Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: ASOIAF RPG-An End to Summer (Game Thread)  (Read 5907 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: ASOIAF RPG-An End to Summer (Game Thread)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 10:53:45 am »

Kyle looks around.
"Me? I don't mind anyone in a bar until they starting a fight. Though, I suppose you Squids know a lot about starting fights. So if you must do it outside. It'd be more trouble than it's worth for everyone to have me obligated to get involved."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 11:00:29 am »

Oh, we have no intention of causing trouble. We're just here to drink. Whatever happens, happens.

Talk to your fellow wolves-I can hear them growling and snapping at us. I'd hate if they took something like us being here all personal.
She says, smiling easily.

Who are you, anyway, Greenlander? I hear a bit of the high an' mighty in your voice, nice and cultured. Are you a Knight? A Lordlings son, maybe-no doubt, just here in this place to keep the peace, right?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 11:08:15 am »

Kyle snorts.
"I can't do nothin' about wolves growling. And yeah, I'm a lord's son, not that I care much for my father."
Kyle frowns as he thinks of his father.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 11:13:21 am »

Rilmad sidestepped to the right, swivelling around to face the direction where the noise had come from as he tried to duck into some foliage to keep himself hidden, wary of what could've caused the branch to snap so suddenly.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 11:22:19 am »

Kyle snorts.
"I can't do nothin' about wolves growling. And yeah, I'm a lord's son, not that I care much for my father."
Kyle frowns as he thinks of his father.

Aw, looks like I struck a soft spot...Well, Lordly Lord's Son, you've done your Lordly duty and if these foolish wolves want to get their snouts broken I suppose you had better let them, right? She mocks, turning back to her conversation with her crew.

Rilmad sidestepped to the right, swivelling around to face the direction where the noise had come from as he tried to duck into some foliage to keep himself hidden, wary of what could've caused the branch to snap so suddenly.

Strangely enough, the pale young woman you saw earlier rides into view a few moments later. She doesn't seem to see you, hidden in the brush.

"...He was just here, a moment ago..." She muses to herself, her hands on the gilded, polished hilt of what you assume is a dagger, sheathed on her slim waist.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 11:35:54 am »

"I'd love to see that."
Kyle mutters to himself before going to sit at the bar again... definently Arbor Gold tonight. Yes... that's just the thing to get his father out of his head.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 11:47:05 am »

Rilmad for the most part says silent, watching and listening. While sure, the hand on her dagger was suspicious, such a weapon would be nigh-useless from horseback. This left him rather perplexed at why he was being followed.

Instinct telling him to stay vigilant,  his eyes shifted over to the direction the lady had come from, feeling like something was going to come from there.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 12:25:30 pm »

The bowmen in your lines nock their arrows, waiting for a shouted signal, while the Wildlings seem to turn on one another and wheel in confusion, maybe looking for someone to speak for them. You hear a bit of muffled laughter in your lines-Frederich motions for his captains to enforce some semblance of order in this mummers farce of a battle.

Eventually, a man rides out, alone and armed with a spear-an oaken needle almost six feet long-and for once the Wildlings seem to straighten their lines and stand at attention. An old man, grey hair and grey eyes, but he looks strong and capable-wearing, among his furs, the stolen armor of a member of the nights watch-black metal chainmail.

William can guess what comes next.

"...You should go away. Kneelers are not welcome here. You think you own the lands, and the rivers, even the sky-but, no man owns the Godswood. We are safe here-the Old Gods protect us. You will go away now." He says, so his men can hear-a ragged wildling shout goes up. Interestingly, he speaks Westerosi fairly well, for a Wildling. William has a feeling this man may be more intelligent than he is letting on.

Frederich is just as eager as ever, though.

"Let me cut him down, my lord. That should give them a bit of a pause..."

William shoots a glance at the knight-general, giving a brief shake of his head.  He could wait.  Bloodlust had its place in battle, but this was not the time, even if the Camber Lord himself tightened the grip on his blade at the sight of the man's armor.

"I do not claim the Godswood."  His voice remains strong, strong enough for both his men and the wildlings to hear.  "But I have seen criminals and oathbreakers enough die beneath the branches of the weirwoods to know the gods would care little if the blood of raiders spilled upon their roots.  And you know as well as I that the gods will not protect you from us."

His voice lowers as he looks past the man, beyond the wildling line and into the woods where they had made their camp.  When he spoke, only Frederich and the wildling leader--such as he was--could hear the lord.  "So it is strange indeed when a raider knowingly drags his children to their deaths.  Why are you here?"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 12:27:59 pm »

"Worried? Well, one should test the waters before swimming, yes...how about I give you the grand tour, and tell you all about the family.

I'm sure you want to see the dragon."
He says, generously.

"Dragon?  I thought those were nothing but the boasts of ancient kings and an old wives tale.  Lead on!"
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 01:16:20 pm »

"I'd love to see that."
Kyle mutters to himself before going to sit at the bar again... definently Arbor Gold tonight. Yes... that's just the thing to get his father out of his head.

As you sit, you here the first of your drunken defenders rise from his table. No doubt, crockery will soon begin to fly.

"...Hey, no one talks to...the Lords Son like that! Especially no Squids!"

Sigh. You hoped for at least one mug...you're a bit disappointed he couldn't recall your name.

Rilmad for the most part says silent, watching and listening. While sure, the hand on her dagger was suspicious, such a weapon would be nigh-useless from horseback. This left him rather perplexed at why he was being followed.

Instinct telling him to stay vigilant,  his eyes shifted over to the direction the lady had come from, feeling like something was going to come from there.

Nothing does, though.

The Woman rides a bit past you, then pauses, seemingly casting about for your footprints. Peculiar.

When he spoke, only Frederich and the wildling leader--such as he was--could hear the lord.  "So it is strange indeed when a raider knowingly drags his children to their deaths.  Why are you here?"

The Wildling leader speaks to you in the same way. He seems more tired than blustering, when he's not preforming. What follows you don't really understand much of at all...he's sort of rambling.

"Better dead, then...well, you know. Well I'm supposing you don't. You will, though.

All that matters...there's a new King beyond the Wall. Only one king, see, Kneeler? I didn't care. Might have followed him. But, my brother said different. Well, he killed my brother. So, a bunch of us decided we'd try our luck South. The Mance wants us to go...North. But he can't stop Winter, no matter how hard he tries. So, it was dead there, or dead here. I'd rather my children die on blades, rather than...the cold. I hope you burn us, after we're dead. That's proper..."

He seems to be talking to himself. Then he turns to you, a lingering pain in his eyes.

"You know I'm not even the leader? They just chose me, right now. Go out-protect us, Ben. Make them go away, Ben. I know you can stop them, Ben. Your brother always protected us...

I'm not my brother, but I can do one last thing. Kneeler. The Free Folk don't bend knees, but we do follow those who are strong. Give me one last thing-single combat, me and you...or, one of your dogs. If I win, we'll finish this the old fashioned way, right? We'll be heroes."
He smiles, though it's a terrifying thing.

If you win, might be they'll bend to you-throw down their weapons. Some will fight, sure. Not all. Might be you could save some lives, mostly mine own. After that, well, Ben will be dead. What will I care? Might be better served you kill us all.

Like I said-we'd be burned, rather. Can you do that? I don't know. What do you decide, Kneeler Lord?"
He says, shrugging.

"Dragon?  I thought those were nothing but the boasts of ancient kings and an old wives tale.  Lead on!"

"That's about right."

Maynard proceeds to give you such as he offers of the family-he tells you of Lord Desmond, his three sons, and two daughters-the lines of the Camber family, and lesser offshoots of the Saltworths and Snows, and his own family, his son and daughter. You learn that the chef has twin identical sons, that Hal Highoak the guardsman has a nasty temper, Emmon Lannack the master at arms will gladly beat on you with weapon you choose to learn from him, and his own son Elded Camber will likely try to make you his wife.

"He hasn't had much luck, my son. I refuse to make for him a match-and he resents me for it, as he would if I did likewise. Still, I'd imagine you would be quite interesting to him...and, a great many Lords and Lords Sons. My dear, you're going to be quite popular here." He says, nothing you didn't already know.

At last, the pair of you enter the trophy hall.

Hang from the ceiling is the bones of the Ice Dragon killed umpteen hundreds of years ago by Darywn Stonehearth-you wouldn't have thought anything could be so large...or so fearsome. It must have been able to swallow a man on a horse whole when it was alive. Strangely, the bones don't seem like bones. They are a cold, dark blue-like Sapphires...with a shiny, metallic tinge.

"Impressive, yes? Don't be fooled-while most of it remains genuine, Stonehearths have been chipping off pieces of it to make daggers and blades for years...and the occasional bow of exceptional quality. We tend to replace what we can with ordinary steel, plaster, and the like. It's quite an undertaking, keeping history....historical."

He points to the friezes in bands across the walls. Elise notes that the depictions follow a rough progression-the ones at the furthest of the hall are undecorated weirwood panels, simple carvings displaying historical acts of eons gone by. As they progress, they become larger, more intricate, and more inlaid with precious metals and gems. The latest one depicts who assume is Lord Desmond Stonehearth and his wife, standing astride his children-a panel of each face in profile has been added, as they were born, and updated as time went by.

"...I suppose I could tell you all about our families history, if you wanted. Might I direct over there-the scowling men tossing down their spears? Dates to when the Last King of North bent his knee to Aegon the Conqueror, almost three hundred years ago. They weren't too happy about it, apparently...

And there, you can see where our the Camber's swore loyalty to Stonehearth. You'll note the bodies around the edges. It was not a pleasant passage of power.

And, the one on the end...well, it's like a magic image. Everyone sees something different. I have no guess, and frankly I quite disturbing. What do you think, dear?"
he asks, leading you to the end of the hall, in the shadows.

Well, it's hard to make out anything-the image is old, of stone-not of weirwood. As if the creators wanted it to last a long time. The final (first?) frieze depicts what looks like a group of raggedy men, standing in a group, staring out at the viewer in a disturbing synch. They seem...odd. Many of them bear horrific wounds in stark detail, but none of this is shown in their expressions-where expressions can be made out, they are mostly blank. The most disturbing detail is the lack of eyes. There are only empty triangular slots where in theory some sort of gems must have been placed, to give a touch of color. Taken all in, it leaves one with a profound sense of uneasiness-the forward scene, it's like watching a parade of corpses.

"...Our Septon Hullen says they are an artists depiction of the damned suffering in the Nine Hells. I wonder. We can't date such things, but the Seven have only in a recent sense come to the North...still, what else could it be?

I've heard that there were once sapphires in place of their eyes, but the Ironmen prized then all out when they held the castle-briefly, a very long time ago..."

((Done!))
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:41:16 pm by Dwarmin »

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 02:27:45 pm »

There was a long silence after the wildling finished speaking, as the mountain lord stared at him, trying to take it all in and make sense of it.  A new king beyond the wall, that was plain enough.  Most likely the Watch already knew, but a raven would have to be sent nonetheless.  Rambling about winter, and the cold.  He didn't know why this... Mance... wanted to go further north, rather than attack the Wall as his ilk often did.  He'd have to tell them that, as well.  As for winter, and the cold...

It had been a long summer, but the Starks were always right in the end.  Winter always comes, and all the Northmen knew that a summer that lasted years could well beget a winter that lasted decades.  It'd be a cold one, and he couldn't blame the wildlings for fearing it.

"Seven years ago, I might have fought you myself."  His voice is cool, but there's a hint of regret in it as he glances down at his hand.  Seven years ago, he was near as talented a swordsman as he was a commander, but his injuries put an end to that.  His maester said, even now, that he was recovering some of his old strength.  But it had been years, and he grew only older, and he knew he would never regain his full skill again.  "As fine a way as any to win a battle if your sword is sharp and arm is quick.  Perhaps mine still is, enough to best you."

He shrugs, looking to his Knight-General and inclining his head.  "Nevertheless, the times have changed, and men grow into different roles. Fight him, Ser Frederich.  If his death forces some to surrender, then let him die and be burned."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 02:37:12 pm »

Kyle sits there for a few moments wondering if he can just ignore it. He sighs and turns to at least look at the man who's messing up his night. He looks back to the barkeep.
"Do you have Arbor Gold?"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 04:04:59 pm »

"Well I'm sure your son will be a gentleman.  There are others who were interested in the past but none of the interest held.  Father and mother chased off the fools and adventurers among them easily enough.  But there were men of good grooming who perhaps expected a lady of surpassing grace and beauty to go with the name and the story.  I dont wish to be cold in saying this, merely wise.  I never have shared in my mothers impulsive ways.  And who knows what plans Lord Desmond may have?"  Elise speaks in a tone not of cynicism per say but one lacking strong emotion.  Maynard doesn't hear excitement or hostility in her voice towards marriage but the same calculating tone one might use while negotiating for the price of a sack of grain.

The account of the chipping away at the skeleton is troubling to Elise.  "I had no idea this morning that wonders like this were in the world but even in a place like this it seems the nature of man is the same.  My family also chipped away at our gifts from the past, trading away lands and glory bit by bit.  I hope you have not taken very much."

Elise casts an appreciative eye on the wall images.  She doesn't have the fine eye to appraise art or date it but she does have enough experience to appreciate great pieces.  And she may not have knowledge of the history but she can at least put a flattering spin on it.
"Well the north may have knelt but it was never conquered.  We have a good king these days and Northmen are just as free now as they were before the conquest.  Surely you must feel pride in that."
Elise moves along the history, a faint sense of pride.  She had spent so long the outcast, living at the mercy of others.  Now she traveled here and she was a part of something.
"It's glorious, such a long unbroken history.  After so many centuries the house still stands so strong.  House Horn was among the oldest houses of the south but the world barely noted our disappearance."

And she follows Maynard to the last image which was, as he said, strange.  Unnerving even.  It clearly did not belong here.  "I have seen in the great septs of Kings Landing and I have never seen anything like this in the worship of the Seven.  Even the stranger would not want something like this.  It feels foreign.  It feels even more foreign then anything in the North." She turns away shaking her head, vaguely displeased to cast eyes upon the piece.  "I can't see why something like that belongs here.  The defaced eyes alone would mean no southern lord would accept it in his hall.  Hm..." Elise contemplates for a moment before offering up curious tale to her guide.
"It does put me in mind of a certain... rumor... There was a lord in the south once who coveted an old family heirloom of his neighbor.  He had no right to it but then King Robert started the war to overthrow the usurper and might made right.  His fellow lord was labeled a rebel and was killed with many of his men and his family treasures taken as plunder by the greedy neighbor.  The dead lord's son knew that he was lacked the men to fight for revenge but showed himself to be cunning.  He employed a band of criminals at great price who stole back his family treasury, and many of his adversaries old treasures as well.  These he hid away until the fighting had passed.  For Robert in his greatness forgave his enemies but he would hardly return them stolen property.  So when things were calm the young lord revealed the treasure of both houses and claimed it was his own, hidden from the looting and the greedy one could not say otherwise without labeling himself a brigand.  The young lord was respected for being a cunning adversary, not defeated easily while his enemy was feared but laughed at all the same.
"I have heard much of these men of Iron when I lived in the Reach.  And I can't help thinking that for all this time they lack the wisdom of that boy.  Don't you agree?  Of course I imagine these gems they stole have been lost for centuries by now."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:14:33 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 07:56:05 pm »

BENJICOT Desmond gratefully surrenders his seat, and Benjicot takes his place.

The young Benjicot is quickly reminded that Lordship isn't all about battles and wooing Noblewomen out of their skirts. Very likely the lesson he father intended him to learn.

"My Lord, I demand restitution!" Says the Crofter, a scraggly Shieldlands farmer with wild red hair. He has a very loud voice.

"With no disrespect to your Lordship, I mean-a band of...er, young Nobles trampled through my land chasing a boar this morning, or they said they were chasing a boar. They smashed my grain into the mud, killed four chickens, and broke my fence. They scared my daughter! She's still hiding in the barnloft, my lord-a sweet thing, hardly nine and ten.

...must have thought they were the bloody cavalry....I saw badges from many different houses of the North, mi'lord, but none from ours. I am here today hoping for a measure of justice, for smallfolk."

Bejicot guesses the mans losses come out to about two silver stags-maye three or four, if one is being generous. He supposes it's a bit troubling other Lords are riding roughshod over your lands without your fathers leave. Don't they know there's a war going on?

Benjicot frowned and leaned forward on the throne. His first reaction was to feel insulted over the lordlings' actions, but he tried to restrain himself and think the situation over. He was no fool. This could be more serious than the petty quarrels and peasant's disputes the lord was usually called upon to settle. Doing anything rash with other houses involved could have consequences beyond any he could think of right here and now, and he did not want to disappoint his father or bring trouble down upon his house the very first thing he did.

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat and looked back up. The farmer was waiting for him to answer. The matter of compensation at least were a little more straightforward. He cleared his throat, made an attempt to look lordly and spoke up. "I am sorry for the misfortunes of you and yours. While I can not undo the damage done to your property, on the behalf of our lord I can at least replace your animals - the steward will award you three silver stags to this end and aid the rebuilding of your household". He paused for a moment. "We will attempt seek recompense from those responsible. Before you leave you shall describe the arms of these noblemen."

Benjicot paused again and looked at his hands. There still was the matter of the indignity of having their borders intruded on. He didn't want to start anything, but a lack of a reaction could make them seem weak. He couldn't call on his father for advise either - even if he wasn't an experienced ruler, he was still a grown man. He was supposed to be able to make these calls. He hesitated, but if he didn't act now... He had to follow his gut. He turned to one of his retainers nearby. "Go the master-at-arms and tell him to make two reliable riders ready. The man here will tell you in what direction the hunting party was headed and you will attempt to intercept them. Be courtious but remind they have mistakenly traversed outside their land, and make note of their badges and the name of their leader. And if they refuse to leave, do not escalate the situation. Just return here and inform me."

He immediately felt relief having made a decision, even if he still wasn't sure it was the right one. Now he only had to see it through.
Love, scriver~

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 09:46:05 pm »

Rilmad merely readies his crossbow, very much unsure on what the noblewoman was planning...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4