Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Dwarven Gauntlet  (Read 13075 times)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Gauntlet
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2014, 08:16:27 pm »

Aye, it was/is Finland.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 08:24:08 pm »

Aye, it was/is Finland.
Might I ask where you served? It was in artillery, wasn't it?
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2014, 08:41:03 am »

Aye, it was/is Finland.
Might I ask where you served? It was in artillery, wasn't it?
Nope, I was a jaeger. A term for basic infantry in Finland.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2014, 11:08:39 am »

Did you get a sweet hat? You should have gotten one in the jaeger kit.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2014, 11:33:10 am »

What about your cool name? All jaegers get cool names.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2014, 12:18:18 pm »

Hm... I know HabitRPG turned out to be a big ol' pile of gunk in the end, but since there are so many of us interested in getting a bit more in shape, what about Fitocracy? It's free, we could make a group to work together and challenge each other, and they even have level-ups and achievements and whatnot. I don't know much about it as I haven't actually used it, but I've heard really good things, and I know all those bells and whistles will definitely motivate me. Also, very easy to look at each other's progress without having to sift through the thread. And unlike Habit, it's not held together with chewing gum and rubber bands.

http://www.fitocracy.com

As for me, I suppose I should start getting some exercise again. These past couple months have been absolute hell and my stress levels are through the roof. I've also had to accept recently that due to past injuries and weak connective tissues, there is a long list of exercises I just can't do without injuring myself further. No push-ups or anything to do with the wrists (even "wrist strengthening" exercises like lemon squeezing caused terrible shooting pains that lasted for days), very little exercise involving knees (things like squats and lunges must be severely limited - even when I use proper form, the soreness in my knees lasts for days afterward), and very sadly, no running (I have vocal chord dysfunction, similar to asthma except it can't be treated with medication). So that leaves me with crunches/sit-ups (which I can do pretty well), planking (which I can do surprisingly well - I lasted over a minute my very first time), and... Oh. That appears to be it.

Any suggestions for other things I can do? I'm definitely not looking to get "fit," but I have gained a visible amount of weight over the past year, and it would be nice to not gain any more.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2014, 12:21:18 pm »

Cardio. Do you have access to an exercise bike or swimming pool?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2014, 12:26:32 pm »

I do not. Anyway, the vocal chord dysfunction prevents me from doing much cardio. Anything I have to breathe hard to do, I can't do very much of. My vocal chords clamp shut when I breathe hard, or if I'm stressed or exposed to allergens. Feels very similar to an asthma attack, except in my throat instead of my lungs.

I used to ride a bike a lot, but it's not safe to do so where I live now. Might be possible in the future, but certainly not during this winter.

Maybe I could do jumping jacks or something, maybe jump rope, and just stop when my throat gets tight. And I'll definitely do the planking. Any other strength training that isn't hard on the wrists or knees?

In case anyone else wants to try Fitocracy, my username there is Airova, by the way. I've decided to try it out. Feel free to friend me, and if we get a few people on, we'll make a group.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »

Most cardio uses one of those :/

Go into a plank, resting on you forearms.
Put one hand into push-up position.  Then the other.  Now take the first hand and put it back to plank.  Now the other.  Do that as fast as comfortable.  Good for strength, especially if you dont do regular push ups.

Doing enough of the OP exercises in quick rotation will bring your heart up.  Also try bicycle kicks or other leg movements.  Other than that, any strength exercise done in groups of 2 (i.e. do 1 set push ups then 1 set pull ups, repeat) will raise your heart rate.

These may be hard on the knees for you (idk), but mountain climbers are sure hard in general, and good for cardio.
http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/how-to-do-mountain-climbers/
Do three sets of 20 to start, and curse my name later.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2014, 01:40:35 pm »

I'm afraid I can't do either of those. Anything that puts pressure on my wrists (which means anything where I'm supporting my weight on my hands) is completely out of the question, as they're already deteriorating over time. Anything in the push-up position causes great big ouchies. I do the planking on my forearms, though, and that works pretty well. I guess that's probably the best exercise I can do, in addition to crunches. I do miss push-ups, though. I used to actually enjoy them. : /

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2014, 05:42:17 pm »

I bet it was Lutefisk Lager.

That's a good Finnish Jaeger name.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »

What about your cool name? All jaegers get cool names.
I bet it was Lutefisk Lager.

That's a good Finnish Jaeger name.
What is this I don't even
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2014, 12:12:30 am »

Did some exercises tonight
Jumping jacks, squats, push ups, sit ups repeat
More specifically 25 jumping jacks, 20 squats, 5 push ups (no upper arm strength at all), and 10 sit ups
Went through that twice and then the third and final 'set' I did
35 jumping jacks, 30 squats, 10 push ups, and 17 sit ups (I couldn't do anymore, I was aiming for 20 though)

I feel accomplished  :D
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2014, 12:34:28 am »

You will probably feel a little sore, too. Good on ya, now do it again in two days' time.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2014, 12:36:02 am »

You will probably feel a little sore, too. Good on ya, now do it again in two days' time.

I'm doing it tomorrow night

I'm going to try to do something along those lines (or running if I can) everyday
I know I can handle it, it's less than what we did in summer school gym
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7