Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 70217 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2014, 12:45:45 am »

I think you guys are suffering from the old "forgot to check neighborhood before embarking" problem
There are like half a dozen people in the thread including myself who said they embarked in the same tile or right next to gigantic civilizations full of goblins and still don't get attacked for years and years...
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2014, 05:06:58 am »

I think you guys are suffering from the old "forgot to check neighborhood before embarking" problem
There are like half a dozen people in the thread including myself who said they embarked in the same tile or right next to gigantic civilizations full of goblins and still don't get attacked for years and years...

...which is certainly a serious problem, which may be the fault of goblins not sending out raiding parties or the camps not moving bug that Robsole posted.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2014, 05:35:56 am »

I would also like some slightly tougher beasts for later in the game or more dragons and rocs. Cyclops wanders onto the map in year 7:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll start training my civilians for war now. Somebody could have got hurt! =P
Just kids...

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2014, 07:27:19 am »

The cyclops certainly should not have fainted after being hit in the hand. That was not the case for even human soldiers in history, never mind giant monsters. A hit in the hand should stop use of that hand, but not disable an opponent completely in the same way that broken legs would.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2014, 08:25:37 am »

It's entirely too easy for someone to pass out from pain.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2014, 08:26:02 am »

Six months have passed. I'm beginning to equip my civilians now, training begins next month.

The Giantess Nemen Illuduthra has come!
A gigantic creature resembling a human, almost unparalleled in size!

Oh...

I expected a gigantic creature of unparalleled size to be a tiny bit more pain resistant. I get that they can't hit a legendary swordsdwarf but it would be nice if they would not give in to pain after the first strike... :'(
Just kids...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2014, 08:28:15 am »

The way it works right now is the first guy to get injured passes out so the only way for something to be remotely threatening is for it to be difficult to hit (try to avoid flanking something with more than two dwarves), heavily armored, or incapable of feeling pain.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2014, 08:38:21 am »

Semimegabeasts are nonthreatening, this ain't nothing new. They have been weak since 0.31 at least. You want a challenge ? Bronze colossus, hydra, dragon, or a good forgotten beast.

More dragons and rocs is totally possible (just increase the number of megabeast "caves" which is actually a limit on the number of megabeasts), the only issue is that they start to burninate towns to the ground and i'm pretty sure 10x normal number of megabeasts (as i have now) kills off civilizations.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:41:18 am by Naryar »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2014, 10:27:57 am »

The way it works right now is the first guy to get injured passes out so the only way for something to be remotely threatening is for it to be difficult to hit (try to avoid flanking something with more than two dwarves), heavily armored, or incapable of feeling pain.

This system is daft. Animals often fight after being injured worse than the wounds described. The whole gives in to pain thing needs to be massively reduced.

For old times' sake.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2014, 10:50:20 am »

Oh...

I expected a gigantic creature of unparalleled size to be a tiny bit more pain resistant. I get that they can't hit a legendary swordsdwarf but it would be nice if they would not give in to pain after the first strike... :'([/spoiler]
See how it says "fracturing the bone"?
That is the problem, bones have waaay too many pain receptors right now.
You need to go to your raw folder and change tissue_template_default to make bone have less pain receptors, I have it on 17.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2014, 10:53:09 am »

This system is daft. Animals often fight after being injured worse than the wounds described. The whole gives in to pain thing needs to be massively reduced.

Yeah, theres a bug report or two on it.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2014, 11:49:03 am »

Semimegabeasts are nonthreatening, this ain't nothing new. They have been weak since 0.31 at least. You want a challenge ? Bronze colossus, hydra, dragon, or a good forgotten beast.
After the cyclops I reloaded and didn't send in my military. The cyclops did quite a number on my civilians. They can be quite dangerous in an early fort but not after 7 years. I have 40 legendary swordsdorfs (and 10 lazy-ass markdorfs who only train a couple of hours when they feel like it).

A giantess or cyclops could bring some family or friends later in the game. That would make the fight more interesting. Or maybe they could use a door or table as shield and a log as club...   :D

I think the main problem is that the balance probably works well for adventure mode but is too easy for fortress mode. Some enemy types are too rare. I've never seen a bronze colossus, hydra, roc or dragon! Never had a vampire in my fort either. My fort size is 82+4 kids with 3.5 million in wealth so the FUN stuff should trigger.
Just kids...

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2014, 12:23:03 pm »

You need to go to your raw folder and change tissue_template_default to make bone have less pain receptors, I have it on 17.

As soon as I read "bones have pain receptors" I knew something was wrong. All receptors of any kind are found in the flesh, most in the skin. While a raws edit could solve these problems (there should really be a "better raws" mod, maybe I should make one), it would be much better if it was fixed by default.

For old times' sake.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2014, 12:58:15 pm »

I can say from experience that simple bone fractures are not very painful. Well, clean bone fractures at least.

However, the hand has quite a bit of bones and cartilage so fractures are messy AND the hand has the most receptors of any body surface overall (no idea about if it has the most pain receptors of any body surface), so there's also that.

Still I doubt a broken hand would have people (or cyclopses) pass out from the pain. Have maluses to fighting due to shock doubtlessly, but pass out from the pain ?

After the cyclops I reloaded and didn't send in my military. The cyclops did quite a number on my civilians. They can be quite dangerous in an early fort but not after 7 years. I have 40 legendary swordsdorfs (and 10 lazy-ass markdorfs who only train a couple of hours when they feel like it).

Well, yeah, any semimegabeast will kill civilian dwarves easily (then again if they fall on an adept miner it's another thing). They are however rather weak against any worthy militia.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:08:37 pm by Naryar »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2014, 01:05:09 pm »

As soon as I read "bones have pain receptors" I knew something was wrong. All receptors of any kind are found in the flesh, most in the skin. While a raws edit could solve these problems (there should really be a "better raws" mod, maybe I should make one), it would be much better if it was fixed by default.
In fact, it appears from my cursory raw examination that the bones in DF have the biggest number of pain receptors out of all tissues!

In fact, it's 10 times bigger than the next runner up (50 for bones vs 5 for skin, muscles and the like).

Hilariously enough, the actual nervous tissue doesn't appear to have any pain receptors in it at all. YEAH.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28