Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 59

Author Topic: The Mind: Day 4 - Finale  (Read 112775 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: Day 3 - Flood in caves
« Reply #660 on: February 06, 2015, 11:01:31 am »

Home team

((Can I pull back on the aging thing a bit? So they mature in like a day or two instead of 15 arbitrary time units? {I'm assuming based on them reaching adolescence at ten}))
Keep playing and training.

Training continues under guise of playing. They have learned commands "wait", "attack", "stop biting me damn it".

Pet the puppies. The more of them imprint on me, the better.

This pile of puppies is taking liking into you. Front lowered on to ground, rear up high, tail wagging, inviting you into play and then darting off somewhere.

One of the puppies plays with Cromwell's shirt and then decides to pee on it. Then another. And another. Training is showing positive results. :P

Green team

"The fact that you found possible alien ruins is amazing, but I would suggest leaving now!"

Check how fast the water is rising, if it is safe to stay and wait for the other team then do that, if not run to the lab container.

Speed seems to be about 2 cm per minute, so it would take around... let's pull a number out of my ass: 10 minutes until there's no dry walkable spot in the cave.

Let's see how long it takes.

On comns "Cromwell you just got out sanityited get out of there". Head into base and make sure noone is messing with the crystals without knowing the risks of light triggered explosion.

You too run into lab. You discover it is completely dark in here, you guess geologists are not exactly idiots. Infrared filters let you see well enough. Briana is scanning the crystal with various tools and Erick is rummaging through boxes at back with dimmed flashlight. He notices your arrival.

"Hey Mark, gimme a hand! We gotta find strong opaque container for the crystal before others come and turn on lights accidentally!"

Red team

Continue west.
Let's leave this hellhole

Right, it is time to leave. Can't enjoy of your discovery if you are dead.

The team turn around and start sprinting back the way they came, no one paying attention to insects who are all going into opposite direction. The waterfall is gotten bigger, and is growing every moment. It doesn't yet threat your climbing route but it won't take long.

"I go down first, then doctor and then Mays, Schultz, biologist and officer Jackson in this order!"
"No, I'll go last." Cole says.
Nevaeh stares him for two seconds before giving up. She descends the cliff worryingly fast. Cromwell doesn't wait for his turn, but jams his grappling hook into ground and slides the wall down. He earns angry poke from Nevaeh the moment he gets down. Cole detaches the hook and throws it down for Cromwell to gather. Rest of the descending operation goes fast and without trouble.

You run as fast as you can without tiring yourself too much. By time you reach the branch where green team split from you to north water is covering the tunnel floor completely. The team stops holding themselves back and sprints forward at full speed. Nevaeh trips and falls over, but nobody stops to help her. You bastards! She will remember this! Either way, she stands up and continues as if nothing happened.

When you get out of the cave water level is already above your ankles, making running hard. Doctor Helios and Alex are waiting you at cave entrance. Ah, sweet natural light! It doesn't matter that it is dimmed by thick layer of clouds and downpour!

Everybody is very tired at this point, your legs are in fire. The second Nevaeh gets out of the brook... no, it's a rapids by now, she falls on her knees.

Time is now ~13:00.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Currently we have following samples on ship:
Spoiler: In freezer (click to show/hide)
* Red headed birds (2/3 alive) (Not studied)
* Flying bone plated snakes (1/3 alive) (Not studied)
* Rat? (1 alive) (Not studied)

Experiments in progress:
* Attack dog hybrid mutant, mark 3 (Puppy: -11)

Completed:
* Various vaccines.
* Werewolf
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 06, 2015, 11:18:21 am »

Return to base.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 06, 2015, 11:56:25 am »

"That...That was close. So much for the weather not mattering. But we probably found intelligent life! This is amazing! The moment we can, we need to get in there and check out... Whatever that was. But, let's get back for now.

All told, it went well, given my team's tendency to wind up hurting themselves."
Return to base.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 06, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »

The base? You got nice living space container here to spend time in. You can order taxi to bring you back to the ship but... this rain...

Also, Nevaeh stands up and limps slowly towards the living space container.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 06, 2015, 01:20:01 pm »

Apologize to Neveah and help her along to the outpost.

Cromwell flicked on the comms.
"Everyone out? Nobody still in there, right?"
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 06, 2015, 02:32:04 pm »

Run over and help Nevaeh to the base, when we get there try to administer some basic first aid.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #666 on: February 06, 2015, 04:18:16 pm »

Reward the puppers with puppy food. Who's a good pup? YOU'RE a good pup! Yes you are! Yes you are! :D

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:27 pm »

((I think I'm the mother and Haveroszaur is the father in this situation.))
Play with the puppies strait up.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 06, 2015, 05:58:54 pm »

Run over and help Nevaeh to the base, when we get there try to administer some basic first aid.
Help with this as needed. Go to the living container instead of the base, then.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 06, 2015, 11:42:10 pm »

"you keep looking I'll make sure noone goes comes in till you have the samples hidden" stand outside the door and stop anyone trying to enter telling them "We have crystals that when exposed to light explode in there I'll let you in when we have stored them safely."
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 06, 2015, 11:58:34 pm »

go back to the base. I want to study the rat without cutting it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:12:18 am by Yourmaster »
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 07, 2015, 03:06:54 am »

Meh. A container will do.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 07, 2015, 07:25:41 am »

Train them to follow these orders:
-Stop biting me.
-Bite him/her/it/*pronoun*.
-Sit.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 07, 2015, 12:00:22 pm »

Spoiler: SECRETS (click to show/hide)

Home team

Reward the puppers with puppy food. Who's a good pup? YOU'RE a good pup! Yes you are! Yes you are! :D

Behaviour is positively reinforced with mushed elephant kidneys. The half blind puppies trip over themselves as they scurry to eat.

((I think I'm the mother and Haveroszaur is the father in this situation.))
Play with the puppies strait up.

They love fetching and hide and seek. First generation puppies are actually pretty smart about it, cooperating with each other.

Train them to follow these orders:
-Stop biting me.
-Bite him/her/it/*pronoun*.
-Sit.

They already know first command as well as second one. Those puppies with worse eyesight learn "sit" command faster than others, probably being a little older helps.

Away team

Apologize to Neveah and help her along to the outpost.

Cromwell flicked on the comms.
"Everyone out? Nobody still in there, right?"

She slaps away your helping hand.

"I don't need help from kids!"

Help with this as needed. Go to the living container instead of the base, then.

Both doctors turn their attention to the only person who actually needs it. Nevaeh accepts help from Helios, but is not so thrilled about Pendle. Too young, as she puts it. Anyway, doctors assist her inside the outpost and into their professional corner in it.

She states her shin hurts, so doctors remove her shoe and inspect the leg. Looks like minor case of muscle strain. Helios applies auto-cooling compression bandage on her shin while Pendle instructs her to take easy for a day and preferrably rest in bed until tomorrow. She's not liking restrictions of her activity, but obeys what doctors say.

Only if all other patients were so understanding... Pendle finds himself thinking.

"you keep looking I'll make sure noone goes comes in till you have the samples hidden" stand outside the door and stop anyone trying to enter telling them "We have crystals that when exposed to light explode in there I'll let you in when we have stored them safely."

Erick stares you while you get out.

"Not exactly the kind of help I was hoping for, but it works!" He shouts after you.

You stand outside in rain. It's a little miserable... You stop Cole and Micah as they are trying to get in and inform them about the situation.

"So light is the trigger? That's easy enough to avoid." Cole says and steps right past you. You suppose he's smart enough to not do anything too stupid.

Few minutes later Erick comes out.

"We found a nice box for it." He says to you and pulls you to the outpost living space. "Let's rest and drink! We challenged flooding caves and are still alive!"

Meh. A container will do.

No point standing in rain so you get inside the outpost together with Cromwell. You pick a chair for yourself and flop on it. That was plenty of danger for today.

go back to the base. I want to study the rat without cutting it.

You order someone to come and pick you up. It takes about half hour before your ride arrives and another before you are back at the base.

And you get immediately back to work. Non-invasive studies performed on the rat reveals it is actually most mundane and earthlike animal you have seen so far on whole planet. If not counting for hundreds little hooks it has on its pawns that it can use to make climbing easier. And how its leg joints rotate almost completely around. Otherwise it is normal rodent. Could fool kids.

Oh, and it is starving. Nobody has given any food to it, nor to any other captured animals.

One hour later the team is rested and refreshed, and at least Erick is a little drunk. And maybe Mark too, there's no saying "no" to big friendly man with muscles like that. And his drinks are actually rather good. Cole and other geologists emerge from lab and take refreshments too.

"Well then, this was certainly most productive day on this planet. Basalt here didn't have enough iron to warrant mining operations, but the rubies we found might. But that's hardly relevant, right?" Cole laughs.

"The crystals green team found are quite interesting, they have very curious chemical composition. They convert oxygen and carbon dioxide to supply their growth, but also some other unknown chemical not present in our samples. Its waste product is some gas whose full properties are not yet known. Once most of this storm is over some chemists from mothership will drop by to get the sample for further studies.

I called to archeologists on mothership about the metal structure we found and I'm sure you can imagine their joy. It would have been waste their time if nothing was not found on this planet. Tomorrow we start and try to find faster route to the structure and then archeologists will start examining it. Will you, Bio 2 people, be around for that? I don't think there will be much professional interests in this area for you beyond animals in cave, but I assume alien artifact would invoke some personal interest."

((If anyone wants to get back to the base now, you can order taxi like Alex did. There will be ride back available on next day if study of alien artifact sounds interesting.))

Time is now ~14:30.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Currently we have following samples on ship:
Spoiler: In freezer (click to show/hide)
* Red headed birds (2/3 alive) (Not studied)
* Flying bone plated snakes (1/3 alive) (Not studied)
* Rat? (1 alive) (Studied)

Experiments in progress:
* Attack dog hybrid mutant, mark 3 (Puppy: -10)

Completed:
* Various vaccines.
* Werewolf
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:34:37 pm by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 07, 2015, 01:04:23 pm »

"I, for one, would LOVE to explore the alien artifacts; and besides, should things go south and some aliens end up dead, then I suppose the biologists would have something to work on then. Not that I'm hoping for that. But hey, I don't know if the archaeologists have their own doc, but if not, I'll gladly stand in. And god know that jackass Carlson wouldn't help with the "

As would likely surprise some, Jonathan actually was somewhat drunk at the moment; he just happened to let very little of it drip into his speech. Pendle let very little of anything drip into his speech.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 59