Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57

Author Topic: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Game Over! Town, Town-Ally, and Survivor Victory!  (Read 110398 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Day One has begun!
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2014, 10:08:49 pm »

Objection! Your Honor, these questions are speculative at best, and have no bearing on the current case. We are here to find the spies, not to outguess the mod.

Meh, they're an interesting way to start a conversation. Those two might know something I don't. Why don't you want us exploring the mechanics of the game?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2014, 10:13:42 pm »

Objection! Your Honor, these questions are speculative at best, and have no bearing on the current case. We are here to find the spies, not to outguess the mod.
Objection overruled, you may proceed Council Caz.

Edit: sorry, couldn't resist, carry on.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:28:50 pm by 4maskwolf »

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2014, 11:44:44 pm »

Right then, from what I gather the red vote in the RVS is puts a little pressure on someone especially the guilty if you manage to hit. But what does the green do? It implies trust. Trust to someone who hasn't said a word yet. The green to me is not the same as the red and as such is pointless in the RVS stage as it doesn't scare anyone.

This is a really good observation and I want everyone to read it again.

Town-related words are things like village, M Night Shamalamalamallamalan, and lynchin's.

What were the word associations supposed to show, Comrade?

Scripten - How do you think that the lookout mechanics of the game will affect it in the best-case scenario? How about the worst?

As Flabort (IIRC) said, this isn't a particularly useful question, but I'll bite. In the best case, we'll either catch scum, out third party mechanics, or otherwise hinder anti-town factions. In the worst case, scum will find our PRs and kill them all.

Meh, they're an interesting way to start a conversation. Those two might know something I don't. Why don't you want us exploring the mechanics of the game?

One of the biggest advantages town currently had is that scum most likely do not know our various roles. Setup spec is just one step off from doing scum's rolefishing for them, since anything you say will be influenced by your role.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2014, 12:21:57 am »

As Flabort (IIRC) said, this isn't a particularly useful question, but I'll bite. In the best case, we'll either catch scum, out third party mechanics, or otherwise hinder anti-town factions. In the worst case, scum will find our PRs and kill them all.

One of the biggest advantages town currently had is that scum most likely do not know our various roles. Setup spec is just one step off from doing scum's rolefishing for them, since anything you say will be influenced by your role.

Why do you say that outing the mechanics of the game is a good thing and the flip around and say it's a bad thing? How does determining which factions we have = outing PRs?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2014, 12:34:38 am »

Why do you say that outing the mechanics of the game is a good thing and the flip around and say it's a bad thing? How does determining which factions we have = outing PRs?

I said third-party mechanics, specifically. That is, serial killers, survivors, and other anti-town players. Those are good to reveal. Revealing town power roles is not good, however. I highly doubt much else will come from setup spec save evidence for scum to use when deciding who to kill.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2014, 12:46:37 am »

The Witness Scripten put it nicely; speculation is similar to or exactly like rolefishing, which only helps the scum.
Caz I'm fine with you exploring the mechanics of the game; I have a problem with you speculating on it. This court only accepts evidence, so if you'd stop badgering the witness about nothing and do your job? There are spies in our midst, and I'd rather we look for them then look for any esoteric game-mechanic-spirit things.
The prosecution would like to further point out that the defense is buying for time, and avoiding the question posed to them: "If the TOWN suspected someone who is ALIVE at night, would you investigate them or would you pick your own suspect?" Whether or not the court declares someone guilty each day is, admittedly, irrelevant to the case and a hoped for resolution, however, it is also irrelevant to the question.
We have one day to discuss the trial. The defense is wasting the court's time by trying to outguess you, 4mask Your Honor.

Tl;Dr Explore how the bastard mod works on your own time, hunt scum, and answer the question to the court's satisfaction.

Deathsword Please explain to the court your opinion of the Random Voting Stage and it's application to the lookout mechanic. ((What do you think of using both red and green votes for random votes?))

Vivalas Please testify for the court on your method of best finding scum on the first two days. ((What is the best way to find scum in the first two days?))

Mastahcheese The court would like to know if your missing court record dead hard drive will have any affect on your ability to hunt scum.

PPE: Scripten How are survivors anti-town? As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they can with with the scum does not conflict the fact that they can win with the town.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2014, 12:49:39 am »

I said third-party mechanics, specifically. That is, serial killers, survivors, and other anti-town players. Those are good to reveal. Revealing town power roles is not good, however. I highly doubt much else will come from setup spec save evidence for scum to use when deciding who to kill.

Figuring out factions doesn't reveal town PRs, though. It specifically seeks out third-parties.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2014, 12:53:29 am »

Figuring out factions doesn't reveal town PRs, though. It specifically seeks out third-parties.
Fine. I'll say this once, speaking from past experience and the words of the wise who spoke out on those experiences.
Generally, if someone is specifically hunting third parties, then it's because they are one and don't know how to handle it.

However, this is a valid objection and the prosecution will allow it.
The Cyan Menace

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2014, 12:54:46 am »

The Witness Scripten put it nicely; speculation is similar to or exactly like rolefishing, which only helps the scum.

I still don't see how this is the case. Figuring out how the game works helps town as they're always the uninformed majority. What's wrong with being more informed? I don't see it extracting power roles by any means unless someone asks that specifically, which is stupid as hell.

Caz I'm fine with you exploring the mechanics of the game; I have a problem with you speculating on it. This court only accepts evidence, so if you'd stop badgering the witness about nothing and do your job? There are spies in our midst, and I'd rather we look for them then look for any esoteric game-mechanic-spirit things.

Evidence? It's Day 1, we have no evidence. If we ask what people would do in certain situations and then find out if they did them or not, we can then use that information to figure out what they are.

The prosecution would like to further point out that the defense is buying for time, and avoiding the question posed to them: "If the TOWN suspected someone who is ALIVE at night, would you investigate them or would you pick your own suspect?"

No one said something about there being a town suspect. IIRC, it was "would you choose your suspect or someone else?" and I already answered it. Why would I choose a random suspect when I had a suspect already?

Mastahcheese The court would like to know if your missing court record dead hard drive will have any affect on your ability to hunt scum.

Why would this have any impact on the game? This is a useless question.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2014, 01:00:07 am »

PPE: Scripten How are survivors anti-town? As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they can with with the scum does not conflict the fact that they can win with the town.

Oh, it certainly does. Who do you think a self-aligned survivor will vote for in 5p LyLo? Hell, in 3p LyLo, I imagine scum will have already won. Survivors are not a trustworthy faction in and of themselves. Of course, they may also be town-aligned and thus have the hardest job of all; staying alive AND lynching anti-town players.

I was talking about the lookout revealing third parties and about setup speccing revealing town PRs. You're conflating the two.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2014, 01:03:25 am »

I don't see it extracting power roles by any means unless someone asks that specifically, which is stupid as hell.

Relevant question.

How do you go about scumhunting? Do you ask everyone if they are scum or do you try to take cues from their play, establish motivations, and thus find their alignments? This sort of setup speculation enhances town-pr hunting more than it does scumhunting. Who do you think benefits from that?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2014, 01:29:32 am »

I was talking about the lookout revealing third parties and about setup speccing revealing town PRs. You're conflating the two.

How does setup speccing reveal town PRs, though?

How do you go about scumhunting? Do you ask everyone if they are scum or do you try to take cues from their play, establish motivations, and thus find their alignments? This sort of setup speculation enhances town-pr hunting more than it does scumhunting. Who do you think benefits from that?

You start with the first that leads to the second. It's day 1, we don't have any information to go on except for how people respond to the questions we ask. Why are you so against asking questions? Again - why do you keep saying that setup speculation hunts out town roles?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2014, 01:32:33 am »

flabort, what's the point of random voting the night watch duty? It doesn't really put pressure on someone as far as I can see, unless they have a victory condition that needs them to never do guard duty.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2014, 01:39:25 am »

unless they have a victory condition that needs them to never do guard duty.

Ooh, interesting. Do you have that wincon?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2014, 01:43:44 am »

I still don't see how this is the case. Figuring out how the game works helps town as they're always the uninformed majority. What's wrong with being more informed? I don't see it extracting power roles by any means unless someone asks that specifically, which is stupid as hell.
Fine, the prosecution admits to exageration. However, it still can be compared to rolefishing in that you are looking for information that is known to only a few players, that the scum would like to use and get their hands on.
What if Scripten had some private information about the Lookout, like a lookout-based-auto, such as not being able to hide, that the scum could abuse if they knew about it, such as voting him to be lookout so that the lookout is wasted when he's killed?
What if Mastahcheese was a third party like survivor, and the scum blackmailed him into cooperating with them? If he were, he could win with town, but being forced with the threat of death and loss to cooperate with scum would make things harder on the town.

Evidence? It's Day 1, we have no evidence. If we ask what people would do in certain situations and then find out if they did them or not, we can then use that information to figure out what they are.
If the defense has no evidence, then the defense must do more to find evidence.
Yes, asking people about what they would do and then looking at whether they do that or not is one way of finding evidence. You can also examine what has already been said, or object to something.

Showing your badge to them won't get you anywhere, nor will asking them about setup speculation.
The prosecution would like to further point out that the defense is buying for time, and avoiding the question posed to them: "If the TOWN suspected someone who is ALIVE at night, would you investigate them or would you pick your own suspect?"

No one said something about there being a town suspect. IIRC, it was "would you choose your suspect or someone else?" and I already answered it. Why would I choose a random suspect when I had a suspect already?
My first version of the question was "If there was someone who was generally considered to be scum at the end of the first day, but someone else was lynched, would you investigate them or another person?"
The first section, "If there was someone who was generally considered to be scum", doesn't that imply that more than one person suspects them? AKA the town suspect? And when I said "or another person", I meant your own suspect, not a random one.
It was meant to be "would you choose town's suspect or your own" from the start.

You still didn't answer it, you just restated that you wouldn't pick randomly. You didn't say whether you'd go with the town suspect or not.

Why would this have any impact on the game? This is a useless question.
His computer is broken, again. He may not be able to view the forums as regularly, which means that he will miss much of the trial and not be able to review the court record, meaning he will not know about all of the evidence. I'm asking him if he's able to make up for that.

Oh, it certainly does. Who do you think a self-aligned survivor will vote for in 5p LyLo? Hell, in 3p LyLo, I imagine scum will have already won. Survivors are not a trustworthy faction in and of themselves. Of course, they may also be town-aligned and thus have the hardest job of all; staying alive AND lynching anti-town players.
Of course in those situations it's easier for a survivor to side with scum. It doesn't mean they HAVE to. It also doesn't mean they are anti-town; anti-town is defined as not being able to win with the town. Survivors, while they usually do not, CAN win with the town and are therefore not anti-town. As town only cares about seeing anti-town factions dead, I don't see the need to persecute a survivor.
I wouldn't like to see one in a LYLO situation, but if the town scumhunts well and gets them all in the first three trial days, or however many are required, then LYLO will not be reached and both the town and survivor will win.

PPE:
flabort, what's the point of random voting the night watch duty? It doesn't really put pressure on someone as far as I can see, unless they have a victory condition that needs them to never do guard duty.
I said this earlier; it puts the person who was asked at ease, making them easier to catch off guard and get answers out of.
It also threatens them, as it paints "Hey scum, do you want to bet that I want information and stop me from trying" in bright green on their back; As I said earlier, if the option to hide didn't exist, then voting to put someone on lookout would be as much of a death sentence as lynching them. This puts pressure on the person asked, much like voting them to be lynched.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57