Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - GAME OVER! See first post.  (Read 48937 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Atlos clicks at the strange creatures, seeing if they respond to sound.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Hmmm... useful.

Does this computer have a wireless link that I can switch to the secure network?  Without actually switching yet, see if there's any sort of way I would be tracked or noticed for trying to access it, especially with the wrong password.  What would it likely get me?

Are there cameras in here?  What about monitors for other cameras?  Can I monitor the elevator?

There is in fact a camera in the corner, fixed inside a black bulb which is hard to see through. It can only see the back of your screen, however.

[6/6] The laptop can switch wireless networks with just a passcode, no other authentication required. You have no way of knowing further what you can do, so you go ahead and log in.

Immediately, a strange popup appears on your screen. It's a teal window with a stylized button and a sentence written in aqua-colored text, strikingly different form the mundane software otherwise installed on the computer:
"Welcome to the secure network. Your connection will not be traced. I recommend you disable all other connections to comply with security."

You hit 'OK.' A new popup appears.

"I am technology coordinator Vespus. If you need me, I will be in the bottom right corner of your screen at all times."

A little orb appears as an overlay over everything else on the screen. You can drag it around in case you need to move it without clicking on it.

Atlos clicks at the strange creatures, seeing if they respond to sound.

The pile starts to shake. The creatures curl up and start chewing at the pile, brushing away debris. Then you realize what's inside the pile: It's another one of your kind.

"What? Who are you? Are you from Tectonics Corporation?"
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Speaking in native language))

Atlos skin momentarily flashes violet with surprise. "Are you... are you sleeping there?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Huh.  Neat.

Without activating ol' Vespus, let's see what I can do with this connection.  What new devices can I see?  Can I at least see the terminal if not log in to it remotely?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Atlos skin momentarily flashes violet with surprise. "Are you... are you sleeping there?"

The stranger's dialect is a little strange, but after you start using the new language, the stranger follows suit.

"Well of course, what do you expect me to do? Sleep in the water treatment facilities? With all those chemicals they put in the water? I've lived here for months, and they've never found me."

Huh.  Neat.

Without activating ol' Vespus, let's see what I can do with this connection.  What new devices can I see?  Can I at least see the terminal if not log in to it remotely?

Unfortunately, your device does not have full access to superuser commands. However, you don't need those to interface with other devices on the secure network, and to see what else is connected.

All of the security cameras on the station are connected to the network, and you have access to any of them, with the ability to display the feed on the screen and take recordings.
You can also connect to the devices controlling the atmosphere systems, water supply, heating, and power transmission. The docking bays aren't remotely operated--you need to control them from a control tower, but if you were to hack one of the computers inside the control tower you could do it.
You can also connect to the servers, which you'd need to log in to with an administrator's account and password. That would require you actually getting someone's username.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"So, you're not supposed to be here, are you? Don't worry, I won't tell if you don't. Might I ask, though, what brings you out here?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"So, you're not supposed to be here, are you? Don't worry, I won't tell if you don't. Might I ask, though, what brings you out here?"

"It is... a bit of a complicated story. You see, I was working for Tectonics Corporation. We had a meeting here, but it didn't go too well. One of my coworkers insulted a bureaucrat and things went downhill from there. Talked about a 'big lie' or something, mainly to do with the conditions on the mining platforms. It seemed the coworker had access to information he shouldn't have, because they locked him up and I have no idea what happened to him. They told the rest of us to get out, but some of us stayed a little too long on the inner ring to talk to some businessfolk. Big mistake. SE changed its mind and tried to arrest us too. The half that got off this inner ring managed to board a craft and leave. My half... I was the only one that escaped by hiding in Hydroponics. I'm not sure what happened to the others. It's been a while."

You haven't heard of Tectonics Corporation. The stranger goes on into detail about what the corporation is.

"Tectonics is a terraforming firm. We invest--or they invest--in making potentially habitable worlds habitable. We do most of our business with humans, although we have mostly Rtalis in our ranks. Humans have a difficult time agreeing who pays for these kinds of projects, so we have a natural edge, being more cooperative than most. We were looking into Ulysses in case its atmosphere could be seeded with engineered life, to provide some kind of future tourism opportunity or perhaps a scientific reserve. Then we noticed that its asteroids were also in the habitable zone. We tried to get a research contract with SpaceInc which led to our meeting."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

((I'm still waiting on the actual roll.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trying to get a response from HeN. Hopefully tomorrow/this morning (heh).

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

"First they lock us up, then they'll get us one by one...let's talk about this out of sight..." McMarlo insists, motioning to at least one of the smarter conspirators...

Action: Time to plot a station overthrow with Elizabeth Bacon, unlikely firebrand revolutionary. Spread the word!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This was most unexpected. While Atlos would love to pick the stranger's brain about human business culture, this seemed rather serious. "Tell me now, who owns this Tectonics Corp?"

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"The color of the contamination is teal."

CHeck the sleeping guard for any objects of note, preferably a password or ID.

(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nerin addresses the scientists. "We still haven't found the person who let the blob out right? And the blob was missing a major section of its mass correct? Let's say the person took that section of biomatrix with him or her. If you were trying to cause the maximum number of infections possible, where would you dump the blob? I'm thinking water treatment, but I don't know how this station handles contaminants in the water. Maybe have someone give it a check? Never hurts to be too paranoid."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2015, 07:53:04 pm »

Moravia Orbital Colony, Ulysses | 237d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Megacity Time: 7:23

Alpha Complex, Commerce Sector
Civil Unrest (-1 Diplomacy)
Morale Boost (1/6th chance of a lockdown on the streets. All combat toward law enforcement receives a +1 to initiative and attack rolls.)

"First they lock us up, then they'll get us one by one...let's talk about this out of sight..." McMarlo insists, motioning to at least one of the smarter conspirators...

Action: Time to plot a station overthrow with Elizabeth Bacon, unlikely firebrand revolutionary. Spread the word!

[4 -1 +1+1] A bunch of teenagers might not be of much use to you. But they are a bunch of teenagers, meaning that they are gullible and will make a perfect distraction!

Bacon: We weren't planning to...
Short guy: Well I'm in.
Tall guy: Yeah this could be fun.
Tall girl: I'll get my gun!
Bacon: What the hell! You're just going to go out and kill people for fun?
Tall guy: I thought it was gonna be more along the lines of protesting and civil disobedience.
Short guy: Might as well be prepared when the cops come.
Bacon: Okay shut up!

You find a nice, secluded alley and calmly suggest that the circle of teenagers goes there to talk about future plans. Of course, they question the trustworthiness of a raven-man wearing a SpaceCoat. They still oblige, however, and soon you have a party of followers ready to march on... wherever is considered important here. Still, it's good to know that you have a couple of vectors by which to continue spreading dissent. But you'll need a target.

Primary Elevator Control Room
High Security (-1 Stealth)

Huh.  Neat.

Unfortunately, your device does not have full access to superuser commands. However, you don't need those to interface with other devices on the secure network, and to see what else is connected.

All of the security cameras on the station are connected to the network, and you have access to any of them, with the ability to display the feed on the screen and take recordings.
You can also connect to the devices controlling the atmosphere systems, water supply, heating, and power transmission. The docking bays aren't remotely operated--you need to control them from a control tower, but if you were to hack one of the computers inside the control tower you could do it.
You can also connect to the servers, which you'd need to log in to with an administrator's account and password. That would require you actually getting someone's username.

Headquarters, Floor 3
Professional Atmosphere (+1 Intellect)

This was most unexpected. While Atlos would love to pick the stranger's brain about human business culture, this seemed rather serious. "Tell me now, who owns this Tectonics Corp?"

"They were privately owned, by a group of wealthy Rtalis investors that left our society quite early on in the beginning of the space age. You probably never heard of them because they came to being in a fairly distant part of the sector."

He trails off as a fish wanders close. Immediately, he swings his jaw forward and eats it in one go, almost hitting you as he does so.

"Sorry about that. Anyway, Tectonics definitely won't be working in this sector anymore. They've got projects elsewhere, like Nemo III or Autarka Tercii. There's already Autarkii living on the last one, but it's a snowball and they won't turn down a nice place to live."

((Irrelevant fluff below. I felt like writing.))

Spoiler: Autarkii (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Autarkii physiology (click to show/hide)

Maintenance Shafts
Hidden (+1 Stealth)

"The color of the contamination is teal."

CHeck the sleeping guard for any objects of note, preferably a password or ID.

You extend a limb from the ceiling and start pickpocketing him while he sleeps. You find a wallet, a badge, a keyring, and some wet red stuff.

You inspect the red stuff closer, and realize exactly what it is.

The man is dead, not sleeping.

Moravia Lab
High Security (-1 Stealth)

Nerin addresses the scientists. "We still haven't found the person who let the blob out right? And the blob was missing a major section of its mass correct? Let's say the person took that section of biomatrix with him or her. If you were trying to cause the maximum number of infections possible, where would you dump the blob? I'm thinking water treatment, but I don't know how this station handles contaminants in the water. Maybe have someone give it a check? Never hurts to be too paranoid."

"Water is treated at the treatment plant and then distributed directly to the... oh God. We need to cut off the supply right now."

Nerin and Valrak both grab suits, scan them in multispectrum for possible biomatrix in them, and equip them should they be clean. Nerin then pings all KX9 in system and enroute to the system. "Smallscale biomatrix outbreak on local station. Currently Class Three. Potential to evolve to higher grades. Currently does not appear airborn. My Paired's Class Five Antitox organs and nanos have been shown to be capable of purging it from the body. However he did have to slice off a section of his arm to remove infected skin. Outbreak appears to be spreading, working with local authorities to contain. Should situation worsen, we will be abandoning the station and will request a pickup as necessary. Recommended all KX9 units stay within airtight Class Two or higher hazmat within system. Preferably Class Three. Request for Purgecore to be on standby should outbreak spread to multiple planetary bodies." Nerin then messages through guild comms to both infiltrators and the Guild Proper. Although Infiltrators would receive a text based version. "This is Nerin. Smallscale Class Three Biomatrix outbreak on target station. Working with local authorities to suppress it and lessen civilian casualties. Recommend all units onstation to locate and equip some form of airtight hazmat suit. Recommend no additional dockings with station by any guild controlled shuttles or ships until situation is controlled."

Both Valrak and Nerin go back to scanning.

"That blob leaped off of someone. Get blood samples from them. If they resist then detain them. Also separate them by several feet minimum. No need to risk it transferring."

The silence is eerie. Normally you're used to KX9 being present everywhere, but this system is a ghost town, at least in terms of KX9. No significant assembly present. You hear some unintelligible chatter, but it's distorted because it's from several systems away.

The guards in the ER are joined by several lab assistants and workers wearing suitable protection. They begin taking samples from the suspects, noticing little out of the ordinary as they do so. The stray blob is also recovered, posing quite a conundrum for the scientists, at least until until the samples are analyzed. The results show that everyone in the room has some trace of biomatrix in their flesh, and most of them are in fact .

"We're going to have to detain them all."
"The Federation guy is going to be a nuisance. Put them in hazmat suits and send them to the lab. Purge the ER."
Dr. Chance turns to Nerin and Valrak.

"You two have augmented vision. I need you to watch carefully. Don't use any of this multispectrum nonsense, the taint is indistinguishable from from ordinary people without some way of seeing through skin. Microwaves would only work for checking fingers and other places where the bone is shallow. And as we've seen, it can selectively infect only parts of the body. Lock down the store."

The milliwave scanner is still available.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:39:00 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nerin and Valrak continue scanning, using the Milliscanner and their sensors to watch for anything abnormal. "Cut it off then. And make sure there are several people present during the shutdown and several to guard any way people can reactivate it."

Nerin pings Warden. "If you can without being discovered, shut off the water. Likely Biomatrix infestation."

Valrak pings the rest of the infiltrators "Nobody drink or touch water from the station's source. Avoid physical contact with people without hazmat suits, do your best to locate a hazmat suit, and don't touch anything that looks like a blob. Very high chance of biomatrix outbreak."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31