Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164275 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #540 on: February 17, 2015, 04:07:54 pm »

Actually, why specify who one would work under (except maybe for clearance/vouching purposes)? The way I see it, all of the admins will probably continue creating some designs from time to time and doing other 'out of the field' work, and the positions are more about responsibility and authority than strictly designated field of work. Thus I find it perfectly acceptable for an assistant or something to work with a number of admins simultaneously, helping with their jobs. I mean, I was actually myself hoping to work with/under Emp on social engineering as a part-time activity.

Personally, I agree with this. Having the heads as responsible for their department, as opposed to only doing that, seems most flexible. So a temp worker could the just pursue his projects when nobody requests his assistance, but would need to get the appropriate head involved (for permission/help/clearance).

Small thing though: I think Lars is supposed to be head of propaganda, with Charles under him. Might wanna work that out, to keep things clear (unless toaster just gives his position to charles/emp, would probably be easier. Whatever, you guys can work it out).

Whatever. Having more people coming over that weren't in administrative positions wasn't something I was really considering when I came up with the plan.

Also, I think Lars and Charles are kind of... not together, organizationally? They work together on some things, but the former is Steve's propagandist and the latter manages HR on Hephaestus. They're on separate branches of the chart, despite being significantly involved with one another in reality.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 17, 2015, 04:34:27 pm »

Actually, why specify who one would work under (except maybe for clearance/vouching purposes)? The way I see it, all of the admins will probably continue creating some designs from time to time and doing other 'out of the field' work, and the positions are more about responsibility and authority than strictly designated field of work. Thus I find it perfectly acceptable for an assistant or something to work with a number of admins simultaneously, helping with their jobs. I mean, I was actually myself hoping to work with/under Emp on social engineering as a part-time activity.

Personally, I agree with this. Having the heads as responsible for their department, as opposed to only doing that, seems most flexible. So a temp worker could the just pursue his projects when nobody requests his assistance, but would need to get the appropriate head involved (for permission/help/clearance).

Small thing though: I think Lars is supposed to be head of propaganda, with Charles under him. Might wanna work that out, to keep things clear (unless toaster just gives his position to charles/emp, would probably be easier. Whatever, you guys can work it out).

Whatever. Having more people coming over that weren't in administrative positions wasn't something I was really considering when I came up with the plan.

Also, I think Lars and Charles are kind of... not together, organizationally? They work together on some things, but the former is Steve's propagandist and the latter manages HR on Hephaestus. They're on separate branches of the chart, despite being significantly involved with one another in reality.

Well, I can understand that. But if it stays limited to 1 or 2 people at a time, it shouldn't become overwhelming, no? Besides, paris is asking you guys how you wanna do it, so if you have questions or concerns or would like to install some hurdles before one is allowed onto Hep, now is the perfect time!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #542 on: February 17, 2015, 05:15:49 pm »

Besides, I don't want to stay there forever, just one mission. And I want no power and expect no payment or equipment out of this. Just want to help by doing something that is fun and something that I believe must be done. Like a volunteer worker, if you think about it.

IC Flint is doing this because he wants to be away from the fighting for a while so that he can think about things and work out his thoughts. But he still wants to help and possibly return to the front lines later. So Hephaestus is the only place he can go.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 17, 2015, 05:19:14 pm »

I'm always happy for help and I'd presume that Flint's background would give him at least some experience in PR.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 19, 2015, 03:37:45 pm »

Quote from: Radio
Yeaaaah, let's go for something different, shall we? Would simply 'medium armor suit' be to bland?

Yeah, that's just a bit too bland for me.  I'd like something better than badgersuit though.  How about simply calling it Milnoplate?  Or, since technically Milno is blops and therefore does not exist, we could call it Miyaplate.  ;)

I'm open to suggestions--I don't really have much creativity at the moment.

I personally would vote no, I think it'd make things more complicated. I mean, if we have trouble keeping the wiki page updated, how do you think we'll fare with this? Sure, it's not entirely realistic, but it's simple and straightforward.

As the primary maintainer of the wiki, I'm also gonna say I dislike it, unless somebody else does the busywork.  I don't really think it adds much to the game, but if it doesn't *harm* me then I'm good.

Quote from: Sean
Actually, how difficult is it to maintain character stats every update? This is far less work than that. Plus if it's done every update instead of every X days, it's kept in focus - so not as likely to be accidentally forgotten.

Yeah, Sword & friends do a whole lot more work than I do, but I'm the one who updates the Hephaestus page, so my laziness is your limit.

That is, unless somebody else does the work.  If someone else steps up then I'm perfectly fine with the change.

Quote from: Paris
Hey, syvarris, Sean, Empiricist, Nikitian! Any of you need a helper/lackey? You know, someone to help with things? Talk about projects? Delegate work to? Bring you coffee?

For Syvarris, I could provide more materials to work with for expanding/creating stuff. Or just work on modifying/improving designs, like he does. Talk about designs and stuff. I've got some ideas for making LESHO/Gauss Cannon artillery cheaper/more effective, an APC chassis that can result in various models for different tasks, a weapon that could be used against large automanipulator-defended ships, etc.

Sure, I'd enjoy having a helper.  Usually, when I get into a project, I have way more ideas than I have turns to process them (before I get distracted with the next idea, at least).  Not to mention, I have lots of ideas for projects that I haven't even touched.  You might've noticed that I usually have nine 'sub actions' in most of my posts?  That's a self-imposed limit; I could easily reach fifteen or more.

Although, I'm not sure you'd have to be 'under' me to help.  I wouldn't really be comfortable having a person that I'm outright ordering around, and talking about ideas and such isn't something that I only do with subordinates, obviously.  Anyone can help with designs, or give ideas.

RPing Saint would be fun though.  Him and Flint are so... diametrically opposed, in just about every way.  I don't get to RP enough, and that would be a wonderful opportunity.

Quote from: Nik

This is probably the best route.  Allowing Paris to just be a general assistant would probably work better than locking him to one person; what would he do if his superior disappeared for awhile?  What if Paris is more interested in one project over another?  It's better to let a person mess with the stuff they find interesting.  Plus, giving players actual authority over others usually isn't fun.

That's gotta be the first time I propose a name for something that isn't immediately nuked. Hooray!

It's because you come up with dry, uninteresting names. :P

Although, wasn't it you that came up with "Heavy Robotic Body"?  Or did I?  It seems more like something you'd come up with. 

Quote from: Radio/kinda Nik
Having the heads as responsible for their department, as opposed to only doing that, seems most flexible.

For my part, I assumed that this was the case from the outset.  I'd really be rather annoyed if I were entirely locked from doing stuff outside of 'expansion'.  For example, I've been considering improving the roboguard setup immensely, mostly for RP value, but that'd fall in Sean's purview; I'd like working with him on it, but not entirely leaving it to him.  I have the same feelings about designing things and researching artifacts; I'm fine if I have to get permission from someone else, but not being allowed to do something myself would feel... restrictive.

Not to mention, purely keeping track of building facilities and robosod counts would be supremely boring.  That's wiki busywork, which I already do, and it takes up a very small fraction of what I actually do.  I would be pretty likely to just quit if I were locked to that.  :\

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 19, 2015, 08:14:25 pm »

Hey Sean, I have a quick question; would a flux capacitor be able to generate a strong enough magnetic field to propel metal shrapnel over a wide area? I was thinking instead of standard frag warheads, I'd go for flux-flechette rounds if it was possible.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 20, 2015, 01:06:30 pm »

Yeah, that's just a bit too bland for me.  I'd like something better than badgersuit though.  How about simply calling it Milnoplate?  Or, since technically Milno is blops and therefore does not exist, we could call it Miyaplate.  ;)

I'm open to suggestions--I don't really have much creativity at the moment.

Yeah, thought it'd be. To be honest, I never really like the name of milnoplate, It's not descriptive at all and (to me) also doesn't sound particularly good. And calling it Miyaplate would have the same problem, though I guess you could justify that by saying it uses his new armor materials.

How about an acronym? This thing has several layers, right? Maybe Protective Armored Layers (PAL) suit?

It's because you come up with practical, straightforward names. :P

Although, wasn't it you that came up with "Heavy Robotic Body"?  Or did I?  It seems more like something you'd come up with. 

There, much better. And no, I think it was you, though I do wholly approve of the name.

And wherever possible, I do try to strive for names that are both convenient and fun. But those are the hardest to find.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 20, 2015, 01:40:42 pm »

I made a graphic design for HRB earlier.

How do you like it, may I wonder?
Given the fact it is likely to be packed with lots of armor platings, why not Dreadnought?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 20, 2015, 02:04:05 pm »

Wait, do you mean that's a drawing of my HRB?  :D  I had assumed it was one of your own plans.

I like it.  It definitely looks cool, although it's a little different from my design.  I'd say how, but I always feel like a jerk when I criticize other people's drawings, especially seeing as I can't draw anything even remotely good.  Still, it pretty much looks like what I had imagined.

As for the name, "Dreadnought", while awesome sounding, might be a bit inaccurate.  It has slightly more than half the armor of a full size battlesuit, so while it is functionally immune to small arms fire, it can pretty easily be taken out by any real anti-tank weapons.  Also, I gotta give something a mundane name, so that Radio will let me slide on giving other things cool names  :P

@Radio

PAL isn't really accurate now, because it seems like the suit will just be a single layer of milnoplate.  Your new exoskeletons should be able to handle the weight, and adding the special armors would only drive up the cost and make the suit even more cumbersome, for very little benefit.

Also, as surprised as I am to be saying this, "Protective Armored Layers" doesn't actually seem all that descriptive.  It doesn't sound like something you'd wear, especially since 'PAL' sounds like a robotic accomplice.

Something like Juggernaut or Dreadnought doesn't seem good, since it can still fly and isn't really that tough...  Hmm.  "Armor to Coddle Your Need For an Inferior Body"?  ACYNFIB?  No, robots can use it too...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 20, 2015, 02:15:39 pm »

Also, I gotta give something a mundane name, so that Radio will let me slide on giving other things cool names

You name it the 'megafunhappyslidesupersuit' if you really want, but don't come crying to me when customers file complaints for the lack of slides (or fun) in the thing!

PAL isn't really accurate now, because it seems like the suit will just be a single layer of milnoplate.  Your new exoskeletons should be able to handle the weight, and adding the special armors would only drive up the cost and make the suit even more cumbersome, for very little benefit.

Right, was thinking of the old design. I'm really surprised that skeleton project payed so much dividends in the end (unless pw backs up again). I mean, a whole extra +1 to rolls is a rather nice upgrade.

Also, as surprised as I am to be saying this, "Protective Armored Layers" doesn't actually seem all that descriptive.  It doesn't sound like something you'd wear, especially since 'PAL' sounds like a robotic accomplice.

Something like Juggernaut or Dreadnought doesn't seem good, since it can still fly and isn't really that tough...  Hmm.  "Armor to Coddle Your Need For an Inferior Body"?  ACYNFIB?  No, robots can use it too...

Dunno, to me 'Protective Armored Layers' makes me think of something that protects, and has multiple distinct layers. But that's probably just me. Either way, the way brainstorming works is we just blurt out whatever, and see if nothing comes of it, right?

'Battlesuit Armor Suit System', BASS? Or should we stop looking in the acronym direction? Marauder armor suit?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 20, 2015, 02:20:16 pm »

Call it the Onionsuit. It's got layers, and you cry when they get peeled (off of you).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 20, 2015, 02:21:02 pm »

'Battlesuit Armor Suit System', BASS? Or should we stop looking in the acronym direction? Marauder armor suit?

Only if you incorporate the external speakers blasting dubstep.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 20, 2015, 03:24:52 pm »

Call it the Onionsuit. It's got layers, and you cry when they get peeled (off of you).
The Shrek.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 20, 2015, 03:47:50 pm »

Wait, do you mean that's a drawing of my HRB?  :D  I had assumed it was one of your own plans.

I like it.  It definitely looks cool, although it's a little different from my design.  I'd say how, but I always feel like a jerk when I criticize other people's drawings, especially seeing as I can't draw anything even remotely good.  Still, it pretty much looks like what I had imagined.

As for the name, "Dreadnought", while awesome sounding, might be a bit inaccurate.  It has slightly more than half the armor of a full size battlesuit, so while it is functionally immune to small arms fire, it can pretty easily be taken out by any real anti-tank weapons.  Also, I gotta give something a mundane name, so that Radio will let me slide on giving other things cool names  :P

Let's call it a pattern of HRB project. The idea of Dreadnought was, if new missions will include some kind of assaults in enclosed spaces, like ship or fortress corridors, there might be a need for a unit that provides extreme armor rating to protect from anything that might be deployed at such places, i.e. all sorts of handheld weaponry and something like heavy gauss cannons, even at cost of sacrificing speed and agility. For situations, where slow and steady wins the race, you know. And the robobody seems to be a good choice because it has interior space (usually taken by human insides) to deploy a source of power which will provide just enough resources to move this ton of heavy plating around. And carry massive fast-firing guns to fill corridors with death and murder and so on.
So, walking coffin.

EDIT: for heavy laser protection, I had plans to connect a microwave manipulator to secondary minor power source, so it could cool down the laser impact area.

And a question yet again. Can kinamp work as protection from solid projectiles? We face it towards the action, and when the bullet hits it, the force felt by user is decreased. If I'm getting it right that there's not much difference between hitting a piece of metal with kinamp and kinamp with piece of metal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:30:29 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 20, 2015, 04:37:24 pm »

And a question yet again. Can kinamp work as protection from solid projectiles? We face it towards the action, and when the bullet hits it, the force felt by user is decreased. If I'm getting it right that there's not much difference between hitting a piece of metal with kinamp and kinamp with piece of metal.
Keep in mind that kinetic amp is size of post stamp and covering surface of armor with them is gonna be damn expensive.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 155