Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164312 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #750 on: March 04, 2015, 04:55:15 pm »

Reality is getting destroyed because of space magic? Better ramp it up to industrial-scale processes.

Maybe you should go to Hephaustus, to help scale up the end of reality.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 04, 2015, 05:08:04 pm »

Reality is getting destroyed because of space magic? Better ramp it up to industrial-scale processes.
Maybe you should go to Hephaustus, to help scale up the end of reality.
Heck no, I like simple conventional stuff. In Rust I Trust.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 04, 2015, 05:32:31 pm »

Seriously, how come no one has so far attempted to carve a way into the mystery of space magic? I mean, come on people, we're all death convicts here anyway!

I hereby officially dare a single brave soul to venture and find out the secret of space magic. That "glaring white-hot truth". Uphold the Hazardous Materials Requisition Corps honor! You may keep the secret to yourself, but I dare you finding it out at least for yourself. You are also allowed to die upon finding it out, but you have to learn the truth and announce the fact OOC.
Isn't there anyone brave enough to disdain the perils and Steve's prohibition? Be a man or a woman other Corpspeople can look up to! Become the undying hero of the legend!
I dare you!

... There go Piecewise's ninja assassins.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 04, 2015, 05:35:34 pm »

I'm not saying that I'm a good choice to do this because of my ability to back up my knowledge, but that's exactly what I'm saying.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 04, 2015, 06:13:25 pm »

I like how you're more curious as to how to use it for maximum energy production that into the mechanics of a self-fueling soul engine.

See, the problem is that a lot of this stuff gets into schrodinger's cat territory; If I ask PW how it works, he's more likely to realize that I can seriously abuse it, at which point he'll backtrack and prevent me from abusing it.

Well, duh.  Reality's been rotting pretty slowly, so Saint'll probably be dead of natural-ish causes long before the space magic abuse rots reality to an untenable level.  Therefore, why limit his fun in the meantime?

Seriously, how come no one has so far attempted to carve a way into the mystery of space magic? I mean, come on people, we're all death convicts here anyway!

I hereby officially dare a single brave soul to venture and find out the secret of space magic. That "glaring white-hot truth". Uphold the Hazardous Materials Requisition Corps honor! You may keep the secret to yourself, but I dare you finding it out at least for yourself. You are also allowed to die upon finding it out, but you have to learn the truth and announce the fact OOC.
Isn't there anyone brave enough to disdain the perils and Steve's prohibition? Be a man or a woman other Corpspeople can look up to! Become the undying hero of the legend!
I dare you!

... There go Piecewise's ninja assassins.

I've been planning on learning more about space magic for a long while.  I haven't yet primarily because I've been planning on a lot of different things.  Also, I've been waiting on the space magic facility to be finished.

Saint's probably a good choice because he has a good will score, is one of the safest people in the game, and already has a death warrant anyway.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 04, 2015, 07:37:43 pm »

Well, duh.  Reality's been rotting pretty slowly, so Saint'll probably be dead of natural-ish causes long before the space magic abuse rots reality to an untenable level.  Therefore, why limit his fun in the meantime?
If reality comes undone, that makes this whole big conflict we're engaged in two fools fighting over who owns a house while it burns down around them. It is dangerous, very dangerous, and there's no way to win.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 05, 2015, 12:59:18 am »

i know the secret.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 05, 2015, 01:53:59 am »

i know the secret.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If that's the secret, I'm setting off these charges attached to my god computer.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 06, 2015, 08:51:12 am »

Something else to talk about: Anton's done designing his ships, in theory. Do we put them into production? Any (more) changes needed to be done to them? If we do, we need to clear our shipyards - they were producing some kind of ships till now, and we wanted to retroactively decide what those were later - well, "later" is now, so what ships would our shipyards have been producing all this time? I'm thinking some kind of standard UWM cruisers and battleships, gauss cannon-armed, so that we can send something off to defend our new allies.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 06, 2015, 09:07:18 am »

A bunch of ships geared toward defensive space combat sounds ok for the moment.

How are these piloted again? Steve right?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 06, 2015, 09:13:21 am »

Id say theyd probably be controlled by their own independant AI, albiet a subservient one, just like hephaustus.

And they are obviously offensive ships, with berrylium raditite sphere powered spinally mounted death star superlasers.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 06, 2015, 09:14:03 am »

Well, it's already been said that gauss-armed ships are useless for spacefight except for siege battles (incl. besieging "asteroid" capital ships of the UWM). So - no, probably not...
What about making a test run of FEL-ships? Without any fancy materials they might be less crucial to lose (as in, if UWM somehow gets its hands on them), but by sole virtue of advanced design they offer an edge compared to UWM ships of comparable size.

(Somehow, for some reason, I feel that the time UWM throws its best attempt at capturing new ship technology, it would not be in pitched battle, but in an ambush - or, better, with a well-planned sabotage/capture intelligence mission. It might (or might not) wait a little until we've actually fought their fleets head-on, which depends on their carelessness and spy network among Allied worlds. But - we might want to tighten the security on the ships we intend to station "out of immediate reach" just for that. We might be unable to stop a good black-ops mission, but we probably can screw it up enough and maybe buy enough time to enact self-destruct or something - going for stalemate.)

On the other hand, even if we put no advanced new armor on FEL-cruisers (hoh, Felcruisers!), the overall chamber system might benefit from the new materials, for example (as Paris earlier pointed out, maybe pure-Hex can even reflect X-rays or something, allowing for new and interesting ways of upgrading the design).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 06, 2015, 09:56:25 am »

An ambush on a ship that can immediately fire its main guns in any given direction without turning sounds like a plan that kind of has some potential for hilarious failure. :P

But yeah, infiltration and capture would likely be the biggest potential problems.

Also, just to clarify - we will be building new ships, but in the meantime our shipyards were already working. They can't have been making the new ships, so we need to decide what old, standard ships the shipyards have been making for the past month(s).

As for which new ships to build, I'd say start on a small battlegroup, one Graser (may as well call it a Grazer class. Or maybe a "Daisycutter", heh) plus maybe six FEL cruisers, then keep making them in that proportion. The graser ships are more like artillery, they have very powerful, very accurate weapons, but they are huge. Grasers need lots and lots of sheer length, so these things will be pretty slow to turn. Lots of potential for onboard craft and secondary weapons, though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:42 am »

Well, I meant "an ambush" in the sense of "an sudden attack by completely overwhelming force"; in that case the UWM might have a chance to do just enough damage to the ship to disable it (or even dissect it with concentrated fire) before it can do back any meaningful damage.
And - really, is there any reason why this batch of ships have to be of old design? I thought that Piecewise was more or less okay with figuring out the design later (incl.  inventing new one, but probably barring exploitation of any resources and technologies that became available only later - blueradite crystals, in this case); the nature of timeflow on Hephaestus is tricky enough that preliminary designs could have been done long beforehand, right?

But yeah, if strictly old designs of UWM era, then I second "standard space-defensive ships", whichever those would be.

Oooh, oooh, how shall we name them? Proud space ships must bear some really cool names! (Even if only to be later used for derogatory purposes: "Oh, you got to serve on the "Sir Lancelot ARMS"? What an old garbage can, that pre-Revolution design of a ship!" :P )
Past Sigs

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 06, 2015, 03:10:39 pm »

We should name them by designation, so Grazer-1, Grazer-2, etc...  Up until certain ships stand out and do notable things.  Then, we start naming the notable ones after people on the Wall of Remembrance.  So, Grazer-class ARMS Adrian.  The next three would be the Nekarios, Nikitian, and Neil.

This is especially a good idea if we go with U_P's idea, and give them each an AI.  You have to fight for a real name, and you must fight well.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 155