Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Unusual Habits While Gaming  (Read 14419 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Unusual Habits While Gaming
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2014, 10:55:57 am »

I will sit and calculate risk/reward and battle outcomes before committing to anything. In consequence, I hate RTSs with variable damage or a miss chance (I'm looking at you, Warcraft) and usually know every stat of every unit including accurate estimates of training speed and price for purposes of army size guessing, as well as some of the hidden stats - bonus damage, animation delay, exact movement speed. Age of Empires taught me history, and it constantly teaches me maths.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2014, 11:12:48 am »

Donkey Kong 64? Oh god. I tried replaying that, I got to the desert level (that's the second world!) before I decided it was just too tedious.

That's the second level.

There are 8 total.

And 5 characters.

Each character has 5 golden bananas per level (including the hub world).

Each level also has 2 fairies.

And 100 bananas for each character (though you only need about 80 of them).

And a blueprint per character.

"Tedious" by the second level? You've only unlocked 2 characters by now. You're not even close to the tedious part.

Think of the plus point: It was an amazing amount of stuff for something at the time. Probably.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2014, 11:39:20 am »

Donkey Kong 64? Oh god. I tried replaying that, I got to the desert level (that's the second world!) before I decided it was just too tedious.

That's the second level.

There are 8 total.

And 5 characters.

Each character has 5 golden bananas per level (including the hub world).

Each level also has 2 fairies.

And 100 bananas for each character (though you only need about 80 of them).

And a blueprint per character.

"Tedious" by the second level? You've only unlocked 2 characters by now. You're not even close to the tedious part.

Think of the plus point: It was an amazing amount of stuff for something at the time. Probably.
I can verify this. When it came out is was a spectacular amount of gubbins to gub. Fond memories of that game!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2014, 01:07:53 pm »

The first thing I always do when I start a game for the first time is open the options, and look at everything, and fiddling with the graphics options, I always remap a bunch of the keys to make things easier or more comfortable. I get annoyed if I can't remap keys (LOOKING AT YOU ROBOCRAFT).

I always remap forward/backward to s/x, freeing the entire qwer row for abilities (or leaning, but few games have leaning). In the Witcher 2, for instance, I mapped each sign, in order, to one of qwert (so they cast when I press that key, rather than having to be selected and then cast with another button). I remapped throwing/planting (bombs, knives, traps) to the middle-mouse button, and blocking to a button on the side of my mouse.

If there's an interact/use/get-in-vehicle key and it isn't sharing with another function (like in the Arkham games and the Witcher 2), which usually defaults to e, I always remap it to c. I usually try to remap inventory to v (Witcher 2 didn't let me, unfortunately).

I remapped EVERYTHING in the console version of Injustice: Gods Among Us. I couldn't do combos fast enough when they were x/y/a/b, so I changed the attack buttons to the shoulder buttons and left trigger (and the power to right trigger), and moved all the other things to x/y/a/b, with the super move that you can do when your meter is full set to x+a, so I can just push both easily with my thumb to do it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2014, 01:14:19 pm »

I remapped EVERYTHING in the console version of Injustice: Gods Among Us

I never QUITE understood the reasoning behind its current mapping.

I understand that it is a console port so I needed to keep some of the aspects if they didn't want to just make it mouse compatible.

Yet why the sideways right hand?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »

I've only played the 360 version, so I don't know what the PC version's mapping is, unfortunately.

Edit: Although I do imagine it would be easier to execute combos on a keyboard.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2014, 01:55:35 pm »

I've only played the 360 version, so I don't know what the PC version's mapping is, unfortunately.

Edit: Although I do imagine it would be easier to execute combos on a keyboard.

Well... G is to accept, J is to cancel.

wasd for movement.

GTU for Light, Medium, and Strong attacks...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2014, 02:16:27 pm »

Updating controls is always a decent habit though. Like for setting up games like Descent.

I have a mapping of AD for strafing horizontally, WS for fwd/bkwd, shift for strafe (keypad now strafes, for vert strafes), QE for rolling, ↑↓←→ (Keypad, however; with 7 & 9 as roll, and 5 for mines) for turning and forward/backward movement, Enter for primary fire, and space for secondary fire, F is still flare, and weapon keys are the same. WSAD helps if I team it up with the mouselook, however; but the keypad helps for more nimble movements. So mouselook (L=Primary M=Mines R=Secondary) for combat, and keypad for naviagtion.

Made navigating those mazes much easier and intuitive, and where it really shines is exiting levels and dodging other robots' attacks, like homing missiles and such, or a constant barrage of enemy fire if you're surrounded. In some cases, it was like playing Touhou in 3D, I had to dodge so much; and via keyboard, doesn't make things any easier, unless you have the right setup.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:23:48 pm by Itnetlolor »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2014, 05:32:30 pm »

I guess spinning. Pretty much any time I'm gonna let go of the mouse to do something while playing most games Ill nudge it a bit so my character does super fast spinning action.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2014, 12:09:47 am »

Anyone else here play shooters and suffer from "fire one bullet - reload" syndrome?

I know I do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2014, 12:14:48 am »

Anyone else here play shooters and suffer from "fire one bullet - reload" syndrome?

I know I do.

Boarderlands 2 and presequel have weapons made by Tediore.

Now their theme is that their weapons are incredibly cheap disposable weapons. When you equip one you are in fact carrying a near endless supply.

To simulate this when you reload you will throw your weapon and it will explode like a grenade or on contact with an enemy... Yet unlike other weapons when you throw it uses the rest of the ammo in the chamber and applies it to the throwing damage.

Making it one of the most powerful series of weapons in the game...

Yet I have OCD to reload meaning that Tediore weapons drain my bullets rather quickly.

I don't use Tediore weapons if I can help it.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2014, 12:15:34 am »

I know I do.
If it is something with basically free unlimited ammo, yes. Otherwise, I don't reload until I run out fully.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2014, 12:15:48 am »

I know I do.
I grew up with games where you have guns that don't require reloading. Never thought a pistol can fire so many shots without reloading the clip or chamber. Similar could be said about shotguns.

However, I do suffer from "limited ammo supply" syndrome, which isn't too bad I guess. It makes me really conservative/efficient on my ammo and health/armor supply (forces me to make all my shots count, even when pistol or shotgun sniping); sometimes even powerups (invincibility/invisibility/quad-damage). Just as long as I don't make the mistake of getting the pickup prematurely, or miscalculating what I expect, thereby wasting the powerup.

In reload games that also provide melee (like Halo and Borderlands), I'll fire until reload, and then beat the crap out of my target with the gun itself as my melee weapon. Many an elite fell to a full/remainder clip and a bludgeon to the head (even on Legendary difficulty). The grunts had every right to run away from me. I even do this in Delta Force. Clear out a room, before reload (or just spend a single (up to 3, tops) magazine clearing the entire base with semi-auto. Yes, I'm that efficient.), whip out a knife, and silent-kill a few terrorists down the hall. I go Rambo with it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:35:54 am by Itnetlolor »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2014, 12:17:04 am »

I know I do.
._.
* Tiruin raises her hand.

And be efficient too. Saving ammunition until when it is needed.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2014, 12:57:33 am »

Speaking of guns, on the rare occasion I play an FPS I'll go as far as possible using only the default starting weapon, usually by virtue of scoring headshots against nearly every enemy. The pistol is eventually rendered entirely useless, and only then do I switch to the alternatives.

On the plus side, I have a ton of ammo for those guns by the time I get there.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9