Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Unusual Habits While Gaming  (Read 14445 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Habits While Gaming
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 02:49:08 am »

In-game or IRL, do you have any unusual things that you tend to do while you're playing?
In first-person camera games, when in times of danger or in a heavy firefight (or in terms of exploration, in a dangerous situation or a very serene and beautiful location), I tilt my head upwards or to anywhich direction to 'lean' and 'see' from there. xD (ie Played Call of Duty because it was the only game present on the computer in the PC shop {also due to story curiosity}; hardest difficulty, and running around a corner after being suitably hurt...since I don't know if there's any default 'lean' key, I 'lean' with my mouse sloooowly to peak out whilst wounded...)
Noticed it quite-a-ways ago, given that I play every first-person game on the highest difficulty. It's more of a very situational thing, but it amuses me when it does happen.

Immersion.

Also on another note, I tend to predict movement paths or projectile motion when observing flight craft (still: first person perspective).

I also admire the scenery a lot when my graphics permits. It's unusual because I...err, don't hear many other people do that. (ie In Crysis--I'm admiring the plants while I'm cloaked :v as a rather extreme example, but really.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:51:45 am by Tiruin »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 03:13:43 am »

I tend to like to nibble on things well I game~
This sooooo much... If it ain't food, its fingernails, toothpicks, random bits of plastic I have on my desk. It just subconsciously reaches my mouth somehow...
I suppose I do this too, though the habit isn't limited to gaming.
It isn't limited to gaming for me either.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 03:41:37 am »

I can't play video games with anybody else in the room. My brain immediately NOPES and I have to pause the game and do something else until they leave. Doesn't matter what game or what the other person is doing. It's gotten better in recent years but I still have the impulse.

Also, for some reason I have less drive to finish PC games than console games. I've beaten just about every console game I own, but only a couple PC games. It even counts emulation; I never finished Perfect Dark or Ocarina of Time until I played them on a real N64.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 05:16:00 am »

I can't play video games with anybody else in the room. My brain immediately NOPES and I have to pause the game and do something else until they leave. Doesn't matter what game or what the other person is doing. It's gotten better in recent years but I still have the impulse.

Also, for some reason I have less drive to finish PC games than console games. I've beaten just about every console game I own, but only a couple PC games. It even counts emulation; I never finished Perfect Dark or Ocarina of Time until I played them on a real N64.
Is it something to do with having the physical copy there and the more laid-back playstyle?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 05:31:54 am »

Maybe. Also, a console only really plays games; if I'm on a computer, I can close the game and go right in to YouTube or something. Distractions in distractions. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 10:38:28 am »

Heh, I have a similar problem.  If I notice somebody staring at my screen I just start playing terrible.  Its like I can't concentrate if I know somebody is looking. 

Funny enough, that applies to working as well.  If somebody asks me to do something and then proceeds to stare at my screen until its done, my brain turns into mush and they just see me helplessly click on random things on my desktop.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 11:14:07 am »

Well, first off, when playing Paradox Interactive games(Victoria, Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, etc.) I'll just start vocalizing what I'm doing. Not loud enough to bug anyone, but sometimes I'll end up vocalizing my frustration on not having any heirs or how these damn swadians won't just die.

I'll also, mentally, make up some story in my head that has no consistency with the actual story if there is one.

Heh, I have a similar problem.  If I notice somebody staring at my screen I just start playing terrible.  Its like I can't concentrate if I know somebody is looking. 

Funny enough, that applies to working as well.  If somebody asks me to do something and then proceeds to stare at my screen until its done, my brain turns into mush and they just see me helplessly click on random things on my desktop.   :P

Heh. Same here.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 11:29:12 am »

If somebody is staring at the screen, I play differently. It's almost like I try to show off, entertain them, or demonstrate how awesome the game is. Then I die after taking unnecessary risks.

Also I can't write if someone is watching me. My handwriting is already shitty but I start writing horribly or make a lot of mistakes. For example, I make the lower-case "L" to small, I return back to the letter and try to fix it by making it longer but it goes off the line this time, screwing up the word above that. I erase it and try to rewrite it but I accidentally write in a completely random letter. I erase it again and end up accidentally erasing the whole word. The ordeal keeps going until nobody is staring at my paper.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2014, 02:21:32 pm »

I used to play a lot of games that weren't age appropriate for me when I was younger, I would always tab out or even completely turn off the computer when my parents came downstairs when I was younger. Even though that's been a long time whenever I play a game like that I get the impulse to tab or at least pause the game when one of my parents comes around.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2014, 02:27:34 pm »

I used to play a lot of games that weren't age appropriate for me when I was younger, I would always tab out or even completely turn off the computer when my parents came downstairs when I was younger. Even though that's been a long time whenever I play a game like that I get the impulse to tab or at least pause the game when one of my parents comes around.
I feel incredibly embarrased whenever anyone asks me about what game I'm playing. Often it's a struggle to even say the actual name of the game instead of just "oh you know, a game". And like, if there's anything even slightly riske and someone is in the room, I'm constantly glancing to see if they notice, even though most people don't give a f---. This includes my wife, much to her ire.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2014, 03:26:14 pm »

In-game or IRL, do you have any unusual things that you tend to do while you're playing?
In first-person camera games, when in times of danger or in a heavy firefight (or in terms of exploration, in a dangerous situation or a very serene and beautiful location), I tilt my head upwards or to anywhich direction to 'lean' and 'see' from there. xD (ie Played Call of Duty because it was the only game present on the computer in the PC shop {also due to story curiosity}; hardest difficulty, and running around a corner after being suitably hurt...since I don't know if there's any default 'lean' key, I 'lean' with my mouse sloooowly to peak out whilst wounded...)
Noticed it quite-a-ways ago, given that I play every first-person game on the highest difficulty. It's more of a very situational thing, but it amuses me when it does happen.

Immersion.

Also on another note, I tend to predict movement paths or projectile motion when observing flight craft (still: first person perspective).

I also admire the scenery a lot when my graphics permits. It's unusual because I...err, don't hear many other people do that. (ie In Crysis--I'm admiring the plants while I'm cloaked :v as a rather extreme example, but really.)
After another playthrough of Quake after eons of having played it last, I began appreciating the scenery more (taking my time between enemy clusters, or replenishing health and ammo after clearing out the level; and optionally secret-hunting); since previous times I played, it was generally just a frag-fest for me. Some levels just downright remind me of DF nowadays. I mean, The Ebon Castle (basically, an obsidian castle) and The Wizard's Manse (trap-riddled maze) were levels that just kept reminding me of DF as I play through them. All the tricks and traps placed, and hordes of undead and such to gib so I can progress. And since I was also playing on Hard Difficulty, it was all kinds of fun and ‼fun‼.

My old quicksave habits have returned again. Not as much to survive, but more to prevent stupid mistakes, like accidentally replenishing 1 ammo with a 40-gain box. Instead of quicksaving before a horde marathon or after killing 1 shambler (seeing as I can mop the floor with them using basic weapons (shotgun or nailgun; nailguns have higher DPS and accuracy, but uncommon ammo chance) now; Lightning Gun and rocket launcher just seem either too easy, or too dangerous (splash damage). The LG is more for sniping with tons of damage output.). Just as well, I have old saves of my favorite moments (Like battling Cthon at the end of Episode 1; he was fun to run&dodge, and fry with a tesla coil), rather than saves every few moments.

An old habit that has gone to the backburner nowadays is going OCD with the final stats. I used to always 100% all stats (kills/items/secrets).  Nowadays, I cut my losses, and move on, or if I know the inevitable, then I don't even bother/worry. Only major secret that matters is the path to the secret levels (like the Well of Wishes in E2L3). I'll even bypass a red armor before a major battle the entire level. So basically, I'm depending more on my nerve and skills, than armor and ammo loadouts. Speaking of which, I'm still ammo-conservative as hell. Always keep full, or enough used up that an ammo pickup won't be a waste.

Kinda like if in some alternate universe, after destroying hell, I want to turn a profit from my bounties and adventures, and selling my excess ammo/weapons reserves, and maybe sell some elder god corpses for food. Hell, if there's a fleshy environment, then I'd backtrack to it, and harvest some wall-meat and such to sell to people. I mean, let's not have all this potential food go to waste.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:48:26 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2014, 03:49:25 pm »

Whenever I have to wiggle joysticks or something, I wiggle my tongue/teeth in my mouth as well. Or really any fast repetitive movement I move a related body part. I used to physically jump/run playing gamecube games, but I've mostly stopped that now.

Also saving at least twice every time I need to save...
And not using healing items if they heal more then I am injured, even if by one damage point. And never using consumables until I have a max stack, which made games like monster hunter a bit difficult.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:53:06 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2014, 03:52:20 pm »

Also saving at least twice every time I need to save...

Ug, you guys are making me realize more and more about my bad habits.  I do that one too.  Sometimes three times if I'm late in the game.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2014, 03:54:39 pm »

I actually do that all the time. Even in games like wind waker...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2014, 03:55:57 pm »

Also, in games with jumping, I jump constantly.

+1 to jumping, to the point where any FPS without jumping makes me sad because I can't constantly jump.*space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space*

Oh god jumping. I can't name a game where I don't have this nagging habit to jump everywhere- if it lets you jump, that's how I travel.
I also jump a lot in FPS games. Usually when I'm doing something mundane like walking, I'll jump constantly. Or if I'm using explosive weapons like rockets, I'll jump and shoot down at my targets. It's become natural for me to jump and shoot rockets at the same time.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9