Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57

Author Topic: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Game Over! Town, Town-Ally, and Survivor Victory!  (Read 110280 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Fakeouts, anyone?
« Reply #255 on: January 01, 2015, 12:00:50 am »

You're still omitting the truth for your own gain, and in a situation where town never lied, that answer would make you seem scummy as well.

Not broadcasting your role to everyone in the game isn't scummy.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 01, 2015, 12:03:28 am »

Omitting the truth isn't generally considered to be lying in mafia. Contradicting the truth is.
Saying "I don't want to answer the question at this time" is perfectly acceptable, both in court and in mafia.

Saying something that is false, though, is not.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 01, 2015, 03:49:04 am »

You're still omitting the truth for your own gain, and in a situation where town never lied, that answer would make you seem scummy as well.

Not broadcasting your role to everyone in the game isn't scummy.
We're not talking about broadcasting your role. We're talking about someone asking you your role. If:
1, Town never lie, so you'd have no reason to withhold information if you're on the town's side if you don't have a power role and
2, you refuse to answer the question, then you look like scum to the town for refusing to answer the question and the scum know you have a power role, so you either get lynched or night killed. Town shouldn't lie or withhold information up to a point, but taking it to extremes is stupid.

Your response also seems kind of weird to me. I quoted Deathsword's scenario, so you know I wasn't saying that it's scummy to not tell everyone your role for no reason. Why are you acting as though that's what I did?

flabort, as above. Let's say it's day two, you're a vig and I ask you what your role is. Do you tell me, do you say you're vanilla town or do you say you're not going to answer? Which of those options is not going to tell the scum that they want you dead?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 01, 2015, 04:14:09 am »

1, Town never lie, so you'd have no reason to withhold information if you're on the town's side if you don't have a power role and

Not everyone here is town. So #1 is false.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 01, 2015, 04:48:52 am »

Not everyone here is town. So #1 is false.
Which part of number one is false? That you have no reason to withhold information if you're town? Because that's exactly what I'm trying to show there, as well as the fact that refusing to answer a question is a great way to make you look scummy and paint a NK target on your back in one swoop.

Or was the lie that you're a townie? Because I'm starting to think the same thing, Caz.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 01, 2015, 05:19:57 am »

Which part of number one is false? That you have no reason to withhold information if you're town?

Yes.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 01, 2015, 05:33:51 am »

I would sincerely appreciate it if you'd stop trying to quote mine me. You're acting as though you're proving me wrong when my argument was based around that statement being false in the first place. I believe it's called proof by contradiction.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 01, 2015, 05:50:05 am »

Indeed that is called Proof my Contradiction. In fact, I used it already to show that Scripten is not town (well, in that context, anyways).

Also, did I miss it, or did Scripten say "I guess I should shoot after all"? Implying he's an actual vigilante? Why not SHOOT someone, then, if you want to? (No, this isn't contradicting what I've said before: We're already nearly a day end again, and you've not killed anyone yet (if you're a vigilante) and you seem to be the lynch target for today, precisely due to your shenanigans).
This phrase (I can't quote it right now 'cause it's freaking new years and ya know) rings my "trying to stay alive by lying even more" bell.

Now, I haven't decided who to set as lookout, and since I sincerely haven't given a thought to it I'll go with the popular pick Mastahcheese (in case of shenanigans).
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 01, 2015, 09:59:15 am »

I would sincerely appreciate it if you'd stop trying to quote mine me. You're acting as though you're proving me wrong when my argument was based around that statement being false in the first place. I believe it's called proof by contradiction.

Right, ok... Experiment time. Deus Asmoth, what's your role? Since you believe that it's scummy to lie or withhold information, you have to answer this, right?

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 01, 2015, 10:31:35 am »

What... what even is this?

I'll go ahead and put my vote on the Mastahcheese wagon.

Scripten: I don't understand your reasoning for trying to kill Caz. One of the main things I don't get is how she put you on the spot by... reading you town? A lot of people have been read as town. The scum don't usually go "Ooh! Town read! Let's kill 'em!" There are multiple town reads on people. Hell, we're all voting for the most towny person to be lookout!

Town should ALWAYS play toward their wincon. Y'know. Eliminating all anti-town players. It goes without saying that they should help their fellow townspeople, not just kill them for the flip. You might kill the only doctor we have that can protect the lookout. Then we're screwed. Is that chance REALLY worth the flip? Is accidentally killing half the town worth the flips? No. No it isn't. Especially if there's a freaking cult. And with the majority of town players probably having power roles, you're just taking a huge HUGE chance of knocking out some very needed powers. Your attitude isn't helpful at all and even if you are town, with your attitude, you're as bad as an SK. Since you refuse to say whether you have or don't have a kill, yet keep hinting that you do, I don't want you around to murder everyone. And even if you survived the lynch, wouldn't the scum murder you ASAP? Your reasoning is horrible.

Also, 90% certain Silthuri is a girl. Her profile agrees with me, though her profile also states a bizarre age.
I'm 100% female. I messed with my age a while ago just for giggles. I changed it back to my real age though.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 01, 2015, 10:37:33 am »

Right, ok... Experiment time. Deus Asmoth, what's your role? Since you believe that it's scummy to lie or withhold information, you have to answer this, right?
I'll answer this tomorrow, it's nighttime now unless I'm mistaken. If you'd be so kind as to ask it again so I can provide context for my answer it'd be appreciated.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 01, 2015, 10:45:21 am »

Night starts in about an hour and a quarter.  I'll have a votecount up momentarily.

Unfortunate Accident Voting:
mastahcheese(0):
TheDarkStar(0):
Scripten(7): mastahcheese, Caz, Deathsword, Silthuri, flabort, TolyK, Comrade Shamrock
Caz(1): Scripten
Deathsword(0):
Persus13(0):
Vivalas(1): Deus Asmoth
Tiruin(0):
Silthuri(0):
flabort(1): Persus13
TolyK(2): TheDarkStar, Vivalas
Comrade Shamrock(0):
Deus Asmoth(0):
No Lynch(0):
Not Voting: Tiruin

Lookout Voting:
mastahcheese(6): TheDarkStar, Scripten, Silthuri, flabort, TolyK, Deus Asmoth
TheDarkStar(0):
Scripten(0):
Caz(2): Caz, Comrade Shamrock
Deathsword(0):
Persus13(1): Persus13
Vivalas(0):
Tiruin(0):
Silthuri(0):
flabort(0):
TolyK(0):
Comrade Shamrock(0):
Deus Asmoth(0):
Not Voting: mastahcheese, Deathsword, Vivalas, Tiruin

Current Lynch Target: Scripten
Current Lookout Target: mastahcheese

Both votecounts should be correct, although they may not be.  Please inform me of any errors or miscalculations.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:48:31 am by 4maskwolf »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 01, 2015, 11:24:15 am »

When have I said anything that indicates I believe that? When have I said anything that wasn't directly contradicting the exact thing that you claim I'm arguing in favour of? Deathsword said that lying is always scummy and withholding information is enough to avoid unfavourable questions. I pointed out that it's not always enough and lying is a necessary move for town sometimes. Have you not been reading my posts or are you deliberately misinterpreting them?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 01, 2015, 11:39:44 am »

By the way, Scripten, if you happen to be a vigilante... well. That sucks, but really?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 01, 2015, 12:03:38 pm »

Finally pushing past the Volksgrenadiers, the unit advanced on the artillery cluster, and by sundown all artillery pieces had been captured.  Then talk turned towards who needed to go, and the choice was clear: SGT Jimmy Barnes.  While everyone else distracted the sergeant, TolyK snuck up behind him and put a bullet through his head.  Later, they would claim that he had been shot by a sniper in the woods, and although preliminary evidence did not support this claim all investigations of the killing were dropped.

Scripten, Sergeant (Outsider) has been lynched.

mastahcheese has been put on lookout duty.

Night has begun.  Please send all night actions (or decisions not to use night actions) to me by this time tomorrow.  mastahcheese, please send in your lookout decision by the same time.

Unfortunate Accident Voting:
mastahcheese(0):
TheDarkStar(0):
Scripten(7): mastahcheese, Caz, Deathsword, Silthuri, flabort, TolyK, Comrade Shamrock
Caz(1): Scripten
Deathsword(0):
Persus13(0):
Vivalas(1): Deus Asmoth
Tiruin(0):
Silthuri(0):
flabort(1): Persus13
TolyK(2): TheDarkStar, Vivalas
Comrade Shamrock(0):
Deus Asmoth(0):
No Lynch(0):
Not Voting: Tiruin