Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163790 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1830 on: September 01, 2015, 02:59:54 pm »

@nik: wouldn't it be much easier though to just offer a certain amount of tokens for certain jobs done? Much less hassle, just 'do X and get Y tokens for it'.

I don't mind it, but then it gets a little more complicated towards semi-permanent Heph personnel, I believe. Unless we'd extend token use to Hephaestus (in regards to personal acquisitions of non-zero-token price)... which isn't that unlikely, actually, with tokens as virtual currency and all, but might severely damage Hephaestus economics and work order if approached incorrectly (introduced in more circumstances than warrant their use, hampering the research and production, for example).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: September 01, 2015, 03:15:33 pm »

@nik: wouldn't it be much easier though to just offer a certain amount of tokens for certain jobs done? Much less hassle, just 'do X and get Y tokens for it'.

I don't mind it, but then it gets a little more complicated towards semi-permanent Heph personnel, I believe. Unless we'd extend token use to Hephaestus (in regards to personal acquisitions of non-zero-token price)... which isn't that unlikely, actually, with tokens as virtual currency and all, but might severely damage Hephaestus economics and work order if approached incorrectly (introduced in more circumstances than warrant their use, hampering the research and production, for example).

Well, who is that? You, Sean and Emp. Emp doesn't really do artifact R&D, Sean doesn't do that often either it seems.

Either way, we could just say people on Hep can still get what they want, but need to leave equipment there if they move to the Sword. Combined with the fact that this would be for things not getting done by the current Hep staff either, they could also 'claim' one of these jobs and get paid for it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: September 01, 2015, 03:55:49 pm »

Ah, so it's free job claiming irrelevant of person's position? That I can approve; but then I question the position of "things not getting done by the current Hep staff" - could that be instead "things that need to be done as expressed by Generals' directive" or something?

Basically, I want to say, 70-90% of what I do on Hephaestus is public projects. I love the process enough to do it essentially for free (or, well, for the ability to do it at all; as are other Heph admins, I believe). I feel the duty to do so because this is a higher calling for us. But if I had an intern to do the artifact and sample research for me, who is paid for the job and all, it'd mean a loss of incentive for me to contribute to public projects at all, focusing on private tinkering and stuff, leading to corruption and inefficiency.

Once upon a time Hephaestus people could claim equipment and stuff out of their volition, and no one would question it - that could be considered their payment. Nowadays, as you yourself mention, we are to return our requisitioned equipment upon leaving Hephaestus. It stands up to reason to prevent power abuse, but becomes simply unfair when payments are introduced into the system.

In a nutshell, I don't want for Hephaestus Administration to turn into wageless slaves working "for the sake of it" nor corrupt incompetents, being incentivised to neglect their work and occasionally snip at others' to maximize their income.

@Hephaestus defenses and (again) temp-working
Oh, and one more thing - once upon a time, there was a division of spheres between the Hephaestus Administration, so that one wouldn't tread upon the other's territory and all. Of course, since then we've lost half of our Administrators to stasis catatonia, but unless we want to change the structure yet again, I'd say we should find a way to preserve its ideals rather than have all Admins and interns dabble in all affairs simultaneously, with no check or supervision. 

Some of you asked what was the matter with Hephaestus defenses; under the current system, it's not a question aimed at the Administration as a whole, it's a question aimed at one specific person (who I believe is doing his job just fine behind the scenes, via PMs) - it's the same as if you question the current slow pace of artifact research you are saying that to me, not Sean/Syv/Pyro. That is how currently the system works, and until we change it, let's keep having the designated people responsible according to their designations, okay?

(I'd love to dabble in shipbuilding/defense preparations, but I respect Sean not to encroach upon what is rightfully his, at least without his permission.)

((Yay, walls of text strike again! I didn't have enough opportunity to enjoy writing them since Syv has gone unresponsive.))

Add:
I wonder if the Hammer cannon can shoot people as well...

Yes it can. See the boarding action in the Defense of Hephaestus :P
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:57:25 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: September 01, 2015, 04:00:06 pm »

Yes it can. See the boarding action in the Defense of Hephaestus

Without a shell, mind. A big dang man cannon.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: September 01, 2015, 04:06:26 pm »

Were the person in question in robotic body, it would probably work fine (I think there'd be enough ferromagnetic metals inside). Now, if the person in question is in synth-flesh or meat-flesh body, we have a little engineering problem to solve...

@Sean: ...I've never been so glad that both Maurice and Anton are meatlings and so would require additional effort to, ah, fire from their positions on Hephaestus.  8)

Although, come to think of it, Simus and Steve aren't vanilla robobodied either. They knew... ~_~
Past Sigs

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: September 02, 2015, 02:08:03 am »

As far as tinkering, Anton is going to revise and redesign his Artee plans into this (this optional). Basically, just a robotic quadruped body with paws, wheels, a tail, and two hidden arms. The only integrated weapon it keeps is the metal cutter jaw, everything else is in modules.[/b]
((TL;DR: It can handle two one-handed weapons without issues, as well as anything that requires hands; it can operate as a Sod would, and all gear that in previous concepts was just built in, is now made into optional gear that is added at extra cost, much like soldier abilities or genemods in XCOM:EW - one per slot, mostly selecting between combat and non-combat applications.))

That Artee is starting to look very useful support thing. I just hope it won't be too expensive.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1836 on: September 02, 2015, 03:18:18 am »

Does it come in XXXXXXXXXXXL size? And can it wall climb?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: September 02, 2015, 03:57:49 am »

Does it come in XXXXXXXXXXXL size? And can it wall climb?
Project TROMBE is not in the cards just yet, though not completely off the table.

And.. well it has paws. It can climb at most as well as a declawed cat can. Though maybe claws would be a good addition.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1838 on: September 02, 2015, 04:12:45 am »

Why not just look at something like the scout-eye's legs? Or that wall-walker legs Pyro's previous character had at Chine-9?
Not saying you shouldn't give it claws, they would be a fun and cheap addition.
Oh, and as an experiment, you could try giving one one of those new self-modifying organic brain computers we have. See what happens. One without weapon, of course. Maybe we could even raise them to become amp-users.

EDIT: Irrelevant: another idea was to take one of those organic computers and connect them to a person's brain. Try to get them to start copying how that person thinks and acts. Then that would be installed in battlesuits the user controls, so that if the pilot is ever killed or knocked unconscious, then the brain can keep fighting for a while. Of course, any brain that no longer has a pilot to control it gets destroyed or at least put in storage because it is too dangerous.

EDIT2: Or we could find a good alternative for our Stevebots with that brain computer, if we could get ARESTEVE to put part of himself in them. Something that will allow us to use them without the need for a direct connection with Steve.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:17:38 am by Parisbre56 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1839 on: September 02, 2015, 12:13:19 pm »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: September 02, 2015, 02:29:55 pm »

Seems like it would be a good idea to use the SM-eating things as reality distortion sensors.  It's using a solar panel as a light sensor, but that's what you do with alien canopeners.  :P

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: September 04, 2015, 05:46:56 am »

@emp: Is it for a sort of 'autonomous evac system' that can take of running when activated, but in an intelligent way, to try and save its user without slamming headfirst into a wall?

Perhaps a pure silicon computer would work well for this? It's a fairly simple task after all, and we have snowglobe data for decent AI.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: September 04, 2015, 05:55:31 am »

@emp: Is it for a sort of 'autonomous evac system' that can take of running when activated, but in an intelligent way, to try and save its user without slamming headfirst into a wall?

Perhaps a pure silicon computer would work well for this? It's a fairly simple task after all, and we have snowglobe data for decent AI.
Yes. Because evidently, I have complete faith that this mission will not be a complete and utter failure that will unleash a ravenous thermophage upon the universe and am preparing them as a pre-emptive celebratory action as a way of saying "See this shit? We won so hard we didn't even have to use it!" :P

Good idea, I forgot about that, I'll edit my turn to bring that up as a possibility.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: September 04, 2015, 08:50:55 am »

So, um, I had this idea. About utilising adaptive metal we use in pimp can for armor purposes. Like, you get several pounds of that metal, and an implant that is basically a computer that is wired to person's brain. The latter processes perception data, keeps up the metal in form of a weird morph suit and sends commands to the armor when detects an imminent physical impact to negate it the best way possible. Much in a way manip works, but instead of running calculations through brain it runs it through plain computer.
I believe attempts on doing at least something similar were done, so if you would just say that's not gonna work, well, then nevermind.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: September 04, 2015, 08:55:37 am »

So, um, I had this idea. About utilising adaptive metal we use in pimp can for armor purposes. Like, you get several pounds of that metal, and an implant that is basically a computer that is wired to person's brain. The latter processes perception data, keeps up the metal in form of a weird morph suit and sends commands to the armor when detects an imminent physical impact to negate it the best way possible. Much in a way manip works, but instead of running calculations through brain it runs it through plain computer.
I believe attempts on doing at least something similar were done, so if you would just say that's not gonna work, well, then nevermind.
Wasn't there a Nayrsifact that did something like that?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 155