Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Rome Total War  (Read 4285 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rome Total War
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 09:50:42 am »

Well Kingdoms was... 4 expansions essentially in one box which is why I thought it had more. >_< opps

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 10:00:31 am »

They are aware of the multiplayer market and there is development aiming at it... maybe.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 10:05:41 am »

I remember Medieval 2 had Kingdoms as an expansion and Shogun 2 had Fall of the Samurai, what were the other expansions ?

edit : just quickly checked wiki to see if i was missing something, but there was no mention of any other expansions of those games.

Shogun 2 also had Rise of the Samurai.

As well as a bunch of silly little DLC like new clans and crap like that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:08:08 am by Glloyd »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 06:32:24 pm »

So, I fired up the old Medieval Total War 2, and I'm really confused after playing so much CK2. Apparently, killing enemy factions leaders is useless. Allies are useless too, or at least they don't seem to do anything. Being a vassal doesn't hurt either, so I just whore myself out for cash/regions.

Also, I took over Rome, am I going to be excommunicated forever?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2014, 06:38:12 pm »

So, I fired up the old Medieval Total War 2, and I'm really confused after playing so much CK2. Apparently, killing enemy factions leaders is useless. Allies are useless too, or at least they don't seem to do anything. Being a vassal doesn't hurt either, so I just whore myself out for cash/regions.

Also, I took over Rome, am I going to be excommunicated forever?

Nope, there are quite a few ways out of it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2014, 06:40:02 pm »

Such as? Killing the pope until my cardinal become pope?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »

Such as? Killing the pope until my cardinal become pope?

Or when your leader dies.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2014, 11:37:33 pm »

So what was your favorite family to play as? (Scipii, Brutii, or Julii?) (asking everyone)

In order:

Julii: the start is kind of a slow ramp-up because you are probably taking a lot of undeveloped provinces, which is kind of nice. Though I don't know, the last time the Senate threw me at Thermon and Sparta. But what this means is that when civil war comes around, you're looking at seizing big delicious moneymaking huge cities in Greece and also Carthage probably

* in re Germans, 1) the computer builds shrines of Freya everywhere because it is dumb so you face a lot of screeching women, that is, IF you get around to conquering their provinces before someone else (Britain) does, because... they use a lot of screeching women and tend to lose

Brutii: take Greece, get super rich - once you know how to handle phalanxes this is the easiest faction in the game. Problem is when the civil war happens... well, what do you want with the other factions' chump-ass provinces? Where's your motivation? "Ooh, Lugdunum" :P

Scipii: I like their temples and their ships but they have to deal with Carthage first (not too big a deal if you take out their starting elephants early), those far-flung desert cities, and *@$# Egypt later, HATE Egypt - not even sure this faction is easier than Egypt, or Macedon for that matter

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 12:08:29 am »

Ya Egypt is terrible
And those back stabbing numidians can be a pain but it takes forever for their reinforcements/attacking units to get anywhere
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 12:20:16 am »

I still have it installed from my latest RTR playthrough.

game is simply too time consuming.  but awesome
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 12:28:09 am »

Ya went on a long car trip to see family and got a few hours to play it on my laptop in the backseat

Started a Brutii campaign and took out Greece then when Macedonia betrayed me I sent the youngest of my family to take out their capital and (was currently under their control) Athens

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 01:37:58 am »

I forgot who I was. Posted it before somewhere here. But, I remember I had one city under attack. All I had was like 300 defense and was able to get a (one, single, solo, uno) cavalry unit to arrive to defend. Defend an army of over 3000 men...

Against pretty much my 50 man (or whatever it was) cavalry unit...think it was a general, don't remember. I thought it was a regular cavalry unit, but in any case...

I had the 300 defenders sit in town.

My 50 (or whatever) man cavalry unit killed over 2000 enemy troops and routed the rest.

I pretty much stopped playing at that point to be honest, but I laughed like hell.

I did get pissed it wasn't a heroic victory and pretty much shelved the game cause come on, that isn't a decisive victory but an heroic one. Figured game was broken at that point. I think this was before major mods were out...so it was a vanilla game I think.

RTW is a lot better now with mods for it obviously. But vanilla (I assume I was playing vanilla, honestly too long ago for me to remember) cavalry and victory screen were completely broken rofl.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 01:55:40 am »

I wiped out an army with a single unit of unhorsed crusader knights in Medieval 2 once.  They were mostly peasant levies and light spearman and such but they outnumbered my guys like ten to one.  So we parked in the gate of a castle and let it go like that.  Just an endless series of 1v1 duels between hopelessly mismatched foes.  We routed the army for massive casualties and didn't lose a single man.
Shoes...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 07:23:55 am »

At least Rome 1 and Medieval 2 had that with chokepoints, be they bridges or castle gates. Park a high quality/defensive unit on that, fast forward 30 minutes, win.

Nothing forced you to do that if you craved for challenge, obviously.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 08:18:05 am »

Ya choke points are great though

Had a bit of fun setting a couple spartan hoplites on a bridge against roman legions, cavalry, and thousands of light infantry

Yaaaaa those were good times
Pages: 1 2 [3]