Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: !!Feng Dwarfy!!  (Read 19788 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: !!Feng Dwarfy!!
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2015, 08:32:11 pm »

156 (roof)

155 (ground, trade depot, refuse stockpiles, magma crab pit)

150 (workshop, stockpiles, silk farm)

149 (living area, grave yard, traps)

big pit, nothing to look
|
|
|
|
|

123 (a mining site)

102 (tree farm #2)

100 (cavern/tree farm #1)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:35:22 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2015, 07:20:49 am »

Just tried twbt fog effect today.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2015, 10:22:42 am »

I was going to call this the Temple of (Deity), but then I discovered that none of my soldiers are religious.

It's acquiring some nice bloodstains near the stairwell. The whole thing is the result of mining out a magnetite cluster.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2015, 10:53:52 am »

The Temple of Atheism, where no god rules but the Dwarf.

*Sheds tear of joy*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2015, 11:10:37 am »

The Temple of Atheism, where no god rules but the Dwarf.

*Sheds tear of joy*

The child of one of my soldiers is religious, as are the marksdwarves.

Also atheism == war god? ???

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2015, 12:52:34 pm »

A-theism
A-res.

Get with the times.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2015, 09:08:36 pm »

New (mostly) above ground fortress.

+1

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2015, 11:01:52 pm »

In most fortresses I've seen, Bedrooms are always laid out symmetrically. But I like to mix it up a bit. and make everything kinda random.

In my last fort, I hollowed out a 5 z-level cavern pillar and filled it with bedrooms. I think it looks neat, but I should have put in some windows to let the dwarves look into the cave.

I also like to do something similar for catacombs.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:40:25 pm by xub313 »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2015, 11:19:27 pm »

In my last fort, I hollowed out a 5 z-level cavern pillar and filled it with bedrooms. I think it looks neat, but I should have put in some windows to let the dwarves look into the cave.

My first fort had really wonky geography, thanks to a mostly flat joyous wild savanna (40d, so there were lots of unicorns that played merrily with the fire imps at the volcano.  Grassfires 24/7.)  And then near-vertical cliffs at the mountain biome.  Because one tile of the mountain was connected to the rest of the mountain biome diagonally, it had this single stalagmite-like spire of andesite (and occasional microcline) sticking up.  After carving off the ramps on the outside, I did just as you said, and made my noble quarters going through the stalagmite.  The mayor's office was at the top (it was also smaller, so the higher-ranking nobles had larger rooms below) with windows and a balcony, and the other mayor rooms (then the duke's rooms) were stacked below.  Lower in the stalagmite, Dungeon Master and Tax Collector shared a floor.  Top floor was a party plaza/vomitorium. 

All of the room layout was to fill up every possible tile of the natural topography of the stalagmite mountain, making it all very irregularly-shaped. 

(General housing was below, and was my general hex-pod multi-floor housing.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2015, 09:48:59 am »

Well, I thought I'd show you a little something I've made in my current fort, and though it's only one Z-level, I still think it's artistic enough for posting's sake.

Behold, the noble hand-grenade!  (No points for what I referenced.)

Left rooms (in gold) for the baron, the Captain of the guard gets the green glass areas, the Mayor gets the wooden furniture, and for the monarch, that part on the right with all the platinum furniture (and artifact iron bed).

I dare say I made some good use of my precious metals and glass for the nobles when they do come about.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2015, 02:57:49 am »

Two of my soldiers turned into were-gophers, so I built them a were-barracks and kept training them there. Eventually we came under siege by undead goblin zombies, so I sent them out, naked, in wereform, with a battleaxe each. They managed to kill ten zombies before dying, so I decided to build them a tomb:

The i's are captured fire imps in cages, to give the eyes a red glow like the werebeasts had.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2015, 10:35:40 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like this. The fact that the eyes are made with i's appeals to me.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2015, 02:18:50 am »

I have a tendency to have ... semi-symmetrical, vertical designs. I used to have FPS issues, so I got into the habit of making QSPs. I've been experimenting with different layouts based around them. I end up with oddities like food not getting a QSP or a hospital shoved in the middle because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I also tend to branch bedrooms off from a central gathering area, which is invariably some kind of spiral or flowery thing. The bedrooms in this fort are pretty boring though. Kinda regretting it now.  :P

I really like when I get a floor with several different colored rocks/ores running through it that I can dig into. I enjoy the multicolored walls/floors, haha.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2015, 12:53:18 pm »

Here's my latest project.

A panopticon keep design. (Semi-finished)

Base of Keep (Finished)

3 Lane access for caravans.

View of the upper floor/ panopticon tower.

The upper floors are unfinished as you can see, but the plan is to mount an archery tower right here, which will enable archers to pick their targets from the upper floors at ease with minimum movement. An ammo dump at a lower level will ensure minimal reload times.

How does it work? Here is a simple analogy, imagine shooting fish in a giant stone barrel.

The long straight lanes increase time needed to get to the central tower, allowing for a buffer in response time to get your military in position or to seal yourself off if necessary. The straight lines also ensure that ballistas can fire for maximum damage if you want to position ballistas on the lower levels, as compared to a circular onion like design. But only in the North South East West axis.

The floored areas outside are 4 tiles wide to ensure tree growth does not extend to the outer rim of the tower.

The leftmost bridge on the outer walls can be lowered to allow a shortcut access for builders and traders, and the rightmost bridge gives access to the longer, more painful route for sieges and megabeasts.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:55:57 pm by Zuglarkun »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2015, 07:37:31 am »

Key points in traditional Feng Shui:

1.  Never, ever, ever, break the earth: foundations are built up, never down, and never digging in.

Huh. Where I grew up, a stable foundation required digging below the frost-line, since otherwise the frost-heaves every spring would wreck havoc with whatever you built on the surface. A rule to never put in a basement makes me envision a lot of slanted floors and cracked foundations.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8