »

note to self and for others.

Save should become available within 24 hours. I've not really finished building houses which was kind of the main aim of the embark after i made a mess my amazing turn begun.
Apart from putting in an interesting rule of course!

Will hopefullly be able to shove in my other rules shortly :P

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2014, 12:34:29 pm »

posting partly to see how long i have left ^^

Sadly the fort's not really turned out as i had hoped. Had aimed to build about 20 little houses around the perimeter, i've managed 6 :/
Oh well, always next time ;)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2014, 12:43:43 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

posting partly to see how long i have left ^^
You can keep going. Tacomagic's rule doesn't say your turn will be stolen. It says your turn may be stolen. :P
So it all depends on how much you trust your fellow players.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2014, 01:20:57 pm »

Ye but the fortress has slowed down considerably and only had a population of ~30. So i'm looking to move on partly for that purpose :P

Perhaps the very well trained military will come and join someone elses fort to save them from building one. Never know, they might join your kobold adventurer which would be amusing, apart from the fact they would kill everything before you'd get close!

Finished off a very small bridge which may be of use, although the river is small enough to be jumped over i believe. Took me ages to work out that you could do that lol.

Definitely had some dwarves from some of your forts now. I just had a legendary weaponsmith, creator of Anistrorash Tomem wander in.
took me years to get migrants, now they all show up. Probably because the first year i did very little trading with the dwarves due to them turning up so early.
although i'll pass the save on shortly, as doubling the size of my already quite slow fort is gonna be too much for it lol

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

Bwahaha, not entirely surprised but i got it to crash.

I am "presuming" that the size of my fort was something to do with it. It will fail to load my current fort.
I am able to load up the "autosave" which is nearly a full season behind, but everything which i wanted to do within the timeframe i now have is pretty much complete, i.e no half complete projects anywhere.
I shall post up the "fails to load" fort as well as both "pre-retire" and "post-retire" forts, although you may as well just use the post-retire, as you almost certainly don't want to run that FPS heavy fort. In fact, unless it's requested for bug finding. I'll just post up the post-retire and hold onto pre-retire. My net is a pile of crap and it's taking 5 minutes+++ to upload each.

The errorlog is only coming up with errors of things being unpathable. Everything is 100% pathable on my embark, so i can only guess that someone has blocked off the caverns in one of their saves, as it's mostly to do with cave spider webs.
Saves will be up within 30 mins, just mostly waiting for the upload

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Saves will be up within 30 mins, just mostly waiting for the upload

You don't have to upload everything at once. I would like the pre-retire as well, but you can do it tomorrow or something. Unless your Internet is metered per month or something. I'm not cruel :)

Oh yeah, and is your DF exe 'Large Address Aware'? If you're using Windows then you can check with this (It's a tiny program, so won't add to your Internet woes).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 02:50:46 pm by ptb_ptb »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2014, 03:09:44 pm »

tried using LAA (never used it before), it still crashes on my computer and seeing it runs most new games easily, would suggest it's pretty decent.

This is the "bugged" save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10343

Other two to follow, will just edit this post.

errorlog.txt info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9