Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164019 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2015, 01:14:13 pm »

I find it odd that no one has been the least bit concerned about ARESTEVE commenting on the fact that the universe is falling apart.

So what else is new, ARESTEVE?

Sean:  If you're getting that much waste heat, it tells us two things:

1)  There's a serious inefficiency happening somewhere, where all that energy is being lost as heat instead of shot out the front
2)  The power supply on that thing is absolutely incredible.

The next question is can we adjust it the other way?  Is the minute wait when the thing is fired normally because of waiting for it to cool or for it to charge back up?  If it's the former, can we can increase the fire rate and increase the cone of effect?  Could make for some interesting point defense. 
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2015, 01:17:53 pm »

If you're likely going to die within a month, why worry about the universe unraveling in a year?

((I didn't read what's happening, but that's my take.))
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2015, 01:38:08 pm »

On examination of the Mindfuck Gun:

3. The mechanics of it are beyond you; It has a vague gun like shape, but much of the rear half of it is taken up by some sort of odd enclosure, a slowly rotating dodecahedron with a greenish glow around it. The barrel, if it can be called that, appears to be a solid rod of some unknown material ending in a small, branching shape at the end. When you ask ARESTEVE about the exact way it works he starts to give you an explanation, the contents of which are about 90% incomprehensible to you. He stops, seeing your confusion, and furrows his brow.

"How should I put this...it's becoming increasingly obvious that reality is not as solid or immutable as most would believe. In fact, certain configurations of matter can cause certain interactions to behave differently or become possible. This weapon is simply creating a momentary configuration of mundane matter which causes a sympathetic change in other matter. The "spooky" connections which quantum entangled particles exhibit are merely one example of a similar process."

He pauses for a moment.

"Word of warning. As I researched this I discovered something that might be disturbing: These "spooky" connections, alignments of matter which force certain interactions, are increasing in number and variety. The effect which this thing uses didn't exist several hundred years ago."

A Very Good Question is asking whether manips and amps are related to all this.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2015, 01:45:09 pm »

I find it odd that no one has been the least bit concerned about ARESTEVE commenting on the fact that the universe is falling apart.
Honestly that probably just helps my ultimate goal of becoming a god somehow.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »

So what else is new, ARESTEVE?

Indeed. Really, almost everyone knows that something terrible is going to happen sometime soon. To me this basically says that our universe is starting to merge with whichever universe the Elder God whose nether regions we're stabbing with Obslaov Spears to get manipulators to work lives in. The underlying laws of reality are changing, and in effect this gives us more tools to work with to come up with some means of either stopping it, or surviving the transition.

Also, nobody but Saint had actually heard the explanation so far.

Sean:  If you're getting that much waste heat, it tells us two things:

1)  There's a serious inefficiency happening somewhere, where all that energy is being lost as heat instead of shot out the front
2)  The power supply on that thing is absolutely incredible.
Also 3) That thing is ridiculously sturdy if it melted through the test platform (granted it was more of a repurposed trolley) while staying relatively intact.
And 4) Holy crap it punched through a slab of cruiser armor.

Seriously, even if the waste heat problem doesn't get fixed as such, we can still wrap it in insulation and active coolers and mount it on a Battlesuit chassis, perhaps as a chest cannon. It's Unibeam material right there.

The next question is can we adjust it the other way?  Is the minute wait when the thing is fired normally because of waiting for it to cool or for it to charge back up?  If it's the former, can we can increase the fire rate and increase the cone of effect?  Could make for some interesting point defense. 
When fired normally, it's been stated that the wait time is for the power supply to recharge. The power supply is actually the largest and heaviest part of the HEP, but if you're in a battlesuit and have tokens to burn, it's implied you could custom-order a HEP with multiple power supplies chained together so you could refire it quicker.

In this case, the heat is caused not by the HEP, but by the compression mechanism. Some heating is unavoidable, but I hope with some cumulative brain bashing by a proper science team, the concept can be improved to create an infantry-wieldable weapon. (actually, in Mk suits the heating itself shouldn't be a problem, the problem is that the heat would accumulate and melt the weapon if it were to fire repeatedly)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2015, 02:04:27 pm »

Can we repurpose its power supply?  Granted, it might be some sort of capacitor-analogue bank in there as well, but surely that much juice for one shot could be taken elsewhere.  From my imperfect understanding, it sounds better than what we have on a lot of things.

(actually, in Mk suits the heating itself shouldn't be a problem, the problem is that the heat would accumulate and melt the weapon if it were to fire repeatedly)

Nonsense; just weaponize the heat as well.

So you ready for the 7/8ths test?  Be sure to set up some multiple plates.  Also, how wide was the hole left by the 3/4 test?

EDIT:  Intel I find suggests that the beam from a HEP is about two meters across.  That'd make the 3/4 setting beam half a meter, which is still a very impressive hole that would almost certainly ruin a battlesuit's day, and probably make a cruiser very sad as well.  At some point we should test the beam's dispersal in space to check its range.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:18:10 pm by Toaster »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2015, 02:31:07 pm »

Can we repurpose its power supply?  Granted, it might be some sort of capacitor-analogue bank in there as well, but surely that much juice for one shot could be taken elsewhere.  From my imperfect understanding, it sounds better than what we have on a lot of things.
Its power supply is rather specialized, I think. Exotic energy or some such. Otherwise we would've already been using it.

Though it is a thing we should probably check, yeah. Even if it can't be used as-is, perhaps a power converter of some form could be created to power our more conventional planetary laser defenses or gauss cannons?

I also suddenly have a very evil idea about the gauss cannons, but that's going to be another long research project.

So you ready for the 7/8ths test?  Be sure to set up some multiple plates.  Also, how wide was the hole left by the 3/4 test?
7/8ths would probably cause it to plasmarize. And we no longer have a test stand.

If the HEP is the same as the pyramid weapon, and the pyramid weapon is the same as the one used by the Sentinel in that first mission, then the tunnel it creates is 2 meters across - that was the first concrete number I found. At 3/4ths compression, the hole would be 50cm across. 25cm at 7/8ths, 12.5cm at 15/16ths, 6.25cm at 31/32nds, and 31.25mm at 63/64ths.

Basically, at the compression ratio to get the beam width I'd ideally like (half-inch-abouts), the prototype as is would briefly rival the Sun's core for temperature. Very briefly. We need an automanip-powered cooling system there at minimum, to even try to go beyond 7/8ths.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2015, 02:57:16 pm »

Yeah, that's the source I found.

What are the stats on the cruiser plate you're using?  Do you really need to be able to penetrate...

* Toaster does math on focusing power

Oh... 40-50 or so plates of it?  Hard to tell for sure since the 3/4 shot went through a plate "and some change."

Like I said, weaponize the waste heat... though that much heat might be tricky.  Can we set up some sort of thermoelectric effect generators to use this heat to generate power to charge it back up faster?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2015, 03:20:08 pm »

Yeah, that's the source I found.

What are the stats on the cruiser plate you're using?  Do you really need to be able to penetrate...

* Toaster does math on focusing power

Oh... 40-50 or so plates of it?  Hard to tell for sure since the 3/4 shot went through a plate "and some change."
I don't honestly know. Ideally I'd want it to be able to blast a Battlesuit with enough power to take it down, and a HEP only gets through one layer of armor, and even then mostly by sheer force of shock ablation. I'm assuming a 3/4 concentrated beam would punch through 3-4 layers, and probably fold the suit in half and/or bowl it over because of much smaller contact area, so already a much more useful weapon. 7/8ths would be firmly in "one-hit-takedown" territory, and maybe even good enough to stagger an Avatar with a good hit.

Ultimately though? I want to know how far it can be pushed. Yes, if I can make it burn through 40 slabs of cruiser armor without disintegrating itself and everything within 50 meters of it, I'd like to have that. You can never have too much destructive power. One other thing I'd like to test is range. The HEP is limited to medium range. I'm altering the geometry of the output here, does it effect maximum range the same way it effects penetrative power?

Like I said, weaponize the waste heat... though that much heat might be tricky.  Can we set up some sort of thermoelectric effect generators to use this heat to generate power to charge it back up faster?
Probably. But it's usually better not to have waste heat in the first place. If heat were so easy to recycle, Mk suits would just use their heat exchangers as power plants.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2015, 03:31:01 pm »

Spoiler: @Sean Mirrsen (click to show/hide)

Thoughts on the turn(s): Huh.  So the universe is deteriorating.  I'll bet Steve's trying to solve that.  Saint doesn't really care, considering he should be dead already by the end.  Sean, Saint wouldn't mention that stuff to Anton normally, but he'll do it if you want.  Might be an interesting conversation.

Also, the explanation for the mindfucker is basically identical to something I said in the past, about replicating space magic items.  I think I was talking about Simus' phase suit, and pointed out that maybe the magic effect is created by matter arranged in some specific pattern, which we don't understand, but can replicate by placing matter in the same pattern.

@PW

I find it strange that you gave a range in angstroms, but didn't even double check your equation.  I'm guessing you meant to put a period after the first one, so that it was 1.61*1011 rather than 161*1011?  That makes it 16.1 meters rather than 1,610 meters.

@HEP width

I was under the impression that the HEP doesn't really have a beam 'width' so much as a massive amount of spread.  Like an energy shotgun, of sorts.  If they don't have spread, then it's uselessness at range is probably related to something else, which might not be as easy to circumvent.

Also, a half-inch?  Sure, that would be decent for (slowly) de-pressurizing things, but what actual damage would it do?  It wouldn't even open a decent hole for something like an FEL blast.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2015, 03:39:26 pm »

Its power supply is rather specialized, I think. Exotic energy or some such. Otherwise we would've already been using it.
Last time I tinkered with power systems, I believe that HEP was said to have a mundane power generator (and a  comparatively weak at that, only 5 TPU) that just supplied energy directly to the HEP 'black box' and once enough energy was supplied, it would fire. Capacitor banks for a single spare shot energy were just far too bulky for an ordinary person to carry (something like a few times the size of a backpack, IIRC - perfectly fine for a battlesuit, of course).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2015, 03:42:06 pm »

Leaving the larger part of the post for a later reply when I don't have to sleep soon,:

Also, a half-inch?  Sure, that would be decent for (slowly) de-pressurizing things, but what actual damage would it do?  It wouldn't even open a decent hole for something like an FEL blast.
Mm, I was thinking of using it as a cutting beam. Give it several seconds of firing time and enough power to slice battleship plate like butter, and you can do a lot of damage with a sweep. From the several times it was used, I didn't get the impression that the HEP was an instant-fire sort of weapon, just one with a fairly short discharge time.

Plus, critical hits. I'm sure a half-inch hole in the ship's main powerplant would be a problem. Or in main anything, really. Target the main starboard coffeemaker! :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:44:08 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2015, 03:59:46 pm »

Ultimately though? I want to know how far it can be pushed.

I can totally respect this.

One other thing I'd like to test is range. The HEP is limited to medium range. I'm altering the geometry of the output here, does it effect maximum range the same way it effects penetrative power?

Indeed, though have we ever tested the range factor as a problem of range itself or of just using up all the energy on whatever comes between?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2015, 02:36:46 am »

Somewhat unrelatedly, I think we should start formulating a list of things we're sending to the Sword with the next shipment, besides another gaggle of sods.

My plans for Anton's contributions so far include:

3 Plasma Stake weapons - Battlesuit sized, with two autoloaders for optional installation, plus ammo. The crew might have some spare battlesuits to test these with if the base assault goes well.

1 MkIII-A prototype. I'm unwilling to let go the idea of a specialized atmospheric/aquatic mobility suit, so Anton will probably just swap a MkIII's rockets for ducted fans and airfoils, fit it with a generator, and give it the programming from the MACS project. It might not find permanent use in the ARM special forces on the Sword, which frequently have to go into airless environments, but any planetary forces might make good use of them if the test goes well.

Hopefully, a High Energy Blast Cannon prototype - yes, I'm already coming up with names for the critically unstable prototype technology that's as likely to melt the user as it is the enemy. :P

Do we have any discrete plans for personal armor prototypes using the new materials, or are we just upgrading existing suits with them?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2015, 02:37:59 am »

If you let me out of storage I could make another clone and send it to the Sword so I could start flooding the place with clones of myself.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 155