Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - GAME OVER! See first post.  (Read 48939 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

"There's a blob. It leaped off of a person. It's behind that counter. Detain that person. Lock down the area. Potentially rampant infection." Nerin brings up the recording on the computer for the scientists to see.

"If they don't want to be detained. Then have them sit still while they get tested by people in envirosuits. Speaking of suits, are there any extras laying around we can use?"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:12:09 pm by Kevak »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I recommend pming people.))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Given what he'd just said, and his capabilities besides, Atlos deems it imprudent to stalk the military-looking fellows at the moment. Perhaps WARDEN can do better. Being ill-equiped to attack a security person (and not really inclined), Atlos decides to take a look around for a waterway he could get into. If caught, it would be quite plausible for him to claim he thought it was an accessway.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

((Coulda sworn I posted an action...))

Deuce glanced at the person leaving, then looked at the man looking for his card.  "Thought I saw something in the corner..."

Grab the cards when he's not looking and pocket them both.  As for the console, there's just one thing I want:  the Wi-Fi password.  I'll work on grabbing the rest later.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A sleeping guard. Predictable.

Check to see if the security room's door is closed. If yes, then cut through the grate and observe the camera feeds.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2015, 08:57:01 pm »

Moravia Orbital Colony, Ulysses | 237d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Megacity Time: 7:22

Primary Elevator Control Room
High Security (-1 Stealth)

Deuce glanced at the person leaving, then looked at the man looking for his card.  "Thought I saw something in the corner..."

Grab the cards when he's not looking and pocket them both.  As for the console, there's just one thing I want:  the Wi-Fi password.  I'll work on grabbing the rest later.

[5] The manager falls for the bait and looks in the corner. Meanwhile you pocket the card.
Gained Technician Manager's Card

[3] You abuse the manager permissions to look up the wireless password, opening the popup and minimizing it when the manager gets back up. You remember most of the characters and write them down on a piece of paper... but you can't remember the last one. You know it's a number.

You walk out of the room as the manager continues looking, unable to find the card you stole. You walk past a single guard who seems to be relaxing against the wall while waiting for something. The manager with red text is right at the end of the hall.
"Hey, what's your name again?"

You look down at your nametag and notice that it's upside down. Ah, the indirect approach.

As you respond, the manager informs you that it is time to introduce you to your provided computer, which features organizational aids, record browsing, and remote mapping of tasks. As a new employee, however, you will not have access to the secure network.

Headquarters, Floor 3
Professional Atmosphere (+1 Intellect)

Given what he'd just said, and his capabilities besides, Atlos deems it imprudent to stalk the military-looking fellows at the moment. Perhaps WARDEN can do better. Being ill-equiped to attack a security person (and not really inclined), Atlos decides to take a look around for a waterway he could get into. If caught, it would be quite plausible for him to claim he thought it was an accessway.

Water transport is an essential part of the station's life support loop. While plumbing exists on most manmade establishments, this station depends on water transport for hydroponics, algae farming, and . Algae farms typically involve small tubes placed under a gro-lamp, but here on the headquarters there is a dedicated hydroponics section with irrigation channels wide enough to swim in (though covered with a grate designed to mount plants onto)

There is also, as you discover, a "Hanging Garden" sector which features several terraces and channels of running water flowing down from the top (fifth) level and falling into a collection level at the bottom (level 0, below the normal deck). Humans can cross over the channels via bridge, though you can simply swim over if you weren't in your fishtank. The hanging garden is irrigated by the channels, and features several forms of plantlife edible to humans, including trees and vines of all sorts. This establishment, reserved for those with permission to enter the headquarters ring, is mostly used as a recreation and meeting area. It does look quite aesthetically pleasing, however.

You wonder if the channel water is recycled directly or sent to the water treatment plant directly.

Maintenance Shafts
Hidden (+1 Stealth)

A sleeping guard. Predictable.

Check to see if the security room's door is closed. If yes, then cut through the grate and observe the camera feeds.

The door is in fact closed--the guard is the only one in the room.

[3] You cut through the grate. It falls unexpectedly, and you just hardly manage to catch it and pull it back up into the maintainence space.

You are able to get a better view of the cameras now. You focus on the mysterious person doing things to the water supply, who finishes emptying the bags into the vat. The water has changed to an unsightly teal, although you are not sure if that is actual or because of the camera.
The figure then leaves through one of the exits. You track him along several camera feeds, he seems to be heading to the trams to get back to the population ring.

Moravia Lab
High Security (-1 Stealth)

"There's a blob. It leaped off of a person. It's behind that counter. Detain that person. Lock down the area. Potentially rampant infection." Nerin brings up the recording on the computer for the scientists to see.

Dr. Chance looks at the recording and immediately grabs a radio to speak to the armed personnel.
"We have a breach. Lock down that room, you are free to engage if attacked. Look around the supply counter, a small bit leaped off and escaped."

The offending piece of blob is quickly spotted and vaporized in a flash of light by one of the guards. The room is locked down. That "Stellar Federation" individual starts complaining more.
"You're trapping us here with the infection? You're going to make it worse!"

He responds by staying away from the other persons, who all appear to be greatly confused. Their expressions are pretty genuine, except one, who appears nonchalant. The guards notice this, and two of them confront the individual.
Guard 1: Count to ten for me.

Dr. Chance explains a way of identifying an infection.
"They can talk, although not well. They sound rather like a person with a disability, though, so it's not a direct indicator of infection."

The suspect counts to ten fluidly, but in a different language, some offshoot of the Germanic languages in fact, which is acceptable enough. English is a fairly easy language to pronounce in comparison. Moving on, the guards confront the others and make them count as well. Each suspicious person passes with flying colors.

"If they don't want to be detained. Then have them sit still while they get tested by people in envirosuits. Speaking of suits, are there any extras laying around we can use?"

"There are a lot in the emergency shower over there." he points to a large booth near the entrance to the area marked 'SH-1, Chemical Hazard.' Inside you locate a bunch of suits on a rack.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

If that elevator had a checkpoint for clearance, then Atlos reasoned anyone up here would be assumed to have permission. He looks for somewhere to stow the fishtank, getting into the water to search for a route to the treatment facility if he does.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nerin and Valrak both grab suits, scan them in multispectrum for possible biomatrix in them, and equip them should they be clean. Nerin then pings all KX9 in system and enroute to the system. "Smallscale biomatrix outbreak on local station. Currently Class Three. Potential to evolve to higher grades. Currently does not appear airborn. My Paired's Class Five Antitox organs and nanos have been shown to be capable of purging it from the body. However he did have to slice off a section of his arm to remove infected skin. Outbreak appears to be spreading, working with local authorities to contain. Should situation worsen, we will be abandoning the station and will request a pickup as necessary. Recommended all KX9 units stay within airtight Class Two or higher hazmat within system. Preferably Class Three. Request for Purgecore to be on standby should outbreak spread to multiple planetary bodies." Nerin then messages through guild comms to both infiltrators and the Guild Proper. Although Infiltrators would receive a text based version. "This is Nerin. Smallscale Class Three Biomatrix outbreak on target station. Working with local authorities to suppress it and lessen civilian casualties. Recommend all units onstation to locate and equip some form of airtight hazmat suit. Recommend no additional dockings with station by any guild controlled shuttles or ships until situation is controlled."

Both Valrak and Nerin go back to scanning.

"That blob leaped off of someone. Get blood samples from them. If they resist then detain them. Also separate them by several feet minimum. No need to risk it transferring."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I'd bump this, but tomorrow I have school to deal with, and I may or may not be able to update tonight.))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems the water supply has been contaminated. I should inform the team about this.

Message the group about the contamination, and track the culprits location.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nerin responds to Warden. "What color was the taint?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

((Sorry; this one slipped past me.))

"Thank you sir!"

Sit down and study the computer.  Browse through its capabilities and see what I can do (within the obviously acceptable parameters while anyone is looking.)  What about my general surroundings?   How many people are here with me usually?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I recommend enabling notifications on the thread.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Mini-roll))

Nerin responds to Warden. "What color was the taint?"

Based on some of the data you've looked through, the color of the slime is variable. It was orange when you encountered it, but specimens in the lab have been shown to be a striking turquoise, a deep scarlet, or a pale green. It typically depends on the rate and method of growth. it is orange when the slime is at its base state, imitating animal tissue and not noticeably growing. It turns green when imitating plantlife, producing a chemical not unlike chlorophyll. When teal, it is in its infection vector state, separating into microscopic spores protected by a thick membrane. Its red state is its 'takeover' state, during which it rapidly mixes itself with the target's blood in order to assimilate information. It can be other colors in its takeover state, but red is the most common color of blood among sapient beings in this human-dominated sector.

If that elevator had a checkpoint for clearance, then Atlos reasoned anyone up here would be assumed to have permission. He looks for somewhere to stow the fishtank, getting into the water to search for a route to the treatment facility if he does.

[4] A conveniently placed hedge located against one of the walls of the garden chamber allows you to hide the fishtank completely out of sight. Emerging from the tank, you slip out of the bushes when nobody is looking (There is but a single human in the garden. He is at a picnic table eating a sandwich) and enter the water. You immediately notice fish swimming around you as if you were one of their kind. You also smell blood, presumably from the fish, but scarcely visible in the water. You cannot find a particular source of the blood, so perhaps a fish was eaten at some point a long time ago.

You scout around the grates along the edges of the garden room. The sections of terrace each have their own water supply and drainage, intended to keep water from stagnating. At both sides of the room, a long pipe about a meter in diameter and several meters deep recedes into the wall, ending in a grate that is unlocked. Beyond each grate, water flows out into a large pool where it flows along additional pipes to some other reaches of the station. Presumably, there are multiple water treatment plants--the water is sent to more than one in case one fails, ensuring redundancy.

While looking around, you spot a dense conglomeration of dead plant matter and fish corpses lodged against one of the grates. As you try to clear it out, you find that it is rigidly attached to the grate, presumably because the water pins it against the grate as it flows. You notice several long, eel-like fish sticking out of the pile in two distinct rows, each terminating in an eyeless, clawed mouth. Something about the mouths seems strange, however, as they don't seem to have a throat. It's just a bunch of claw-like teeth oriented toward each other, four in total. No eyes, either.

((Sorry; this one slipped past me.))

"Thank you sir!"

Sit down and study the computer.  Browse through its capabilities and see what I can do (within the obviously acceptable parameters while anyone is looking.)  What about my general surroundings?   How many people are here with me usually?

As a manager, you have access to this one tool that might be useful. It tells you the locations of nearby computers with the software, overlayed over a floorplan. It also allows you to set a label. Yours is set to "manager," but there are numerous .

You are currently located within a lounge, sitting on a chair against the wall. From your current position, nobody can see what you are doing on your screen. You have a pair of headphones which you can use to listen to sounds as well. The others in the lounge consist of the manager who brought you here (and pointed out your upside-down nametag) and a rookie who doesn't seem to know where he is going. He shambles over to the manager, who then stands up and points to the hallway to the work area (there are three halls in total leading out of the room. One goes to the security room, one goes back to that garage place/work area you were in earlier, and one goes to administrative offices), asking if he needs help finding the atmosphere separator.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Hmmm... useful.

Does this computer have a wireless link that I can switch to the secure network?  Without actually switching yet, see if there's any sort of way I would be tracked or noticed for trying to access it, especially with the wrong password.  What would it likely get me?

Are there cameras in here?  What about monitors for other cameras?  Can I monitor the elevator?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31